New Audio Technica ATH-M50x with Removable Cable
Jun 25, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #436 of 958
what is weird is that over where i live in singapore the M50x is actually cheaper by S$20 as compared to the M50. Its a no brainer for the M50x, which is why i bought it.

Jun 25, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #438 of 958
  I heard slightly richer bass in the m50x vs m50 as well (at the store I went to do the demo, the sales had her own m50 that she's been using a while).  I think the inner fidelity test showing the 10kHz attenuation vs m50 and the slight twist in response curve is pretty spot on.  The sales said she thought the SQ between the 2 are quite different as well (she prefers the new m50x).

The possible explanation could be that the m50 themselves were tweaked over time.  Seems some people have seen different versions of the m50, and perhaps the last version is similar to the new m50x.
Most agree that the new m40x is closest to the original m50, with a very flat response curve.

I found the original M50 had a slightly wooly and uncontrolled bass. The X is more to my taste with it's tighter bass, even though the M50 was still pretty good.

Jun 25, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #439 of 958
  E07k is an update of the old E7.  Compared to the E17 it uses the same DAC chip but a less powerful amp chip I believe.  

Do you know what they did with the E18 to make it compatible with more phones?  In any case I'll go try to find a shop with demo units to see if either works with my phone.  The E07k is roughly half the price of the E18, and despite the E18 having 3x the battery capacity somehow the rated usage time is the same as the E07k.  Will go see if there's any major sonic differences...I'll be primarily using this with my phone and laptop for casual listening, so didn't want to spend TOO much.

be sure to bring an android otg cable!

Jun 25, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #441 of 958
haha i know how u feel :D

Jun 25, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #442 of 958
I like it that this thread has not been affected by the infamous M50 spammers - people who just randomly post on a thread saying things like 'the M50 is the best'.

Jun 26, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #443 of 958
Or those who hate on M50, which is why I was expecting more than one person to take a shot at the M50x and sooner.

Jun 27, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #444 of 958
so far those that dont really like it have reasons though... not like those who randomly curse at it...

Jun 27, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #447 of 958
I decided to use my Amperiors today to see the difference, and I actually much prefer the M50X's. And the y cost about half as much lol.

I was planning to get amperiors or hd25 1 II, because I wanna have some on ears for a change and add sennheisers to my collection.

Now you said this i lost my desire in them hehe. :)

Don't get me wrong I still like the amperiors, I like the idea of them parts being replaceable and heard great things about them.:D

Sorry for the off topic.

Jun 27, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #448 of 958
I was planning to get amperiors or hd25 1 II, because I wanna have some on ears for a change and add sennheisers to my collection.

Now you said this i lost my desire in them hehe.
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't get me wrong I still like the amperiors, I like the idea of them parts being replaceable and heard great things about them.
biggrin.gif

Sorry for the off topic.

ahh the m50s (i haven't had the chance to try out the x) are much bassier than the amps and more v shaped sounding

the amps have a more forward vocals (especially female vocals) but it can get a bit harsh on some recordings. still love em to death because they really are almost the complete portable package. my only quibbles are the design (its not the most attractive and the goofy split headband (but its definitely helps for stability), and the slight roll off in the subbass and the slightly harsh treble.

otherwise its durable, sound amazing for the most part, exciting, replaceable cables (along with everything else), isolates well (getting the pleather pads to see if it isolates even more), secure on head, small and portable, and fairly comfortable for an on ear

Jun 27, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #449 of 958
  ahh the m50s (i haven't had the chance to try out the x) are much bassier than the amps and more v shaped sounding

the amps have a more forward vocals (especially female vocals) but it can get a bit harsh on some recordings. still love em to death because they really are almost the complete portable package. my only quibbles are the design (its not the most attractive and the goofy split headband (but its definitely helps for stability), and the slight roll off in the subbass and the slightly harsh treble.

otherwise its durable, sound amazing for the most part, exciting, replaceable cables (along with everything else), isolates well (getting the pleather pads to see if it isolates even more), secure on head, small and portable, and fairly comfortable for an on ear

The M50X is much less V-shaped than the M50's. I still found the bass of the Amp's a little less well defined in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back