New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jun 6, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #4,307 of 11,259
@Chopin75 If you can identify a suspect recording on Spotify or similar I can check on my gear. I have many recordings that drove the old M7 with USB32 input nuts. Luckily they sound better on S7 and R7. But that is bad distortion if it sounds like a "fuzzy" record stylus.

Also PCM or DSD?
So far only 1 PCM digital album which I think is a flawed recording. It feels as if when they record they are blowing up the mics so there are buzz/distortions. It happens also on my MacBook speakers (though you can blame them for cheap). Perhaps some nicer speakers will dampen these effects. There is also 1 CD that does same thing. I can send you those digital files later for you to test. Thanks!
In the meantime I am now busy testing a USB optical cable (therefore with galvanic isolation), quite nice !

Jun 7, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #4,309 of 11,259
So far only 1 PCM digital album which I think is a flawed recording. It feels as if when they record they are blowing up the mics so there are buzz/distortions. It happens also on my MacBook speakers (though you can blame them for cheap). Perhaps some nicer speakers will dampen these effects. There is also 1 CD that does same thing. I can send you those digital files later for you to test. Thanks!
In the meantime I am now busy testing a USB optical cable (therefore with galvanic isolation), quite nice !

I would be happy to give it a listen but will be on holiday starting tomorrow. Perhaps last week in June.

But does sound like a bad recording or mastering.

Jun 7, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #4,310 of 11,259
Last edited:
Jun 7, 2019 at 11:50 PM Post #4,311 of 11,259
I would be happy to give it a listen but will be on holiday starting tomorrow. Perhaps last week in June.

But does sound like a bad recording or mastering.
I am beginning to hear more similar distortions on some other selected recordings now so I will collect a few and send to you. It seems all began after I set up my XLR output from the D2R7 but it is probably there even with RCA when I do A/B comparison but it appears the XLR brings it so prominently clear. The other possibility is that I have some defective vacuum tubes somewhere that brings on that but then it is unusual only some recordings are affected as if the tubes are defective issues should be present in almost all recordings.

Jun 10, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #4,312 of 11,259
I am beginning to hear more similar distortions on some other selected recordings now so I will collect a few and send to you. It seems all began after I set up my XLR output from the D2R7 but it is probably there even with RCA when I do A/B comparison but it appears the XLR brings it so prominently clear. The other possibility is that I have some defective vacuum tubes somewhere that brings on that but then it is unusual only some recordings are affected as if the tubes are defective issues should be present in almost all recordings.
OK, the distortions are nothing to do with the R2R7 or my XLR cables or my tube amps. I have swapped out all the components with a different DAC and amp but the distortions are still there if more subtle. It is just the R2R7 brings out the dirty crap much more clearly with the XLR output. It appears to be from digital source only, as my vinyl gig is fine. So the only ting that I have not really investigated is my power supply from the wall. A different DAC from a different isolation transformer still gives same problem so it is unlikely related to my power conditioners. Now would a filtering cable or power regenerator solve this problem? Or they are just bad recordings ? Should I get a HE R7 ?

Jun 10, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #4,313 of 11,259
OK, the distortions are nothing to do with the R2R7 or my XLR cables or my tube amps. I have swapped out all the components with a different DAC and amp but the distortions are still there if more subtle. It is just the R2R7 brings out the dirty crap much more clearly with the XLR output. It appears to be from digital source only, as my vinyl gig is fine. So the only ting that I have not really investigated is my power supply from the wall. A different DAC from a different isolation transformer still gives same problem so it is unlikely related to my power conditioners. Now would a filtering cable or power regenerator solve this problem? Or they are just bad recordings ? Should I get a HE R7 ?
That is what a revealing source is. You can try different different interconnects. Some will put emphasis on the bad sfuff. Some will be more balanced. And also try different power cables if you can borrow some.

Jun 10, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #4,315 of 11,259
Also pairing the r2r 7 with an audio-gd amp would give you a great match. These non feedback are very smooth. The m9 should do a great job. Even a better one using an acss ic.
The new tube pre-amp Kingwa launched would be an interesting one. It is true that with RCA unbalanced output the rough distortions of the bad recordings are more subdued and can be overlooked but not so with XLR. Also I may need better speakers too (they are single drivers, really pushed beyond their limits so more prone to distortions!) !

http://www.audio-gd.com/HE/MV1/MV1EN.htm

Though it does not appear to have ACESS input anymore.

