New Audio Technica ATH-M50x with Removable Cable
Jun 17, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #407 of 958
Listening using headphones to a video of recordings of sounds produced by headphones is not correct, as the headphones u use will further colour the sound and also, the songs they use is not what u usually listen to. better to try a live demo at a shop if possible using your own device and music files.

Jun 17, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #408 of 958
Bring your own reference material in lossless quality and have some tracks planned out to test specific aspects of the headphone. Bear in mind they probably won't be burned in.

In regards to the m50x, I agree that a new flagship would bring in a lot of upgraders, but they would have to keep the price constrained to under $200 and really improve the sound. Could they do it?

Jun 17, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #409 of 958
  I have a couple of questions about these headphones, hopefully they haven't already been asked somewhere in the 27 page long thread D:
- My main motivation for buying these would be gaming, not competitive, just immersion. Can anyone comment on their capabilities in this respect?
- To clarify, the three cables that ship with these cans plug into the headphones with the 2.5mm end and have a 3.5mm on the other end? And the included adapter is a 3.5mm to quarter inch? 

The m50s will be great for gaming if you just want some fun punchy sound. They accentuate the bass to provide deep boomy explosions. If you're looking for 7.1 surround for FPS you're out of luck. If you're just looking to spend ~$100 on a pair of decent cans to improve your computer station, then look no further.

Jun 17, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #412 of 958
Base on the comment in this video (Sony MDR7506 vs Audio-Technica ATH-M40x vs Sennheiser HD280 PRo)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udLoAV7YmjA
One person owning 2 of the headphones in the list agreed with how they sound.

At least I think I can use the sound signature to decide on soundstage, warm, boommy, sibilance etc. Can't really test headphones locally.

Cheers, Andy

Jun 17, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #413 of 958
lol go look at frequency response graphs. they will tell u more about how they sound rather than through a video.

Jun 18, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #416 of 958
omg why is everyone watching those videos?

Jun 19, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #418 of 958
HAHAHAHA XD XD

Jun 23, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #420 of 958
Hi everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I just got the m50x blue version, found a shop in Hong Kong that was selling it at the same price as the black one so it was an easy choice!  Also I just couldn't resist the lovely blue and tan colors plus the embossed AT logo anyway haha

This is my first pair of serious headphones, previously I've only used IEMs (my long time pair being the UE TripleFi 10s), but wanted something more for home use or long plane rides.  The sound is very rich and relatively flat, definitely an upgrade over my TF10s.  

I demoed the m50x vs m20x before I made the purchase (30x and 40x not yet available), it's definitely a huge difference.  I guess the difference is smaller between each consecutive model, but it adds up to quite a big difference over 3 model steps.  Still, the 20x is pretty good quality if budget is tight.

Anyway, a few questions:
- does anyone know roughly how long will the earpads last?  I'll be using these for short periods daily or every other day.  I doubt AT would make that many brown earpad replacements given the limited edition status, so I'm wondering if I should get a set now as a backup (or will they deteriorate over time even without usage?) or get regular black ones later on...the colors don't clash THAT much but the brown pads do look lovely.  I read that the beyer DT 250 pads will fit the m50x?  are there any other options?

- I'm looking to experiment with entry level DACs for the laptop and android phone to use with the 50x.  read some reviews online, seems fiio e07k and e18 are pretty good for the price, e07k fantastic value but e18 may be compatible with more phones.  Will go try these out in the shops sometime, but do you have any other suggestions in the 100-200 USD or so price range that would be suitable for the 50x?

- replacement cables...saw the post about the HD598/558/518 cables fitting the 50x.  can anyone confirm that it's a perfect match?  if so I'll order them online (taobao.com) as they allow you to select different plugs/wires/android or iphone mic etc.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back