New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Apr 30, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #4,051 of 11,296
@DACLadder Do you have a photo of the orientation of the Accusilcons in the M7S? I know where they go on the board, just not in which order or which direction of the pins.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #4,052 of 11,296
The Singxer SU-6 arrives today and planning ahead... What jumper switches are you using for AGD DACs if using HDMI I2S output?

Sw 1-4 set the pins where DSD Enable appear on the HDMI connector. Does not apply in my case.
Sw 5 is MCLK or WCK on I2S so set to MCLK (Off).
Sw 6 sets the frequency of MCLK 22M/24M (Off) and 45M/49M (On). It think 22M/24M is correct for AGD DACs so Off.
Sw 7 "can separately set the left and right channels in DSD mode of the I2S signals". Does this apply in my case using native DSD? Or is Off normal DSD L/R for our DACs?
Sw 8 sets clock phase of I2S BCLK where default Off has HDMI connector pin4 BCLK+, pin6 BCLK-. Default looks correct for PSA HDMI I2S.
Sw 9 sets phase of LRCLK where default Off has HDMI I2S connector pin7 LRCLK+, pin9 LRCLK-. This is opposite PSA method so set to On for pin7 LRCLK-, pin9 LRCLK+
Sw 10 sets phase of DATA where default Off has HDMI I2S connector pin1 DATA+, pin3 DATA-. This is opposite PSA method so set to On for pin1 DATA-, pin3 DATA+.

Looks like set Sw 9 and 10 On for PSA HDMI I2S standard. Leave others off. Not sure what to do with Sw 7 which may not even apply. Thanks!
IMG_20190130_204412.jpg

Just follow the PS Audio column

Apr 30, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #4,053 of 11,296
On the Gustard U16 loaded 1.61 firmware today. Been using 1.4 PSA for the past 6 months. I still have the odd operational issues but 1.61 sounds really good! Amazing highs!

The SU-6 is going to have to be awesome to beat out the U16 soundwise.

The U16 I2S does sound great... when it works.

Really unacceptable to have to keep debugging playback issues. Want to spend time enjoying music and unwinding after work, not getting annoyed by static and rebooting equipment.

The SU-6 is a keeper for me, the next time the U16 throws a hissy fit it's going into the bin. :)

Apr 30, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #4,054 of 11,296
The U16 I2S does sound great... when it works.

Really unacceptable to have to keep debugging playback issues. Want to spend time enjoying music and unwinding after work, not getting annoyed by static and rebooting equipment.

The SU-6 is a keeper for me, the next time the U16 throws a hissy fit it's going into the bin. :)

Thanks for the info about the SU-6 switches. Yes, Sw 9/10 on and others off. Sweet!

The U16 died during playback yesterday after working OK for 6 hours. Took a hard power cycle of my system to get it to recover. Sigh! The SU-6 uses the same XMOS chip and Windows driver as the SU-1/F1. So it should just plug up and work without a lot of fiddling around.

Apr 30, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #4,056 of 11,296
@DACLadder Thanks for the photo. I will tackle the project in the next day or two. I want to get used to the sound before my latest purchase arrives, an Aurender N100H server, which will also change the perception of the sound of my system.

Apr 30, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #4,057 of 11,296
30h of "burn in the clocks" later, the exactness of the image is more precise, hard to believe that this is so affected from the clocks... bass and highs are as before, but the picture is more precise, the resolution of a lot of instruments or a chor is better seperated. Interesting result of a small intervention...really funny.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #4,058 of 11,296
To anyone who likes the 1704 sound as i do....sound character of 1704 is hard to beat in my opinion (master 11 nos, witch only 4x 1704), but the rendition and sepration of voices and instruments is absolutely stunning with the R8 - tda asy and the accusilicon clocks...i love the mid base of the master 11 nos, R8 loses in this skill, but the seperation and presentation is more precise. My u16 is out of the system for now, i still do not know how to think about....i am lucky to have the master 11, so i am able to check the advantages of the master1 and the r8 to be clear what the difference is in each and combined sq...(+acss)
If i can add a sonic feature to my which list, give me the 1704 lower mid base punch in the next fpga firm....the tda asy is a great experience compared to v3a...