I presume one can use XLR input and then RCA at output. Also they offer a cable to switch from ACSS to XLR which supposedly still helps with the sound.

Jun 10, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #4,316 of 11,259
The new tube pre-amp Kingwa launched would be an interesting one. It is true that with RCA unbalanced output the rough distortions of the bad recordings are more subdued and can be overlooked but not so with XLR. Also I may need better speakers too (they are single drivers, really pushed beyond their limits so more prone to distortions!) !

http://www.audio-gd.com/HE/MV1/MV1EN.htm

Though it does not appear to have ACESS input anymore.

I presume one can use XLR input and then RCA at output. Also they offer a cable to switch from ACSS to XLR which supposedly still helps with the sound.
Or else a m1/m3 combo like i have now. The m3 is the most smooth/analog amp i have heard in a long while. The mid is spectacular and bass control, outstanding. Takes forever to burn in and is huge however. It is slowing getting punchier. It will mature for quite a while it seems. But again it makes the sound very easy on the ears while maintaining very
good res. Great amp. The m1 is great too.

I don't if it is its superlinear characteristic, but the m3 reproduces a very convincing piano from top to bottom. Just a great rendition.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #4,317 of 11,259
I will get my R7-HE within the next few days. This thread has been so inactive lately. I have to bring it back to life.

Meanwhile Audio-gd has been selling gears, especially R2R-11s, like hot cakes. This combo is about to become the best selling unit ever for Kingwa, if not already, or the nfb-11 is. Kingwa must not regret the discrete DA converter adventure. It's been great for Audio-gd so far. With the r-27, one can expect the sales to increase to a new level. The product line-up is complete now IMO. The r-27 can be the end game combo to a lot of headfiers.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #4,318 of 11,259
Finally ..... a USB blaster finally arrived that actually works. I finally have an R7 (a front panel modded R2R7).

Of course, having done the hardware mod, the unit (and I) had to wait until the Blaster turned up to complete the upgrade.
So it has been a month or more.
I've immediately started listening again, having loaded up the R7 V3A firmware - I've found I'm favouring NOS3 - It's startling. No more pining for my CD playback.
I find it so hard to describe differences - even though it's so much easier to switch with the front panel selector (a godsend!).
Oddly I don't hear a big diff going from OS8 to NOS3, but I do switching the other way. OS8 does have great spaciousness, top end / air - but I found NOS 3 a little more definite and exacting - esp in its imaging (3D like). I guess that is more my thing.

This is the first in a couple of updates I'm attempting - I still have to do the DA-7 and the Oscillators to do. I can't imagine how things can improve tbh - but I can't wait.

Jun 15, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #4,319 of 11,259
Finally ..... a USB blaster finally arrived that actually works. I finally have an R7 (a front panel modded R2R7).

Of course, having done the hardware mod, the unit (and I) had to wait until the Blaster turned up to complete the upgrade.
So it has been a month or more.
I've immediately started listening again, having loaded up the R7 V3A firmware - I've found I'm favouring NOS3 - It's startling. No more pining for my CD playback.
I find it so hard to describe differences - even though it's so much easier to switch with the front panel selector (a godsend!).
Oddly I don't hear a big diff going from OS8 to NOS3, but I do switching the other way. OS8 does have great spaciousness, top end / air - but I found NOS 3 a little more definite and exacting - esp in its imaging (3D like). I guess that is more my thing.

This is the first in a couple of updates I'm attempting - I still have to do the DA-7 and the Oscillators to do. I can't imagine how things can improve tbh - but I can't wait.

I have the R8 with V3A firmware and I also prefer NOS3 mode and have the "exact" same opinion about it. I couldnt express it better, it just sounds right.
On the other hand V2 boards and Accusilicons made a big difference, as also did the Gustard U16. Totally worthwile!!

Jun 15, 2019 at 11:50 PM Post #4,320 of 11,259
I have the R8 with V3A firmware and I also prefer NOS3 mode and have the "exact" same opinion about it. I couldnt express it better, it just sounds right.
On the other hand V2 boards and Accusilicons made a big difference, as also did the Gustard U16. Totally worthwile!!
ON the the older FW V2S I still prefer NOS2, something not right about NOS3. But anyway, maybe V3A or V3S would be different. I have my blaster ready but still need to download my Windows onto my MacBook to do the job, how annoying ! Is there a Mac version, I hope! Funny Kingwa himself uses a MacBook but has to run everything on Windows on his Mac including music playback. he probably runs Bootcamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back