New Audio Technica ATH-M50x with Removable Cable
Sep 28, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #826 of 958
I tried out the  Sony 1 R and   1 A, but not same time.  The R was more "punchy", mids not present enough, and blurred.  The A was much better imo.  I also understand why goodyfresh is so happy witht hem.  I tried them with the FIIO x 3, both generations. On the X3 II, the 1 A sounded very pleasant. WIde soundstage, warm, not tiring at all. Not really natural though. but it is the kind of headphone you can listen to for hours without fatigue, sure.  I always said that the X 3 ii , favored the upper mids. So this is a good match, because these are a bit soft. So the speed of the player combined with this "lush" headphone makes it more musial, then the X3 ii with my audio technica Ath ES 7.

This older headphone, is on its own, much more neutral and convincing in the mids. Is faster, but a better match with the original X 3. Less with the newer one, as they both privilege mids.

I want a second headphone, but really not know which. I use both fiio's, depending what kind of music I am playing. With the x 3 ii, my AT ES 7 is getting too tiring, and lacks musicality. The sony are comfortable, have good sound isolation, but lacks still a bit of nervousness,  even with the new X3.

So I am hesitating to buy the Sony headphone, without being perfect has a large sound-stage, and is musical with the new X 3. Other possibilities are

- Audio Technica  ATH M 50 or even 40. Some prefer teh 40, never heard them, but I heard of 40 that broke easy.

-Audio Technica ATH-MSR7. They should sound livelier, but I hear everywhere that high mids are privileged. Ok with Fiio x3, but the X3 ii, it could be overkill.

I will use the headphone for my daily walk, one hour.  To take on the plane, when going to Asia, and on the beach......

So which one? I can not listen anywhere to the Audio Technica's.......

Of course people here like the cans tehy chosen, but did some listen also to the other possibilities?

Sep 28, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #827 of 958
  I tried out the  Sony 1 R and   1 A, but not same time.  The R was more "punchy", mids not present enough, and blurred.  The A was much better imo.  I also understand why goodyfresh is so happy witht hem.  I tried them with the FIIO x 3, both generations. On the X3 II, the 1 A sounded very pleasant. WIde soundstage, warm, not tiring at all. Not really natural though. but it is the kind of headphone you can listen to for hours without fatigue, sure.  I always said that the X 3 ii , favored the upper mids. So this is a good match, because these are a bit soft. So the speed of the player combined with this "lush" headphone makes it more musial, then the X3 ii with my audio technica Ath ES 7.

This older headphone, is on its own, much more neutral and convincing in the mids. Is faster, but a better match with the original X 3. Less with the newer one, as they both privilege mids.

I want a second headphone, but really not know which. I use both fiio's, depending what kind of music I am playing. With the x 3 ii, my AT ES 7 is getting too tiring, and lacks musicality. The sony are comfortable, have good sound isolation, but lacks still a bit of nervousness,  even with the new X3.

So I am hesitating to buy the Sony headphone, without being perfect has a large sound-stage, and is musical with the new X 3. Other possibilities are

- Audio Technica  ATH M 50 or even 40. Some prefer teh 40, never heard them, but I heard of 40 that broke easy.

-Audio Technica ATH-MSR7. They should sound livelier, but I hear everywhere that high mids are privileged. Ok with Fiio x3, but the X3 ii, it could be overkill.

I will use the headphone for my daily walk, one hour.  To take on the plane, when going to Asia, and on the beach......

So which one? I can not listen anywhere to the Audio Technica's.......

Of course people here like the cans tehy chosen, but did some listen also to the other possibilities?

Best to start a new thread for advice.

Oct 9, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #831 of 958
Yes, when I saw the package I thought this is a heavy headphone, but they are not. Moreover, they are comfortable even if I wear them over my glasses. 

Oct 24, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #832 of 958
I just picked up a pair of the ATH-M50X last weekend. I have been listening to them for a few hours every night and last night spent several hours with them on. I have to admit, these sound MUCH better than I expected they would.

When ai first joined this website, I ran out and auditioned the M50 (older non X model) and wasn't that impressed. I immediately found them way too bright for my taste. I then saw the reviews for the M50X that said the treble response was improved. I agree 100%. For the cost, these headphones are blowing my mind!!! I don't have my Sennheiser 598s on hand to do a proper A/B test (will this weekend as they are at my GFs house) but going from audio memory (I know...I know) I do believe these may unseat my Senns as my favorite headphone (that I own).

IMO the treble has been improved upon from the original version, but on some recordings, they can be bright at high volume. The bass on these is a bit "weird" (or maybe it's just me). On some tracks, it feels like there isn't enough, and at other times, I feel like the bass is slamming, and I mean it's literally vibrating the cans on my head!!! I do find the mids to be a bit recessed, giving this 'phone a V sound signature, but it's not bad IMO.

Definitely a fun can to listen to. They exceeded my expectations going in, and have me listening to more music than I have in a while now. They are a definite "win" and highly recommended for an easy to drive closed can in the sub $200 range.

I now see what all the hype on this forum is about!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #833 of 958

The bass on these is a bit "weird" (or maybe it's just me). On some tracks, it feels like there isn't enough, and at other times, I feel like the bass is slamming, and I mean it's literally vibrating the cans on my head!!! I do find the mids to be a bit recessed, giving this 'phone a V sound signature, but it's not bad IMO.

I would think it depends on how the track is mastered. It just shows they resolve the bass well instead of just making every song boomy. I think the upper mids are a bit forward, giving this metallic tone, but the lower mids take a bit of a backseat.

Oct 25, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #834 of 958
  I would think it depends on how the track is mastered. It just shows they resolve the bass well instead of just making every song boomy. I think the upper mids are a bit forward, giving this metallic tone, but the lower mids take a bit of a backseat.

Agreed. I not really a HP guy despite my being registered on here for a few years now. You said it better than I could have.

Nov 16, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #836 of 958
Looks legitimate.

Nov 18, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #838 of 958
I'd recommend the Fulla over the E10k.

It will improve sound quality because you are currently using onboard sound.

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #840 of 958
New Member here, so hello all. I have the Black M50x and just ordered the Creative Sound Blaster E5. Will receive it tomorrow after reading many reviews and trying to figure out which DAC/AMP to buy. Anyone have this and used it with the M50X, curious to hear thoughts on how they match. I love my headphones and have just been listening through my IPhone 6. I really like the fact the E5 has the SBX software I can download on my phone and PC so I can adjust EQ settings depending on what I am listening to. 

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back