New Audio Technica ATH-M50x with Removable Cable
May 24, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #301 of 958
I thought the same thing until I researched some other adapters for the HD598s and saw that the other cables have the same recessed style like the m50x's, I think the scaling of the picture is off so it just seems like they won't fit, here is a better scaled picture of the oem cable that the one I mentioned earlier is supposed to replace.

This link also claims that their hd598 cable fits the M50x.

I've ordered this cable from Ebay. Hopefully it'll fit, I'll report back when I receive it. Might take a while to make it here though.

May 27, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #302 of 958
Just arrived, first impression after 5 mins of listening is they are quite sibilant, up 12 notches playing through an iphone 5 (yellow on iOS7), does anyone else find this. So far they are not amazing. Coming from an HD205, do they benefit from burn in?

May 27, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #303 of 958
I got the M50x this weekend (after having the M50s and then returning them). The M50x is enjoyable but they are still too V-shaped for me, so they are probably going to be returned as well. I would like to find a headphone with a FR that lies somewhere between the M50x and the HD598 (that I also own).

May 27, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #304 of 958
Lukalop, u probably have badly recorded files. This is very common, especially among higher-end headphones that reveal more detail. Just switch to a better recorded file.

May 28, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #306 of 958
Luka, the other thing you might benefit from is a higher resolution player or a sound card. I can even tell a difference going from an Apple device to a high end phone, the HTC One. A DAC can help quite a bit. Nothing fancy, just a cheap USB card. Certainly not required, as the M50x can still perform decent without a card, but you might just hear a difference.

But it always is important to wade out for a few days to get used to the sound, as well.

May 28, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #307 of 958
I can hear the difference using a DAC through budget headphones. Needless to say, i can hear the most minute differences. My gear, from my FiiO X3 to my Nad Viso HP50 and PSB M4U1, is to help me hear the best.

May 28, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #308 of 958
I can hear the difference using a DAC through budget headphones. Needless to say, i can hear the most minute differences. My gear, from my FiiO X3 to my Nad Viso HP50 and PSB M4U1, is to help me hear the best.

Hey TripBit

Do you find a BIG difference between the hp50s and this m50x?

May 28, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #310 of 958
The HP50 is definitely better sounding than the ATH-M50x, being more refined sounding and not forgetting about the mids and highs while at the same time producing emphasised bass. The HP50 was produced in collaboration with the person who designed the PSB M4U1, and is the fun sounding brother of it

May 28, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #311 of 958
Right now I am burning them in, is full volume on an iphone too high? What is the recommended volume level?

thats too loud in general, usually if you burn it you would push it maybe about 10-15% higher than your normal so you don't fry the drivers

Luka, the other thing you might benefit from is a higher resolution player or a sound card. I can even tell a difference going from an Apple device to a high end phone, the HTC One. A DAC can help quite a bit. Nothing fancy, just a cheap USB card. Certainly not required, as the M50x can still perform decent without a card, but you might just hear a difference.

But it always is important to wade out for a few days to get used to the sound, as well.

the iphone 5 is pretty clean actually. the cleanest dac among all apple products is the latest generation ipod touch, then the iphone 5s then the iphone 5

so its not the phone's problem. its probably 1) seal- maybe theres a leak if its not adjusted perfectly to seal 2) files as stated before--> the m50s butcher badly recorded files, and its not even about the bitrate, maybe if the song is really old or not recorded with good equipment it could contribute to that--> thats why theirs remastered files that come out many many years later

May 28, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #312 of 958
Originally Posted by Tom22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the iphone 5 is pretty clean actually. the cleanest dac among all apple products is the latest generation ipod touch, then the iphone 5s then the iphone 5

Yeah, that's true, but you still would benefit from an external DAC.

My point was that not all devices have the same quality. And let's not pretend that the iPhone gives the M50 the best performance it's capable of.

Different devices give different performance. And sure the iPhone 5 is clean, but there are phones with slightly cleaner sound, and a decent external DAC would certainly give much better performance than any phone on the market.

May 28, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #313 of 958
  Yeah, that's true, but you still would benefit from an external DAC.

My point was that not all devices have the same quality. And let's not pretend that the iPhone gives the M50 the best performance it's capable of.

Different devices give different performance. And sure the iPhone 5 is clean, but there are phones with slightly cleaner sound, and a decent external DAC would certainly give much better performance than any phone on the market.

of course! what i meant was really that he's should start with the iphone and really see if he can get use to the m50x sound. (cause again the iphones pretty clean--> if he doesn't like the sound) odds are he won't like it in the end.---> the iphone is probably the device he's really carrying when out and about. 

my thing is before he goes off getting a dedicated amp or portable media player for the athm50s (another device to carry around--> not everyone is fond lugging around that much gear). he should just see if the sound of the athm50x are for him. no use dropping all that cash to improve on a headphone he won't like later.

just evaluate the m50x based on the gear he has now.

May 28, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #315 of 958
I like my ATH-M50x LE out of my FiiO X3. My phone is too bassy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back