New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jun 28, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #4,443 of 11,282
All this talk of the upper-end Audio-gd DACs is sure wetting my appetite for something more than what the R-28 provides – as wonderful as it is. It’s a funny thing where the R-28 is so good that it nearly makes me abandon the idea of bothering to “move up the chain”, and yet because it’s so great, I am left hungry for an even more fantastic experience.

Happy listenin’ this weekend, everyone.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #4,444 of 11,282
All this talk of the upper-end Audio-gd DACs is sure wetting my appetite for something more than the what the R-28 provides – as wonderful as it is. It’s a funny thing where the R-28 is so good that it nearly makes me abandon the idea of bothering to “move up the chain”, and yet because it’s so great, I am left hungry for an even more fantastic experience.

Happy listenin’ this weekend, everyone.
You too! This is the point of all this. Got Chet Baker and Paul Desmond playing for me. Great compilation called Together.

Jun 28, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #4,445 of 11,282
You too! This is the point of all this. Got Chet Baker and Paul Desmond playing for me. Great compilation called Together.

Nice! Will have to check it out.

Right now I’m enjoying a track entitled, “Strange Meeting” from the Bill Frisell, Dave Holland, and Elvin Jones record. Sounds rreeeaaalllyy nice through: R-28 > balanced pair of Precision 3S (w/ MUSES 8920) > KEF Reference 102/2s. Next month I’ll take delivery of a pair of speakers that use Scanspeak drivers (and Mundorf Supreme EVO silver-gold-oil capacitors); Revelator mid-woofers and an Illuminator Be tweeter.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #4,446 of 11,282
Nice! Will have to check it out.

Right now I’m enjoying a track entitled, “Strange Meeting” from the Bill Frisell, Dave Holland, and Elvin Jones record. Sounds rreeeaaalllyy nice through: R-28 > balanced pair of Precision 3S (w/ MUSES 8920) > KEF Reference 102/2s. Next month I’ll take delivery of a pair of speakers that use Scanspeak drivers (and Mundorf Supreme EVO silver-gold-oil capacitors); Revelator mid-woofers and an Illuminator Be tweeter.
Don’t have this album. I should check it.

Interesting. Which speakers are these, my friend is looking for a set?

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #4,447 of 11,282
I like making statements, and i guess you see me coming... Straight to the point: the r7-he is so good, i frankly take for granted it's my last dac ever. Of course, it's not cheap but in my audiophile experience, dating from 1990, i never came across a source sounding so right night after night. It plays like a work of art, cause that's what it is. It Kingwa's knowledge on digital sources distilled into a masterful dac. It will play anything and everything with brio. If i could just shut off that stupid neighbor tuning his Harley... Oh thanks God he just did, that idiot... Then he starts the engine up again... If he could listen to my setup for just a minute, he would sell that piece of junk.

Jul 2, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #4,448 of 11,282
Accusilicon oscillators installed in the M7S DAC along with the analog board servo op amps swapped to OPA2134. Luckily the op amps were socketed!! The easy oscillator installation method of lifting the I/O end of the digital board for bottom side access worked very well.

The old M7S sounds great at first power on after 2 yrs in storage. Using TDA Asy firmware (OS 8x) with the SU-6 driving HDMI I2S and sounds wonderful. Great rhythm and bass!

But I'm tired of changes to my audio system. Had the R7 for one year and has been nothing but constant change - three major DAC firmware releases, Accusilicon XOs, V2 DAC modules, two DDCs, USB bridge, cables, and R7 faceplate swap. It is overwhelming but for the pain and effort have three great sounding DACs! Very rewarding year in audio!

Jul 2, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #4,449 of 11,282
Accusilicon oscillators installed in the M7S DAC along with the analog board servo op amps swapped to OPA2134. Luckily the op amps were socketed!! The easy oscillator installation method of lifting the I/O end of the digital board for bottom side access worked very well.

The old M7S sounds great at first power on after 2 yrs in storage. Using TDA Asy firmware (OS 8x) with the SU-6 driving HDMI I2S and sounds wonderful. Great rhythm and bass!

But I'm tired of changes to my audio system. Had the R7 for one year and has been nothing but constant change - three major DAC firmware releases, Accusilicon XOs, V2 DAC modules, two DDCs, USB bridge, cables, and R7 faceplate swap. It is overwhelming but for the pain and effort have three great sounding DACs! Very rewarding year in audio!

Just enjoy. Once i have my valab litz silver ACSS cable assembled, i'll be done for a while. Loving the pace the Accusilicons bring. It was the only missing ingredient in my setup.

I enjoy my current ACSS from m1 to m3, but i know the valab can add something more to the to what is already an awesome setup.

Jul 3, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #4,450 of 11,282
Just enjoy. Once i have my valab litz silver ACSS cable assembled, i'll be done for a while. Loving the pace the Accusilicons bring. It was the only missing ingredient in my setup.

