New Audio Technica ATH-M50x with Removable Cable
Aug 1, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #482 of 958
  I've received the cable today and can confirm that it fits the M50x perfectly. The cable is thinner than the stock cable, but I can’t hear a difference in sound quality. All three buttons work on my Android phone, which is great since usually only the center button works on Android devices. I can’t test iDevices since I don’t own one. The mic sounds good too.

Here are some pics: http://imgur.com/a/CYmVm

Kinda bummed but the mic and the volume controls just stopped working on this cable.  It has been <30 days :frowning2:.  I've contacted the Ebay seller to see if they will ship a new one.  Hopefully they will. Honestly, hopefully Audio Technica realizes the community wants this capability on these headphones!

Just wanted to pass this info to the community.

-Paul

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #483 of 958

does the volume buttons work?!?!?!? omg that would be amazinggg

I bought the ebay cable to use with my Mac for phone calls and iPhone for travel and it just broke after <30 days.  It's odd, after several minutes of use the mic just stops working as well as the volume up and down buttons :frowning2:.  I've sent a note to the Ebay seller but when it worked it worked well.

The cable is definitely thinner than the stock Audio Technica cables.  

For Apple fans, volume up, down, track skip, and calls all work well and sound clear.  Just not so sure of the cable longevity.

-Paul

Aug 1, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #485 of 958
Great info here...thanks.  I've only upgraded the ear pads with these Shure replacements.  Nice upgrade for my big head...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Z9JWZS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

biggrin.gif

HS

Aug 3, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #486 of 958
Just wanted to post a follow up regarding the Ebay cable.  Contacted the merchant and they've shipped another cable free of charge.  While I'm disappointed that the original cable failed, I'm *very* happy with the great support thus far.  I'll keep you all updated if the 2nd happens to die...

Aug 6, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #487 of 958
So what's the consensus guys, do the m50x sound different than the m50? I have a 3 year old m50 but it's got the coiled cable, I wouldn't buy the m50x for the cable options alone, but hey if the sound changed I'm game. Does anyone know for sure? Lots of conflicting reports going around (please don't make me read this entire thread lol)

Aug 8, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #490 of 958
So what's the consensus guys, do the m50x sound different than the m50? I have a 3 year old m50 but it's got the coiled cable, I wouldn't buy the m50x for the cable options alone, but hey if the sound changed I'm game. Does anyone know for sure? Lots of conflicting reports going around (please don't make me read this entire thread lol)

check out the review at inner fidelity, they do a good comparison between the old and new.  bottom line, the m50x DOES sound different, even though AT claims they haven't changed anything.

some on this forum have noted that the older m50 sounds different to newer m50, and it was more than just wear.  seems AT tweaked the m50 headphones over time, so perhaps the new m50x sounds the same as the newer m50, but if you have an older one, the m50x should be quite different.  whether you prefer one or the other depends on your preferences, would suggest AB testing them at the shop.

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #492 of 958
Movies? They don't have much of a boom so you won't get a-lot of feeling. Games? The sound-stage on these is small so don't expect much from games with them. Music.. They sound good but with rock/metal they can get cramped. They're decent headphones but the flaws can be heard once you try on another type of headphone, open ear, ect.

Aug 8, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #494 of 958
check out the review at inner fidelity, they do a good comparison between the old and new.  bottom line, the m50x DOES sound different, even though AT claims they haven't changed anything.

some on this forum have noted that the older m50 sounds different to newer m50, and it was more than just wear.  seems AT tweaked the m50 headphones over time, so perhaps the new m50x sounds the same as the newer m50, but if you have an older one, the m50x should be quite different.  whether you prefer one or the other depends on your preferences, would suggest AB testing them at the shop.

Thanks. I did look at that Innerfidelity review and the measurements. Hmmm I don't think these m50s need more bass, but yes I'm with you, I think it's much more likely that the the newer batch of M50s sound exactly like the M50x. The one I have is the general "v shaped" one but only slightly. I did buy an M50 for my nephew last week for like $120 and now I'm cursing myself because I saw the M50x on sale for $122. Worst feeling ever

Aug 8, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #495 of 958
What would you recommend out of 
ATH-M50x or Denon AHD1100BK

Gonna be listening to trance/house music as well as songs with many instruments.

I have the M50 and those Denons, I think the M50x is the rather easy choice. The Denon has stronger bass but it's also muddy and the mids are unbelievably recessed. The M50 highs are also more lively and sparkly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back