New Audio Technica ATH-M50x with Removable Cable
Mar 13, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #871 of 958
  I have both Sound Professionals velour pads and Brainwavz hybrid.
SP velour didn't change sound much at all. Hybrid made ATH-M50 very bright sounding with very little bass.
Hybrid ended up on my modded T50RP(v2). Velour still used on ATH-M50.

Thanks! I can't wait to have it in then :) I wish it would ship out sooner! 

Mar 15, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #872 of 958
Velour pads tend to reduce upper mids and treble response. Only if the pads are deeper or bigger in diameter should the bass response suffer. Brainwavz makes a hybrid pad of velour and pleather where the surface that touches your head is velour so you don't sweat and the rest is pleather so as not to effect your high end response.

In my experience, pads with a bigger opening improve bass response, not hurt it.  Tighter, clearer bass, and still big and punchy.  M50(x) sounds its best with HD280 earpads.  It becomes very "analogue" sounding and natural, even more revealing, too.  The big 10kHz treble peak in the older M50 becomes far more tame.

Mar 15, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #873 of 958
I was just going by my personal experience with a set of Pro4aa. Putting the ear further away from the driver reduced the bass response a little probably due to the way the phones were designed to work with the ear firmly pressed against the headphone.

Mar 15, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #874 of 958
  I have both Sound Professionals velour pads and Brainwavz hybrid.
SP velour didn't change sound much at all. Hybrid made ATH-M50 very bright sounding with very little bass.
Hybrid ended up on my modded T50RP(v2). Velour still used on ATH-M50.

I agree the SoundPro pads are quite faithful to the original signature, but they do tame the sub-bass and upper mid/treble peak - it's a slight difference but it becomes after switching back. The result is slightly smoother and a slightly wider soundstage. With these pads the M50x sounds a bit wider in soundstage than the MSR7 on stock, but it's mainly due to the M50x having some more reverb, and the MSR7 still wins out in the layering of the soundstage and instrument separation.

Unfortunately the Sound Professionals pads don't do a good job on the MSR7, and I suspect this is because the earpad flange sits a bit too loose around the MSR7 earcup (which is smaller than the M50). The sub-bass is rolled off, while the midrange becomes more prominent and you'll find yourself turning up the volume which makes it more peaked. On the plus side, the soundstage sounds much wider.

Mar 25, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #875 of 958
My Sound Professionals velour pads just came in, it looks and feels amazing.
However, I didn't think I would lose so much bass, the sound signature is very bright and little bass.

I'm disappointed by that :frowning2: I might have to try out the hybrid pad.

Mar 26, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #876 of 958
Just info, try Yaxi STpad for M50x.
I'm using it for MSR7. With MSR7, overall signature is same, only the bass is reduced (maybe just 1dB), so still maintain midbass impact like default earpads. My friend said STpad reduced the treble just little bit too but I can't hear the difference (because default pads is broken so I can't compare it directly).
And I ask M40x owner to tried STpad, he said to me STpad improve M40x SQ by reduced the bass and midrange more refined
The cons is not comfortable like HM5 earpads and twice more expensive than default earpads.

Mar 27, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #878 of 958
One of them http://www.yaxi.jp/shop-for-oversea/
I found it on amazon japan too

Apr 29, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #879 of 958
I know this post may be in the wrong section, but. How do these sound in terms of everyday listening as opposed to studio use?
-Noah 
beyersmile.png

Apr 29, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #880 of 958
  I know this post may be in the wrong section, but. How do these sound in terms of everyday listening as opposed to studio use?
-Noah 
beyersmile.png

Just fine, quite engaging.

Apr 29, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #881 of 958
Hello all.
I'm new to head-fi and would like a few pointers that will guide my decision when buying a pair of headphones. I recently got into audio after falling victim to bling brands  i.e, Beats by Dre, Skullcandy and ifrogz just to name a few. 
blink.gif
 I really like the look of Audio Technica's ATH-M50x. are they any good in terms of sound quality?

-Noahsam97 
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: After a brief test in-store I can definitely say I made the right purchase. 

Apr 30, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #883 of 958
Yay, a new M50(X) fan! I hope you enjoy them! Sorry I didn't have any advice for you. I still need to get the 'X' version.
What do you think of the sound? Is it similar at all to Beats headphones?(Some say it sounds like the Beats Studios.)

Apr 30, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #884 of 958
You can skip the M50x if you don't mind modding your M50 to be able to detach its cable.  Old M50's plastic parts feel sturdier and look nicer.

Apr 30, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #885 of 958
You know, I'd love to mod my M50 and make it epic, but it's just so old now. It's been through Hell and back, and it's starting to show its age.

Maybe I should just mod it because there's not really anything to lose anymore. While I'm at it, I could throw in a new headband and earpads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back