I enjoy my current ACSS from m1 to m3, but i know the valab can add something more to the to what is already an awesome setup.

Fred, how is the M3 and what speakers do you run? I've been thinking either a M3 or 2H for my speakers but it's hard to get any auditions. Some people complain about it sounding too relaxed or having weak bass is that your experience?

Jul 4, 2019 at 5:17 AM Post #4,451 of 11,282
I am not Fred but I own a Master 3. I disagree with "weak bass", In my humble view the bass is realistic and not bloated at all like with most amps. Its just what you are looking for. A bass that is always present is tiring and bores me. I prefer the bass to be deep as possible and bellow when it should! The sound is very lively but neutral. For me its still the amazing amplifier and one day the M2H will arrive at my home. Every time I am amazed how the sound is produced and takes no effort at all.

Jul 4, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #4,452 of 11,282
Fred, how is the M3 and what speakers do you run? I've been thinking either a M3 or 2H for my speakers but it's hard to get any auditions. Some people complain about it sounding too relaxed or having weak bass is that your experience?
I'm not Fred either, but of the amps I regularly use - relaxed and weak bass would be the exact opposite of how I'd characterize the M3. FWIW, when I visited Kingwa, he was kind enough to allow me to listen to the M3 and the M2Hs. Are the M2Hs better; yes. Are they a bit more to deal with in terms of space - definitely. Ultimately I chose the M3. If cost and space are not limitations, then go with the M2H. If you have the space for them and have speakers that are more in the normal realm of efficiency, I think he may be doing some Class A amps... send an inquiry and ask. (Sorry for continuing the OT).

Jul 4, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #4,453 of 11,282
It is very analog. It need be paired with the right cable, source and speakers to get enough dynamics, cause it won't create any by itself. The bass needs some time to join party. My speakers are an easy load, but dig deep. They are the Osborn Eclipse. The M3 has better bass overall that my nc500 monoblocks. I like a tight, controlled and textured bass and the m3 gives just that.

Soundstaging and imaging are excellent, and the top end, ultra-smooth. The mids are splendids. The m3 renders a piano perfectly. With the r7 fitted with the latest upgrades, using the u16, it's very nice.

The Eclipses are not super punchy so take that into account.

Jul 4, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #4,454 of 11,282
Oh thanks guys, didn't anticipate to get not one, but three awesome responses!

I certainly won't settle for second best for my endgame setup so I am leaning towards the Master 2H, and the fact it does 2 ohm sustain is what I'm after, I just thought people would have more experience with the Master 3 and I can make a decision based off that. I was going to visit Kingwa at his factory earlier this year but decided against it since I don't speak the local language, and I found out around the same time that he purchased a pair of my endgame speakers so it's even better just to get his opinion on the pairing.

And FredA, funny you mentioned the Osborn Eclipse and nc500 as I am familiar with both and provides a good reference point. I'm actually surprised to hear you find the M3 bass better than the nc500 which is already very good, and although the Eclipse isn't super punchy, it has a natural relaxed sound so it's surprising (in a good way) to hear that the M3 doesn't make it a snooze :) The Eclipse is a great speaker, not sure if you have heard Greg's other speakers but the Eclipse is probably his best value in terms of the sound you get per $.

I think he may be doing some Class A amps... send an inquiry and ask. (Sorry for continuing the OT)

I thought his Master 3 and 2H amps were already as good as class A amps (class AB without switching distortion), are his class A amps going to be even better in some other way?

My apologies for OT also :)

Jul 4, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #4,455 of 11,282
And FredA, funny you mentioned the Osborn Eclipse and nc500 as I am familiar with both and provides a good reference point. I'm actually surprised to hear you find the M3 bass better than the nc500 which is already very good, and although the Eclipse isn't super punchy, it has a natural relaxed sound so it's surprising (in a good way) to hear that the M3 doesn't make it a snooze :) The Eclipse is a great speaker, not sure if you have heard Greg's other speakers but the Eclipse is probably his best value in terms of the sound you get per $.

I thought his Master 3 and 2H amps were already as good as class A amps (class AB without switching distortion), are his class A amps going to be even better in some other way?

My apologies for OT also :)

To me, the m3 is as good as a class-a, in fact it's like an ultra-smooth class-a. The nc500 has a bit more detail and punch but lacks texture and sounds harsh in comparison. The m3 wins for every other aspects. But the break-in is not over with the m3. It will improve a bit with these weaker points, i am confident. If it stays as is, i won't be disappointed either cause i think it is superb.

If you are familiar with John Coltrane Blue Train, my setup makes the masterpiece completely captivating. The M3 can image incredibly well, so the Eclipses. And the r7he contributes in a major way to the sound. I cannot recommend it enough.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back