NEW: Audio-Technica ATH-ESW11LTD
Nov 20, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #556 of 732
Does the Continental V2 give a bit more resolution/detail and does it tightens the bass a bit ?

I prefer its sound over all my previous amps. I had the hud-mx2, little dot mkIII, O2 amp, hifimedy, ele dac, fiio e11, 18v cmoy..
Compared to my O2 amp:
My O2 was more analytical and cold.
It presented the raw details and left it up to your brain to decipher, interpret & "paint the picture" of the music.

The Continental on the other hand, puts it all together musically with more space and dimension and serves it to your brain as a musical picture to enjoy more easily.

The interesting aspect is that the amp never shone its true potential to me with the Galaxy Note2 output.
I had my phone hacked/rooted with everything changed to make use of its "wolfson" dac and also with Neutron player.

Out of my laptop with the "odac" & "Continental" combo, it turned into a beast and monster and my Esw11 scaled so high it reached full size can sound territory (!)
Much large impact and huge sound when matched with the odac out.
This was in addition to the sound change with the pad change to es10 pleathers...

So I am hearing one of my best sounds now.
The amp also improved my w3000anv sound but not as much as the portables.

Nov 22, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #557 of 732
Yeah, I think I'll stick with the ES10-titanium for portable duty, since the W5000 have dropped under $600 equivalent here in Japan and if I want wood with a great 53mm driver then it is probably the better option (the ESW11 are still a bit pricey). Ah, I love Audio-Technica, amazing variety and quality in their line-up!

Nov 28, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #558 of 732
An acquaintance of mine recently snagged a pair *real* cheap from a sizeable local retailer who's not know to be authorized by the distributor. Not surprisingly they sound like a wooden plank to him... But he's a strong believer in the burn-in theory. I've yet to hear them myself so i wonder i anyone can take a look at some pics and give his opinion:
http://s919.photobucket.com/user/Amarphael/library/w11ltd

Nov 28, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #561 of 732
Yes that's right.
Pull off the pads and see if there is a metalic grilled 52mm driver with blue color in the coils that's the best way.

Nov 29, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #563 of 732
Thanks for all the replies. First, there no golden flakes on the frame. About these blue colored coils- I suppose the grill needs to be removed to inspect this?

I added one more pic of the baffle area, please take a look.

Nov 29, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #564 of 732
I can't see any images on my android phone on two web browsers .. :frowning2:
I guess I need a computer to see inages oh well.

As for the sound issue, I feel break in period for this can was long,
As the two previous owners had my unit, and it was not as impressive enough for them to keep(!).

Also with me in beginning, I quickly noticed it's finess and suppleness, but seemed too soft in trebles at first..

Original pads were mainly the culprit being too padded so as to create more distance from the drivers, and taking away some trebles.

Right now I feel it is up to its potential as the sound is very large in height and depth.
I think that the direction AudioTechnica was taking was a larger signature, as the sound is larger yet not in a bassy way.
Kind of like you were "sometimes" a fly listening in the recording studio(!)

Now with the pad swap this sonic impression is more noticable and trebles are very evenly balanced with mids and bass .
I would say the mids are most prominent but in a larger more in depth way, not really a louder way.

The bass drops down on certain tracks to scary depths as you feel the floor is gone as the height is so large(amped!).

Anyway that's how the sound hits my ears. Your ears will vary.
:)

Nov 29, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #565 of 732
Thanks for all the replies. First, there no golden flakes on the frame. About these blue colored coils- I suppose the grill needs to be removed to inspect this?

I added one more pic of the baffle area, please take a look.
you dont need to remove the grill, just look through the holes to see the blue coils of the drivet.

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #566 of 732
Hey guys I decided to goto store other day... And heard some headphones..

I used to own an ultrazone 750 and it was ok.. So I wanted to hear the Ed8 that is said to be a top portabe..($$$!)

So I finnally heard the ed8, and have to say it was very, very impressive..

A tad sibilant but very nice lively sound signature and soundstage while also loud enough to be played out of a portable.(!)

Overall to put in perspective, it was truley a top sounding can and one of the best I herd so far..

The only problem I could fault, was that the ath-esw11 I own has better bass authority, better mids and better treble,......
And well, better everything..(!)
Woops, except isolation...
The Ed8 had better isolation
Ha :p

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #567 of 732
I have come to the conclusion that the original pad plays an integral part to the soundstage, and ALSO, that pad swapping affects the trebles because of how they cover the outer ports around the driver edge.
The best balanced soundstage is thru the stock pads, as both the esw9 & es10 produce different effects.

The es10 pads sounds unnatually larger or magnified sound in mids as they place ears closer to the driver and pads cover less driver edge so they are brighter also while retaining almost all of bass.

The esw9 pads also change the soundstage a bit but also have a brighter presentation as they cover less outer area and also have noticeably lesser more airy bass.

So the stock pads produce the most balanced soundstage and most bass while being most comfortable but also debatable as esw9 pads are very comfortable.

I noticed the the hole on top of cup is very important role as it lets the driver breath and effect the bass.
It seems to behave almost exclusively as a bass port..

Dec 12, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #569 of 732
These drivers are extremely underrated in their extreme clarity and lack of sibilance, especially when... Modded..
Just recently :)

Simply put, Audio technica seems to have placed a lesser density yellow felt on these on purpose,
To give a more woody sound..

But upon making the yellow felt denser you realize what a monster this can's abilities are!

Will update on future post,
but by simply placing a same shaped "donut" piece of foam under the yellow (on the wood side)...

You create what appears to "the driver" as a denser yellow felt(!)..
Which seems to clear sound with less woody-ness,
while still having bass and also a somwhat brighter overall signature with extreme clarity..(!)
The mids sound so real its hard to believe its not a top full size can(!)

I have also tried various other mods and compared with w1000x mod threads but so far this is just the best as it sounds borderline amazing,
and easiest mod for those who think that the esw11 are too "woody" or bassy or even dull if your used to bright cans, the mids will amaze..
:)
Pics to follow later when in a "4G" coverage area ..

.. VERY IMPORTANT TO NOT BLOCK BASS PORT!!:

"Foam" should be no more than 3/4 thickness of the yellow donut felt,
With lesser giving more woodyness..

Now close up and enjoy!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back