Next to check are the master 11 nos clocks...research for an upgrade

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #4,059 of 11,296
The Singxer SU-6 arrived, connected, and works fine. I listened for about an hour and forgot I have to make a couple of switches to correct L-R and absolute audio phase!

Works great. Sounds really good. The external power supply is a $12.67 switching power supply (I found it online). But the SU-6 has fancy internal power circuits. No complaints about sound quality.

Let the burn-in begin again! (its getting old, really...).

@Toni-Mang You have a long way to go on the new Accusilicons. It is good though you comparing against a known reference. Week 2 on both my XO swaps was when the real magic began to happen.

Apr 30, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #4,060 of 11,296
Scott (@DACLadder) - you are a keeper sir - your contributions to the thread are constant and enlightening - and you freely pass on advice to me about my chaotic progress in getting through the updates - without judgement. Thanks cobba.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #4,061 of 11,296
The Singxer SU-6 arrived, connected, and works fine. I listened for about an hour and forgot I have to make a couple of switches to correct L-R and absolute audio phase!

Works great. Sounds really good. The external power supply is a $12.67 switching power supply (I found it online). But the SU-6 has fancy internal power circuits. No complaints about sound quality.

Let the burn-in begin again! (its getting old, really...).

@Toni-Mang You have a long way to go on the new Accusilicons. It is good though you comparing against a known reference. Week 2 on both my XO swaps was when the real magic began to happen.
So could one replace the cheap external PS with a nice LPS easily ?

May 1, 2019 at 2:31 AM Post #4,063 of 11,296
Hi,
Finally the V2 boards and the Accusilicon XO's are installed in my R2R-7. It took me almost two hours and power on was 20 minutes ago. I had plans on "pre-baking" the XO's before putting them in but times has passed since I ordered them and I am too eager... So first start was lucky (should be if You are careful and thorough). PCM works right out after the swops but DSD64 have noise but the noise is lowering during playing... DSD128 worked instantly (strangely enough..?)

Well, the journey has begun... with my new R2R-7
/Jan

ps. I will later swop the XO's in my 27.77....but for now I want to have it as a reference during the R2R-7-upgrade../J

Last edited:
May 1, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #4,064 of 11,296
Hi,
Finally the V2 boards and the Accusilicon XO's are installed in my R2R-7. It took me almost two hours and power on was 20 minutes ago. I had plans on "pre-baking" the XO's before putting them in but times has passed since I ordered them and I am too eager... So first start was lucky (should be if You are careful and thorough). PCM works right out after the swops but DSD64 have noise but the noise is lowering during playing... DSD128 worked instantly (strangely enough..?)

Well, the journey has begun... with my new R2R-7
/Jan

ps. I will later swop the XO's in my 27.77....but for now I want to have it as a reference during the R2R-7-upgrade../J

Hi Jan.

How did you proceed? Did you need a special iron tip to solder?

May 1, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #4,065 of 11,296
Update. 4 hours later..

This upgrade is a real roller coaster... now and then it already reveals some of its qualities.. This will definitely exceed its prestage. Very well worth the effort to perform the job.

I did the full job by:
1. Took out the Amanero module, HDMI-module and the TOS-module.
2. Unsoldered the 2x RCA's and the BNC connector
3. Unsolder the V1-boards, secured the cables on the Digital (mother-)board
4. Took out both the side isolator plates and also the isolation plate to the front (transformer dep.)
5. Loosened the digital board and flipped it up to the front, standing on the transformers. This to get access underneath to the XO's solderings. (Mine were soldered tight to the board and was only accessable from the backside of the board. Unsoldered the XO's with thin braid wire.
6. Soldered the new XO's in.
7. Put back the Digital board
8. Carefully soldered the V2 boards to all the wires, then mounted them with the screws. This is pretty straight forward but needs precausion to be correct
9. Soldered back the wires to the RCA's and the BNC connectors
10. Put back the side- and front isolator plates.
11. Put back the Amanero, HDMI and the TOSLINK-module.
12. Top lid on
13. Power On!
Finished!
/Jan

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back