New Audio Technica ATH-M50x with Removable Cable
May 18, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #286 of 958
#everyone wears beats, i wear my Nad Viso HP50, PSB M4U1 or ATH-M50x with my fiio x3 and fiio e11, and everyone thinks i am a freak. :frowning2:

May 18, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #287 of 958
#everyone wears beats, i wear my Nad Viso HP50, PSB M4U1 or ATH-M50x with my fiio x3 and fiio e11, and everyone thinks i am a freak.
frown.gif

well those headphones you have are on the "bigger side"

the beats are a more slimming 

but personally i think the hp50's headband is really weird. i mean in terms of ergonomics, theres so much space on the sides between the headband and the head, puts a lot of pressure on the middle to support it on the head=== hot spot

the aesthetic design factor for outdoor use is another thing  the square headband looks soo odd and huge looking.

plus most people don't use amps, its an extra piece of gear to lug around and depending how its attached it gets cumbersome

unless you use velcro straps sticking it on the back of your portable media player (that takes away a lot of issues) just becomes one intergrated device.

May 18, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #288 of 958
#everyone wears beats, i wear my Nad Viso HP50, PSB M4U1 or ATH-M50x with my fiio x3 and fiio e11, and everyone thinks i am a freak. :frowning2:

How much of an improvement would you categorize the HP50 over the m50x? I returned the hp50 because of fit issues and the stupid headband was also uncomfortable and ugly.... But I loved the sound!!

I plan on getting something like the hd600 at home and maybe the m50x on the go

May 18, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #290 of 958
No u cannot use the v-moda cable unless audio technica makes an adaptor. I like the way the HP50's look, and i actually absolutely love it. Just that people think i am a freak because i dont spend money on beats and on some 'unknown' brand and spend over $200 for a fiio x3 DAP they class as a normal mp3 player. What crap. I find comfort and solace whenevr i can among my audiophile buddies.

May 20, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #293 of 958
Woah i have said this so many times on this thread. There is a difference between the m50x and m50. The m50x has the 10kHz peak the m50 had almost totally removed, so the treble is less strident and the treble is extremely good with almost no issues, resulting in better imaging. Soundstage seems a little better to me, maybe also due to the treble, and the bass is a little more emphasised but still very well extended.

May 20, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #294 of 958
With the HP50, u will definitely hear a difference. The HP50 is more refined sounding with less recessed mids and better bass. The HP50 was also designed in collaboration with Paul Barton, the guy who made the PSB M4U1 and M4U2. However, with the HP50, it was about finding a target frequency response that woul please people and not about being neutral, so even though it has the same RoomFeel sound as the PSBs (meaning it sounds like good speakers in a room), it is less neutral and more warmer sounding than the PSBs.

May 21, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #295 of 958
Hi all,

I was really interested in purchasing these M50x's as well but the only thing holding me back was the lack of a mic\volume control (since I have a mac that can be controlled via the inline remote). Then I did some research and found an aftermarket volume\mic for the Sennheiser's (HD598's) that may in fact fit the Audio Technica's both cables go from 2.5mm (with a similar lock-in groove) to 3.5mm. Take a look, it looks like we may have a winner!!!!

here is a link to the cable on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Cable-Remote-Mic-for-HTC-Phone-to-Sennheiser-HD598-HD558-HD518-Headphone-/310815708172

and amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Remote-connect-iphone-Sennheiser/dp/B00IMEOIWC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0E2PBTAPJZ2W2RSFB8VC

Audio Technica's jack 

Here is the HD598's replacement cable

May 21, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #296 of 958
I want the blue and peanut butter headphones so bad... I've been using IEMs all my life. I'm using the GR07 MKII right now and I'm afraid if I get these, I'll be disappointed in them because of the often talked about recessed mids. I wish there was a store that allows people to audition these. By any chance, has any M50x owners listened with the GR07s?

May 22, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #297 of 958
The locking adaptor for the cables is not the same. The ATH-M50x ones go all the way in.

May 22, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #298 of 958
Not sure if it's been asked, didn't find everything with a quick scan of the thread, but...

AT announced that the M50x would have a better headband material. Does that refer to the padding inside, or the leathery material on the outside? And did they do the same thing to the pads on the earcups as well? I hated when my earcups got all weird and hard after not tons of use.

I want a budget replacement for my original M50s, and this model looks like it solves just about all the beefs I had with the M50s!

May 22, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #299 of 958
Headband is softer, the earpads are not as hard and are softer.

May 22, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #300 of 958
The locking adaptor for the cables is not the same. The ATH-M50x ones go all the way in.

I thought the same thing until I researched some other adapters for the HD598s and saw that the other cables have the same recessed style like the m50x's, I think the scaling of the picture is off so it just seems like they won't fit, here is a better scaled picture of the oem cable that the one I mentioned earlier is supposed to replace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back