New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Nov 11, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #5,506 of 11,259
Im really starting to get jealous of the features in the new 2020 R-7. My first gen R2R-7 is starting to feel really outdated.
I have a DI-20 on the way and I would love to be able to connect the clock output of the DI-20 to my R2R-7 and bypass the TXCO clocks like the new R7 2020 version.
However im assuming this was a hardware change not software so i'm out of luck? Has anyone asked Kingwa about clock input on older R2R-7's?
You should be able to have one installed as long as Kingwa makes the clock version of the fw that works with your input configuration, assuming your dac has hdmi on #4. It is a rather simple operation AFAIK. A resistor to change, and a 50ohm connector to install, replacing the rca. Some soldering needed.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #5,507 of 11,259
With you on this one - and its all happened so fast!
I've only just replaced the internal TXCO's and am enjoying the changes there - but woah - step away for a second and the place has blown up with new ideas and upgrades!

How hard was it to replace the clocks? im ok at soldering but i really don't like the idea of trying to do brain surgery on my beloved R2R-7.

You should be able to have one installed as long as Kingwa makes the clock version of the fw that works with your input configuration, assuming your dac has hdmi on #4. It is a rather simple operation AFAIK. A resistor to change, and a 50ohm connector to install, replacing the rca. Some soldering needed.

seems like this may be the easier route vs. trying to upgrade the clocks in my R2R-7.
My R2R-7 is HDMI on #4 so im good to go there. I also dont have the large front panel display so im guessing I would just use the "DITH" jumpers to set the clock. I wonder if I could change the resistor without removing the board? doesnt look easy to remove the center board that the resistor would be on
I think I will send Kingwa an email asking about this, Thanks fred!

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #5,508 of 11,259
How hard was it to replace the clocks? im ok at soldering but i really don't like the idea of trying to do brain surgery on my beloved R2R-7.

seems like this may be the easier route vs. trying to upgrade the clocks in my R2R-7.
My R2R-7 is HDMI on #4 so im good to go there. I also dont have the large front panel display so im guessing I would just use the "DITH" jumpers to set the clock. I wonder if I could change the resistor without removing the board? doesnt look easy to remove the center board that the resistor would be on
I think I will send Kingwa an email asking about this, Thanks fred!
I think i was not clear, Kingwa will need make a fw version for hdmi on 4 so that user having original r2r 7s like you can have the clock input. And the rest, you just need to know which jumper does what i assume.

And possibly for users that have the new faceplate, an mcu update is needed. Kingwa will create a procedure i assume. As for replacing the resistor, i think it can be done without lifting the board.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #5,510 of 11,259
Frankly, i am far from being sure i will install the clock input.

if you already have accusilion clocks then I wonder if there would be much improvement. however in my situation with TXCO's im thinking it might be worth it, or maybe its easier to just change the clocks.

I am actually tempted to ship the whole R2R-7 back to Audio-GD and have a full upgrade to 2020 R7 completed but im sure that wouldn't be cheap, shipping there would probably cost an arm and a leg..

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #5,512 of 11,259
if you already have accusilion clocks then I wonder if there would be much improvement. however in my situation with TXCO's im thinking it might be worth it, or maybe its easier to just change the clocks.

I am actually tempted to ship the whole R2R-7 back to Audio-GD and have a full upgrade to 2020 R7 completed but im sure that wouldn't be cheap, shipping there would probably cost an arm and a leg..
Shipping from canada is between 200 and 300cad. What is costly is the new set of da7 boards.

Nov 11, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #5,515 of 11,259
@darren700. Besides the XOs on your hardware upgrade list don’t forget the V2 DAC boards. They have less distortion/ glare. And a new faceplate tomcomplete the package. Yup, Kingwa has been a busy man!

@Jackula. A 50 ohm splitter would work but power is halved if important in a setup. Use short, equal length coax spans after the split.

Nov 11, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #5,516 of 11,259
Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #5,517 of 11,259

Magna does the entire upgrade of faceplate + V2 board and also has option for clock input. If it is closer to ship to Europe this would be another option. They also offer magnafied upgrades.

Nov 12, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #5,518 of 11,259
Magna does the entire upgrade of faceplate + V2 board and also has option for clock input. If it is closer to ship to Europe this would be another option. They also offer magnafied upgrades.
They modified my "old" R2R7 dac also: DAC boards, Acusilicon clocks, new front, Magnafied MOD and also the input shift, so i have now optical on input 4 and HDMI on 5. Input 3 is now available for the external clock input now. And i can use the "standard" 4 spdif version firmwares.
So it all can be done. Was easy for me, i live about 8km from Magna Hifi, so no shipping cost!

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #5,519 of 11,259
@darren700. Besides the XOs on your hardware upgrade list don’t forget the V2 DAC boards. They have less distortion/ glare. And a new faceplate tomcomplete the package. Yup, Kingwa has been a busy man!

I forgot about the new DA7 V2 boards, thanks for the reminder. Its unbelievable how many upgrades have been made to this design since it was released 2 years ago, most manufactures dont even offer firmware upgrades after release, much less full blown hardware and feature upgrades. I am greatful that Kingwa is so dedicated to improving his products. Kingwa never sleeps it seems!

They modified my "old" R2R7 dac also: DAC boards, Acusilicon clocks, new front, Magnafied MOD and also the input shift, so i have now optical on input 4 and HDMI on 5. Input 3 is now available for the external clock input now. And i can use the "standard" 4 spdif version firmwares.
So it all can be done. Was easy for me, i live about 8km from Magna Hifi, so no shipping cost!

Thank you both for the info. im in Canada so im guessing it would cost almost the same whether I ship to Audio-GD or Magna.
hmm decisions decisions. I really hate the idea of having to ship this very expensive unit out of county and the risks involved, but dont really feel like performing heart and brain surgery myself on it. i looked at the magna site, and to have all the upgrades done (clocks, r2r boards, front and back panel and clock input) it is 995 Euro. once I factor in shipping it will probably be close to $2000 cdn for all the upgrades via Magna. At that price I almost wonder if I should consider selling my R2R-7 or R1 and simply buying a new R7 2020.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #5,520 of 11,259
@darren700 Magna Hifi seems to only support reworking AGD products they sell. The situation may have changed but they were overwhelmed with requests 6 months ago.

And be very careful finding a solid technician locally. One user on this forum shared a horror story about a local technician in way over his head. The reworked DAC blew up and had to eventually send his unit to Kingwa for repair.

The hardware mods are highly recommended though especially if you use the very latest firmware. The mods transformed my DACs into much better sounding and performing machines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back