NEW AUDIO PHILE
Mar 4, 2011 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Redtoo

Head-Fier
I bought the beats studio on boxing day in december last year because i wanted high end head phones and when i heard them i feel in love with them. But this was 2 months ago and i have been looking at other head phones reviews and many people are saying that there are many head phones that are better than it, even if u wanted more bass. Personally i was thinking of upgrading to the beats pro, but i probably wont be doing that anymore. But i still cant chose what my next one will be. I dont want to own many headphones, just some good ones. My budget is about $500 since the pros are around there. I want a good amount of bass. I mostly listen to rap, hiphop and rnb music. Dont care if it leaks noice or if it as noice cancelling.   

Questions i need answered

Are amped headhones better than none?

Should i really be looking for bass type headphones? because people say that beats are bad because they are bass heavy but i personally like the bass they produce.

Headphones ive been reading about-

Audio Technica m-50 heard that these are better than the beats in every way and they are only about $100.

Shure SRH- 840
Shure Sr  750dj 

Sennheiser hd series.

Sorry but i am a very new to this so if there are other things i need to know, please tell me. 

Mar 4, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #2 of 21
-Headphones are amped because they need  to be. Therefore you cannot judge quality of headphone based on if they're amped or not. You only need an amp if your headphone has more than 32 ohms.

-Beats are not criticized for their bass Quantity, but on bass Quality. They are known to be muddy and undefined with bass that clogs up the spectrum.

All of your choices are in the right place, Don't take my word for it but I think the bass quantity is something like: 750dj>m50>840. I also have read the 840 is a rather neutral headphone. If you want to experiment with some insane bass, look into the Sony XB500, as well as other products in the XB line.

Some other things you might wanna look into are IEM's, because they are always slightly more bass heavy. Personally I recommend checking out the fischer eternas.

Mar 4, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #4 of 21
You are confusing resistance with headphone efficiency. What you really want to look for is a measurement of dB/mW which will tell you how loud a headphone will get for a given amount of power. Usually highly efficient headphones can get decently loud even out of weaker sources.

Amping headphones provides various benefits as I have recently discovered. They improve soundstage, clarity, instrument separation, the punch in the bass just to name a few. Of course different headphones will benefit differently and to different degrees and that is where you will have to do your own research picking a headphone.

Last note- keep in mind that there are two versions of the m50. The newer white version is more nuetral and has less bass.

Mar 7, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 21

Quote:
You are confusing resistance with headphone efficiency. What you really want to look for is a measurement of dB/mW which will tell you how loud a headphone will get for a given amount of power. Usually highly efficient headphones can get decently loud even out of weaker sources.

Amping headphones provides various benefits as I have recently discovered. They improve soundstage, clarity, instrument separation, the punch in the bass just to name a few. Of course different headphones will benefit differently and to different degrees and that is where you will have to do your own research picking a headphone.

Last note- keep in mind that there are two versions of the m50. The newer white version is more nuetral and has less bass.

the little dot MKII+ has great synergy with all my headphones and it has a gigantic open soundstage on my ultrasones and K500's it's a dark amp so it add's a warmth to the overall tone.

Mar 7, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #6 of 21
M50, Ultrasone H-fi 580, XB500 or the Shure Djs

any of those choices should be fine for nice bass

Mar 7, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #7 of 21
I have the ATH-M50s and love it!

However, if you are using an amped source, then I recommend the BeyerDynamic DT770PRO 80ohm 

It has amazing bass quantity!  

However, if you prefer a more neutral sound, then the AKG- K271 MKII seem like the ones for you.  Note that they really need to be amped well though...

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #8 of 21
ok so i went to a music store in my city and they said they could bring in the at m50s and shure hdj750 for me to try. I am leaning on the m50's at the moment because they are more popular on this forum.

Edit: which one do u guys think will be better and i heard an amp would easily make these better.

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #9 of 21
DONT GO WITH IT JUST BECAUSE IT'S POPLUAR!!!!!, go with it because you like it otherwise you should get the beats*lol*

Mar 9, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #10 of 21
i want to know the operational definition of the word audiophile...

Mar 9, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #11 of 21
some one who spend way to much money on headphones trying to figure out what will validate being an "audiophile". I feel that the word is perverted, as in it was meant to mean something but now it really means nothing, sennheiser advertising "Audiophile" grade headphones, ATH A700 is and entry "audiophile" can I feel like it's apples to oranges when it comes to something like this.

Mar 9, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #12 of 21
Crazy isnt it? Perverted. You can just tag anything as "audiophile" these days. But im not here to argue that... 

biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #13 of 21
I'm diggin' my M50's - they rock!  My buddy and I got the 840 and M50, as we couldn't decide and we trade them around.  We both like both, but the M50 is a bit more "fun."  And with your savings you can get a portable amp if you don't mind carrying one.  I think they are much better amped.  The Fii0 E7 is small, cheap, and has three levels of bass boost that might be to your liking, though certainly not necessary with the M50.  (If appearance matters to you and you are going public - the 840s are not an option.)

I was worried about the new vs old M50 thing.  Not to worry - plenty of bass in my new version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back