New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Oct 14, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #5,206 of 11,260
Are you playing OS8 or NOS?
This firmware only has impact on DSD. Are you resampming everything to DSD?
OS8. Not from what i hear. It seems like Kingwa has retuned the sound overall. Or that the first time i listened to p2, there was some other issue with my setup. I would be very surprised i Kingwa had only changed DSD.

Os8 soundstaging is now very similar to NOS.

Oct 14, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #5,207 of 11,260
I seem to be concentrating on OS 8x with the new firmware as I have not heard it sound this good since V3A (on my R7 system). The U16 is limping along and plays 96K and 44K PCM from the PC. But I like the Singxer F1 as well. Even listened to S/PDIF and is very good. Appears differences between sources are less noticeable.

'DSDCLK' R7 firmware is sounding really good this morning with fresh ears (PCM OS 8x). It sure has a lot of sparkle but bass is also tight and full. Vocals have absolutely no grain! Imaging is more 3D. Seems like more transparency is showing up which helps depth. All sampling rates sound good (F1 not U16). Redbook is awesome as well as up to 192K.

I think parallel processing of FPGA data is tremendous and here to stay! And there is less noise when switching PCM to/from DSD and even between PCM sampling rates. This is fantastic! I'm tired of programming FPGAs so won't compare DSDCLK to P_2. When it sounds great just leave it alone and enjoy!

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #5,208 of 11,260
Here's Kingwa's description of the DSDCLK firmware...

'Here is a firmware with DSD Asy clock output , please test if can work with U16 better and sound if better?' {Did not help the U16 playback of DSD on my system}

Kingwa

Oct 14, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #5,209 of 11,260
Here's Kingwa's description of the DSDCLK firmware...

'Here is a firmware with DSD Asy clock output , please test if can work with U16 better and sound if better?' {Did not help the U16 playback of DSD on my system}

Kingwa
Me neither, dsd64 won't play and dsd to pcm transition and back most often produce heavy cracking noise.. But i don't care, pcm is great and the u16 will soon be gone...

Oct 14, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #5,211 of 11,260
Hi guys, can you please confirm that DSDCLK version is sound wise an improvement over P_2 with PCM files? I always have to borrow a laptop from a friend to make updates (pain in the @ss) and I've already donde the P_2 update.

Thank you!

Oct 14, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #5,214 of 11,260
Yah it appears from all of u who tested DSDclk that even PCM is improved and it applies to all input - I2S, F1/USB, SPDIF? So DSDclk is a misnomer then?
I'm using SPDIF and NOS

Oct 14, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #5,215 of 11,260
DSDCLK plays DSD great with the F1 I2S. Sucks with the U16 but always has with Foobar. Foobar use to output two loud pops when transitioning DSD to PCM. No more with DSDCLK (and even P_2)! There are some mild clicks but nothing like the eardrum splitting pops of the older firmware.

And DSD sounds good as well. No complaints and no "birdies" or other background noise (dead silent). What I like best about DSD in general is the very low level sound quality. Very linear. I see why classical folks like it so much. I have so much PCM though!

@barbas, @FredA, with his ultra-resolution HE system, likes DSDCLK best for PCM. It does image quite well and very crisp. Should you upgrade right now? Maybe wait for a few more reviews if inconvenient.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #5,216 of 11,260
Yah it appears from all of u who tested DSDclk that even PCM is improved and it applies to all input - I2S, F1/USB, SPDIF? So DSDclk is a misnomer then?

I have learned to trust my ears best. Kingwa may claim that there are no PCM code changes to DSDCLK but sometimes just recompiling firmware improves or makes worse the sound quality. Don't know but he could be making making minor code changes with each version. We'll take whatever gains we get and go with that! Has to pass the sound test!

Oct 14, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #5,218 of 11,260
I have learned to trust my ears best. Kingwa may claim that there are no PCM code changes to DSDCLK but sometimes just recompiling firmware improves or makes worse the sound quality. Don't know but he could be making making minor code changes with each version. We'll take whatever gains we get and go with that! Has to pass the sound test!
Fpgas are not microprocessors with a fixed set of instructions. It is a gate array, i.e. a configurable circuit you can tailor to implement any fonctionality you need, so a set of changes in the program means a change in the topology of the circuit, and most likely this topology is not controled 100% by the programmer. A change in the program can therefore result in a topology that makes the output signal cleaner.

This would be why maybe the new fw has the best resolution ever.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #5,219 of 11,260
Can't get USB Blaster to appear on Device Manager on two different PCs to try the R8HE upgrade.
Tried all three USB ports on laptop and all four USB ports on my wife's PC.
There's not much "grab" on the connector into the rear USP Upgrade port on the R8HE.
Could it be I'm not getting the electrical connection? as the connector is recessed from the rear panel...
I was thinking of shaving a 1/16" of rubber off the cable connector to see if it needed to connect deeper into the upgrade port.
Suggestions welcomed.

Oct 14, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #5,220 of 11,260
@AudioBang you should try to manually install the driver, that is what i did. When doing so, just specify the root path of altera, windows should find it by itself.
Thanks for the suggestion Fred. I'm not that computer savy. If the USB Blaster does not appear in the Device Manager, are there addional manual steps to get the computer to recognize the blaster?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back