New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jan 16, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #5,791 of 11,259
I know the owner of Hulgich Audio, Nick Hulgich, and he is great guy, argentinian like me :beyersmile:

He is a truly obsessed with the sound of his speakers. He has also won the best sounding stand award on the Montreal HiFi show in 2017, with a Audio-gd DAC on his system!

I believe that was with his discontinued Astor speakers. The Duke is based on the same concept and is a few generations ahead (Kingwa also added his improvement to it).

Jan 16, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #5,792 of 11,259
@REAN1MAT0R
For an alternative choice for HDMI I have this https://silversonic.com/products/video-cables/hdmi-2-0-silver/

I can't give you a comparison to the WireWorld HDMI but I do have a WireWorld Starlight 8 Ethernet Cable that I purchased used. I was expecting a small improvement over the generic cable I was using but I was overwhelmed by the incredible difference when I plugged it into the switch box. I've also met a few people who love their WireWorld interconnects and power cables.
https://store.wireworldcable.com/co...light-cat8-ethernet-cable?variant=36994378828

I am not normally a fanboy but by my signature, on this forum, I could be considered one when it comes to the Audio Sensibility Statement series of cables. There are not any HDMI or Ethernet cables in that line but the company does resell Neotech cables if they don't make one in a particular category. Prices are in Canadian dollars. https://audiosensibility.com

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #5,795 of 11,259
Any owners of master1 and master3, could you please let me know whats the volume level you keep for normal listening. Below 28 it doesnt sound good at all in the day for me and at night 24-25 is very good.

Jan 17, 2020 at 1:54 AM Post #5,796 of 11,259
Any owners of master1 and master3, could you please let me know whats the volume level you keep for normal listening. Below 28 it doesnt sound good at all in the day for me and at night 24-25 is very good.

Strange observation. I have both and the Master 1 and 3. I am feeding from PiCorePlayer (68% output) to DI20HE to the R7 (I2S and SPDIF) and to TDA1541AS2 dac with AES/EBU. Master 1 is set to "0-99" and normal listening level is 15-20. If I am alone at home 35-40 on good music.
/Jan

Jan 17, 2020 at 2:06 AM Post #5,797 of 11,259
Strange observation. I have both and the Master 1 and 3. I am feeding from PiCorePlayer (68% output) to DI20HE to the R7 (I2S and SPDIF) and to TDA1541AS2 dac with AES/EBU. Master 1 is set to "0-99" and normal listening level is 15-20. If I am alone at home 35-40 on good music.
/Jan

Looks like i am listening at dangerous levels then.15-20 is really very low for me. What speakers you have?

Jan 17, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #5,798 of 11,259
Looks like i am listening at dangerous levels then.15-20 is really very low for me. What speakers you have?

The question is in some sense wrong. Most of us have different gears and a comparison is impossible. I use ESL speakers with dipole bass assistance (Quad and Gradient). The strange thing is that You find below 28 bad at daytime but good evening/night time...
What's matter is what listening level (dB's) You can measure. I don't have that equipment right now.

Jan 17, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #5,799 of 11,259
For those who have heard the R-7HE and Singularity HE- does the TDA option on the R7-HE sound similar to the Singularity HE?

Also- is Singularity better for PCM only or is it a matter of taste????

Would it be correct to say the Singularity-HE is a more collored sound while the R7-HE is more uncoloured?

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #5,800 of 11,259
The question is in some sense wrong. Most of us have different gears and a comparison is impossible. I use ESL speakers with dipole bass assistance (Quad and Gradient). The strange thing is that You find below 28 bad at daytime but good evening/night time...
What's matter is what listening level (dB's) You can measure. I don't have that equipment right now.

Got your point thanks, i suspect it needs to do something with noise in electricity during daytime, in night as soon as it clocks 10:30 or 11PM, it all starts to sound more dynamic and fabulous.

Jan 17, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #5,801 of 11,259
With my 92dB speakers, i am at 26-28 on high gain with the he9. Note that If you had your m3 for less than 4 months, the burn in is not finished.

Jan 17, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #5,802 of 11,259
With my 92dB speakers, i am at 26-28 on high gain with the he9. Note that If you had your m3 for less than 4 months, the burn in is not finished.

My m1 m3 are now 10months old, so well burned in. R8he is 4months old and latest addition is di20he which is a week old. But i have observed the sound quality change in night before also. One more question, i am finding the gear to be polite and soft at times especially at mids. I am using audiogd acss cables. Do you have any suggestion, i expected it to be little more punchy.

Jan 17, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #5,803 of 11,259
My m1 m3 are now 10months old, so well burned in. R8he is 4months old and latest addition is di20he which is a week old. But i have observed the sound quality change in night before also. One more question, i am finding the gear to be polite and soft at times especially at mids. I am using audiogd acss cables. Do you have any suggestion, i expected it to be little more punchy.
I have DIY silver litz cables. They help, also big cord will help.

Jan 17, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #5,804 of 11,259
Does anyone know hw R-7HE and Singularity HE would differ in sonics?

The S7 is warmer than the R7. The R7 has more transparency, crisper highs, and not as veiled. You can hear deeper into a mix with R7. The S7 pumps out more bass but the R7 has better low register finesse and is more balanced overall.

The R7’s NOS mode is very reminiscent of the S7 in OS 8x. I never really listened to TDA simulation.

Listening to my old M7S currently and these PCM1704 DACs sure please the senses. The R7 will play DSD is another consideration. No DAC is perfect and your tastes may differ from my experiences. If I was considering new DACs today I would have a hard look at the R8-HE. As Kingwa said the R8-HE is 200% better than the regular R7.

Jan 17, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #5,805 of 11,259
i suspect it needs to do something with noise in electricity during daytime, in night as soon as it clocks 10:30 or 11PM, it all starts to sound more dynamic and fabulous.
I also used to notice a big difference in sound between day and night or even at night when my home's central air conditioning started running. I kept looking for a deal on a Furman IT-20 Reference power conditioner. Finally found an older unit for $400 USD. (It was $3000 new and current units run $4000 new.) Now the sound is the same day or night or when the A/C kicks in. I later found another IT-20 for $800 so now I have two and I'm not looking back. Used ones usually go for $2000 and sometimes as low as $1500 if cosmetics are a little scratched looking. It takes patience and a seller's circumstances to find the deals I found.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back