New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Oct 13, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #5,176 of 11,276
@anroj My U16 this morning is up to its old startup trick of outputting noise (I2S) until I start and restart tracks several times. It has to be tracks of different sampling rates to get it going. Then it works OK. Happened yesterday also when connected to the PC but now reconnected to Aurender. I hate the U16 but sounds good when working!

Looking forward to Kingwa's DI DDC!
What a coincidence, Scott, my u16 had to be rebooted for the same reason this morning!

Oct 13, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #5,177 of 11,276
It is like there is something in the i2s signal that is making the u16 even more unstable.. What a piece of g..

[edit] My comment makes no sense but for some reason, the u16 is less stable with the p2 fw. What the heck? Makes no sense whatsoever. The u16 has its humors. I never came across in my life such an inconsistent, impossible to understand piece of hardware, this is getting beyond ridiculous. I think i will contact Kingwa to ensure the first DI with regen power gets shipped to me.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #5,178 of 11,276
Listening to nos this morning with p2, i am missing tda_asy3 in os8 mode. Something is missing, although i prefer the treble presentsation of p2. I am pretty sure Kingwa will address the imaging issue with p2 so i will wait. I don't like to have to drag the monster dac to the second floor to perform updates.

Oct 13, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #5,179 of 11,276
@FredA What PCM sampling rates are you using with P2? I think hi-rez PCM sounds better with P2 on OS 8x but 44.1k is more generic on soundstaging. Contrasting, with Asy3 44.1k sounds good but hi-rez files tend to thin out at OS 8x and why I like OS 0x with Asy3.

The blasted U16 is flipping out this morning with the Aurender. Noise, chirps, and PCM tracks playing at 2x speed! Switched over to the F1 and Foobar and all OK.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #5,180 of 11,276
@FredA What PCM sampling rates are you using with P2? I think hi-rez PCM sounds better with P2 on OS 8x but 44.1k is more generic on soundstaging. Contrasting, with Asy3 44.1k sounds good but hi-rez files tend to thin out at OS 8x and why I like OS 0x with Asy3.

The blasted U16 is flipping out this morning with the Aurender. Noise, chirps, and PCM tracks playing at 2x speed! Switched over to the F1 and Foobar and all OK.
Mainly 44k. I also liked tda_asy3 better with hires. With asy3, it was pure listening enjoyment day in day out. Maybe it's the u16... I should try reverting to asy3.

Oct 13, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #5,181 of 11,276
With P2 HDMI I2S is not cooperating this morning. Switched to the Singxer SU-6 and S/PDIF on input 3 works OK but HDMI I2S on input 5 is hit or miss. But when working not much difference in sound between S/PDIF and I2S.

I2S worked very reliably yesterday. Input 6 F1 USB seems fine which is I2S output???

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #5,182 of 11,276
Back to tda_asy3, sounstaging depth is back in OS8. Soundstaging is back overall. Not so much more between the speakers, but more spatial cues, a real tridimensional presentation, lots more background details. I don't care so much about the 10mhz input, i might as well stay with asy3 forever. It is brighter but treble quality is excellent. The dynamics as well. You feel the room so much better on Bill Evans' Waltz For Debby. Pure bliss.

It appears as if p1 and p2 have a rolled off treble in comparison, both sounding too dark.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #5,183 of 11,276
With P2 HDMI I2S is not cooperating this morning. Switched to the Singxer SU-6 and S/PDIF on input 3 works OK but HDMI I2S on input 5 is hit or miss. But when working not much difference in sound between S/PDIF and I2S.

I2S worked very reliably yesterday. Input 6 F1 USB seems fine which is I2S output???

I am using TDA_asy_PS_2 (Smooth parallel version 2) and no issues with HDMI (SU6)
Also testing TDA_asy_P_2 (Accurate parallel version 2) and no issues with HDMI (SU6). I am randomly playing all sample rates (44.1 - 192 and DSD64-DSD512). Works perfectly o my R7.

I went back to asy_3 - for a second - I do recognize some of the findings but in my setup its all unreal presentation and unquiet. It was not comfortable listening for me.
The tonal balance of the P2 is so much better, I really enjoy listening. (NOS mode, I agree OS8 isn't my favorite anymore. I loved OS8 on smooth v2 synch firmware)
*** For me: TDA_asy_PS_2 (Smooth parallel version 2) in NOS mode is best ever ***

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #5,184 of 11,276
I'm backing up and starting over.... HDMI I2s from the U16 is not working correctly today. I reloaded Asy3 and listening with the F1 on input 6. I will refresh with Asy3 and move on to the parallel firmware.

