New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Nov 9, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #5,491 of 11,260
There is no doubt the AC power is probably the most important aspect of an audio system. I am listening on Sat AM when all its quiet, and it sounds superb with the R7. I use PS Audio Harvester to monitor the noise from my AC and found a better receptacle that much quieter than the really noisy one that I used to use. It blinks when there is AC noise and supposedly gets rid of the noise as light energy. Now it is not really blinking much. But on normal evenings in weekdays, it blinks like crazy. So the HE option makes lots of sense. I wish Kingwa still has the HE regenerator on its own so one can hook up more components. It may likely works better with individual HE for each device. But I definitely need one for my PC, the noisiest of all my components. I already use 2 isolators but the AC noise is still an issue, hence I am planning to get a power regenerator based on the UPS (interrupted power supply) technology used in commercial industry, where AC is converted to battery DC and then back to AC again, see attached pdf.
Indeed, the he even things out to a great extent over a week. The regular version does not reach quite the same heights, but it is nonetheless an exceptional dac when ac is good.

Nov 9, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #5,493 of 11,260
I am checking for a dc blocker now, thanks for the idea!

No problems :) Hoping you can get a good margin of improvement with one!

I've seen cheaper DC blockers than the Holton one, but the Holton one uses very nice components, using four 100,000uf capacitors to filter both DC and HF noise. The same capacitors used in his international award-winning amplifiers.

Nov 9, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #5,494 of 11,260
No problems :) Hoping you can get a good margin of improvement with one!

I've seen cheaper DC blockers than the Holton one, but the Holton one uses very nice components, using four 100,000uf capacitors to filter both DC and HF noise. The same capacitors used in his international award-winning amplifiers.
I am taking note of this. :)

Nov 10, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #5,499 of 11,260
I wonder how a 1704uk would sound with HE power... hmmm

sounds wonderful - I use a HE350 + NOS7 + Gustard U16 (w/GPS 10M clock)... fantastic PCM setup

but this (discontinued HE7S) would probably be better for most folks looking for this flavor
http://www.audio-gd.com/HE/HE7S/HE7SEN.htm

Kingwa's flagship 1704UK stuff is classic... I will never sell the NOS7

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #5,504 of 11,260
Im really starting to get jealous of the features in the new 2020 R-7. My first gen R2R-7 is starting to feel really outdated.
I have a DI-20 on the way and I would love to be able to connect the clock output of the DI-20 to my R2R-7 and bypass the TXCO clocks like the new R7 2020 version.
However im assuming this was a hardware change not software so i'm out of luck? Has anyone asked Kingwa about clock input on older R2R-7's?

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #5,505 of 11,260
Im really starting to get jealous of the features in the new 2020 R-7. My first gen R2R-7 is starting to feel really outdated.
I have a DI-20 on the way and I would love to be able to connect the clock output of the DI-20 to my R2R-7 and bypass the TXCO clocks like the new R7 2020 version.
However im assuming this was a hardware change not software so i'm out of luck? Has anyone asked Kingwa about clock input on older R2R-7's?

With you on this one - and its all happened so fast!
I've only just replaced the internal TXCO's and am enjoying the changes there - but woah - step away for a second and the place has blown up with new ideas and upgrades!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back