New Audio Technica ATH-M50x with Removable Cable
Dec 6, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #616 of 958
  For DJing purposes (I'm just starting into Latin music DJing, salsa and bachata), how do these stack up against the Pioneer HDJ 2000? From what I've read in the reviews seems like the HDJ2000 might have slightly better sound quality, but I'm not sure if it's worth almost twice the price for it? Would love some quick hits as to why I should get one over the other =)

If you can afford a DJ2000, go for the Sennheiser HD7 DJ instead.

Dec 10, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #617 of 958
I'm looking to upgrade from my UE 6000 and am considering the M50x and Takstar Pro 80. Can anyone compare the two? 

I will be using them for music listening and watching videos strictly, out of an SMSL M2 amp/dac. Thanks in advance :)

Dec 11, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #618 of 958
Does anybody know if the MSR7's microphone cable can work with the M50x?

Take it with a grain of salt but David Carnoy of CNET claimed Audio-Technica couldn't make a mic'd cable for the M50x. I'm pretty sure they either didn't bother to or were waiting for the MSR7 to have it as a selling point.

Dec 11, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #619 of 958
More like they didn't want to.  Why wait?

Dec 11, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #620 of 958
  More like they didn't want to.  Why wait?

It just increases the selling point of the MSR7. It's like how the iPhone 4 doesn't have Siri despite that it is perfectly able to run it.

The MSR7 looks interesting but how does it compare to the M50? A French review said it was sibilant and Japanese user reviews on Kakaku seem to become more polarized now (some users complaining about build quality and comfort)

Dec 11, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #621 of 958

Does anybody know if the MSR7's microphone cable can work with the M50x?

Take it with a grain of salt but David Carnoy of CNET claimed Audio-Technica couldn't make a mic'd cable for the M50x. I'm pretty sure they either didn't bother to or were waiting for the MSR7 to have it as a selling point.

AT won't make cable with inline-microphone for M50x because the M50 is not intended for consumer usage, thus they don't see the need to do so. But seeing the popularity M50 (and M50x) has with the consumers, they decided to come up with the MSR7 product to cater for the demand. Who knows, if the MSR7 is well received and gains popularity, they may even stop selling M50 and M50x to consumers.

It just increases the selling point of the MSR7. It's like how the iPhone 4 doesn't have Siri despite that it is perfectly able to run it.

The MSR7 looks interesting but how does it compare to the M50? A French review said it was sibilant and Japanese user reviews on Kakaku seem to become more polarized now (some users complaining about build quality and comfort)

IMO, I will take MSR7 over M50 anytime. Yes, it is sibilant but the overall sound signature caters to the mainstream genres so I think most people will probably like it. As for build quality, I feel it is decent though definitely not as durable as M50, which like the HD25, is built to stand abusive usage. 

I like the color scheme of the MSR7LTD, looks like something Tony Stark would approve 
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 11, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #622 of 958

The m50 has more bloated bass while having recessed mids. The treble sounds good but it is grainy along with the mids as well.

The soundstage is laughable compared to the msr7s.

I briefly auditioned it and can confidently state that the msr7s beat the m50 technically.

However, the msr7s do suffer sibilance to my hearing, but most people at the thread find the msr7 to be pleasing. The mids and treble are the main stars of the Headphone's SQ.

IMO, I will take MSR7 over M50 anytime. Yes, it is sibilant but the overall sound signature caters to the mainstream genres so I think most people will probably like it. As for build quality, I feel it is decent though definitely not as durable as M50, which like the HD25, is built to stand abusive usage. 

I like the color scheme of the MSR7LTD, looks like something Tony Stark would approve 
tongue_smile.gif

Doesn't the soundstage also beat the m50s by a landslide?

I thought that was just me, but it could be that the headphone contains such prowess to do so.

Why can't audio technica tone down the damn sibilance? This is what agitates me about the company. Yes,  they're doing it for marketshare, fantastic. However, the lower treble did not deserve to be exponentially increased to the point of sibilance, gosh dang. 

I find housing build quality to be fantastic.

However, the problem lies on the headband and housing connection, where the idea of using plastic to connect both the housing and headband becomes ludicrous...

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #623 of 958
  The m50 has more bloated bass while having recessed mids. The treble sounds good but it is grainy along with the mids as well.

The soundstage is laughable compared to the msr7s.

I briefly auditioned it and can confidently state that the msr7s beat the m50 technically.

However, the msr7s do suffer sibilance to my hearing, but most people at the thread find the msr7 to be pleasing. The mids and treble are the main stars of the Headphone's SQ.

Doesn't the soundstage also beat the m50s by a landslide?

I thought that was just me, but it could be that the headphone contains such prowess to do so.

Why can't audio technica tone down the damn sibilance? This is what agitates me about the company. Yes,  they're doing it for marketshare, fantastic. However, the lower treble did not deserve to be exponentially increased to the point of sibilance, gosh dang. 

I find housing build quality to be fantastic.

However, the problem lies on the headband and housing connection, where the idea of using plastic to connect both the housing and headband becomes ludicrous...

Yes, I do agree on both the sound stage and sibilance. The sibilance did took me by surprise. Didn't expect it to be so obvious, will try to feedback to the local GM but from what I've heard, AT engineers can be pretty stubborn and sometimes have weird thinkings (the GM's words)

Dec 11, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #624 of 958
  AT won't make cable with inline-microphone for M50x because the M50 is not intended for consumer usage, thus they don't see the need to do so. But seeing the popularity M50 (and M50x) has with the consumers, they decided to come up with the MSR7 product to cater for the demand. Who knows, if the MSR7 is well received and gains popularity, they may even stop selling M50 and M50x to consumers.

That's not what the M50x/40x short cable says to me.

Dec 11, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #625 of 958

I second that, though I find it a bit strange the 40x does not have a short cable included as it is the cheaper headphone and would probably be more ideal for portable use. I feel the MSR7 was intended to respond to the "hi-res" market which I personally take with a grain of salt.

I see quite a few people M50's, M50x and some M40x commuting to school. Those with the M50s and M40x always have their cords wrapped around in their pockets which seems really cumbersome.

I also feel like the "following" of the M50x has not been as great as the M50, with some critics stating the M40x sounds better and a better bargain. Head-Fi's gift guide also puts the original M50 rather than change it to the M50x. 

Dec 11, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #626 of 958
I thought M40x included the short cable, too.  Oh, AT.
They really should have.

"Grain" of salt?  Try a crate or two, hahahaha!

M50 can be had new a good bit cheaper than M50x, maybe that's not helping M50x's popularity.  Also, so many pre-existing M50 fans and people raving about M50 cannot be helping M50x as well.  Well, in the US at least, is my guess.

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #627 of 958
My ATH-M50x review!

http://headphonereviews101.blogspot.sg/2014/12/audio-technica-ath-m50x-has-to-be-one.html?m=1

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #628 of 958
The M40x isn't better than the M50x. The bass definitely is not as well extended and the treble is actually more edgy

Dec 12, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #629 of 958

Still, they could have gone one step further to include the cable with inline microphone, just like the MSR7, which they chose not to. Simply because they don't think the intended market for the M50x needs it. However, they can't ignore the fact that M50 is so popular with those outside of the the target group,so including short cable on the M50x will please these people.

Dec 12, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #630 of 958
^please get ur facts right. Audio technica said they could not include a microphone as the adapter needed for it to compatible with the 2.5mm jack and the proprietary locking mechanism is not available

Users who are viewing this thread

Back