My U16 does not work correctly even with Asy3. POS!

Oct 13, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #5,185 of 11,276
I'm backing up and starting over.... HDMI I2s from the U16 is not working correctly today. I reloaded Asy3 and listening with the F1 on input 6. I will refresh with Asy3 and move on to the parallel firmware.

My U16 does not work correctly even with Asy3. POS!

Annoying indeed - I am now playing with a Mano streamer on I2S (temporarily borrowed from a friend) and also works and sounds good. (Different sample rates randomly tested)
Again we end up with TDA_asy_PS_2 in NOS mode as best.
For me its clear the parallel version are a huge step forward, although I hope Kingwa can do some adjustments on 8OS.

Oct 13, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #5,186 of 11,276
Kingwa is monitoring the HeadFi threads today. He sent me a newer file to try to help with DSD clocking when using the U16. But does not help me with my U16 but sounds very good on PCM/DSD with the F1.

I went back and tried Asy3, P, P_2. PS_2, and the newer P2_dsdclk. The U16 no longer works with any of them! DSD with the F1 works with all of them.

Asy3 - Sounds good in retrospective look back, On hi-rez PCM files the OS 8x soundstage collapses slightly in comparison to the parallel firmwares. There is nothing wider that the width of my ears (headphones). At 192K OS 0x has more dynamics and wider presentation versus OS 8x. Is this correct? Don't know but always go by what sounds good or better.

PS_2 - The smooth version has a timber similar to Asy3. Seems like less grain too. The PCM image does occasionally go outside of the width of the headphones But adds to the experience for me. Still plenty in the middle.

P_2 and P2_dsdclk - After listening to PS_2 and Asy the added clarity and bass may be a little much. But nothing overdone. Smooth may be more balanced for your system. Bass is very tight, highs crisp with P_2s..

Here's the new R7 P2_dsdclk file if you are experiencing DSD issues over I2S give it a try. (R7tda_Asy_P2_dsdclk.jic) https://onedrive.live.com/?id=636DC4E8060D66A1!415&cid=636DC4E8060D66A1

Oct 13, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #5,187 of 11,276
Kingwa is monitoring the HeadFi threads today. He sent me a newer file to try to help with DSD clocking when using the U16. But does not help me with my U16 but sounds very good on PCM/DSD with the F1.

I went back and tried Asy3, P, P_2. PS_2, and the newer P2_dsdclk. The U16 no longer works with any of them! DSD with the F1 works with all of them.

Asy3 - Sounds good in retrospective look back, On hi-rez PCM files the OS 8x soundstage collapses slightly in comparison to the parallel firmwares. There is nothing wider that the width of my ears (headphones). At 192K OS 0x has more dynamics and wider presentation versus OS 8x. Is this correct? Don't know but always go by what sounds good or better.

PS_2 - The smooth version has a timber similar to Asy3. Seems like less grain too. The PCM image does occasionally go outside of the width of the headphones But adds to the experience for me. Still plenty in the middle.

P_2 and P2_dsdclk - After listening to PS_2 and Asy the added clarity and bass may be a little much. But nothing overdone. Smooth may be more balanced for your system. Bass is very tight, highs crisp with P_2s..

Here's the new R7 P2_dsdclk file if you are experiencing DSD issues over I2S give it a try. (R7tda_Asy_P2_dsdclk.jic) https://onedrive.live.com/?id=636DC4E8060D66A1!415&cid=636DC4E8060D66A1

Great to hear Kingwa is responding quickly!
The parallel tda_asy firmware on the R8 of my friend with his Mano works fine on I2S too. We did some tests with the SU6 connected and all fine.
Not enough time to listen carefully to judge on music - first impressions are good though.

Oct 13, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #5,188 of 11,276
Check that it is still in psa mode if using a configurable fw on the u16.
U16 still shows PSA. It appears to be getting the proper format and sample rate so It looks like the U16 is not the issue. I uninstalled/reinstalled the U16 driver, but I still get no sound. I'm going to try reflashing the R8 to see if that does the trick.

Oct 13, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #5,189 of 11,276

Is this file for R7 and R8?

Oct 13, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #5,190 of 11,276

I presume this FW with dsdclk only affects I2S input so if one is not using it, then it won't matter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back