New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
May 1, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #4,082 of 11,275
@PLGA No problem on the R7 with I2S and PCM. Worked the same before and after the mods.

I just commented that making system changes, over the years, I’ve experienced anomalies that seem to go away and never return. And I had no issues with these latest changes.

Last edited:
May 1, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #4,083 of 11,275
Thank you Scott.
Today I play 44.1 up to 88.2 PCM files with my U16 (1.4 PS Audio firmware) vía I2S on my R8 with no issue at all.
Im very very pleased with the sound. I think I will rave with the upgrade!

May 1, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #4,085 of 11,275
I currently have a pink faun I2S pci card -> HDMI -> R8. Would there be any benefit replacing the pink faun with a SU6 or U16? Thanks.

Do you have the oven controlled oscillator option in the Pink Faun? That combo is suppose to be holy grail of HDMI I2S. If not then the U16 is great for the money. May or may not have operational issues in your system. The SU-6 is nice and sounding great so far even with the supplied power supply.

Does the Pink Faun work with DSD? That may be another consideration.

Last edited:
May 1, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #4,086 of 11,275
Do you have the oven controlled oscillator option in the Pink Faun?

This is going to be my next purchase unless I find a reason not to go this route. After upgrading my clocks in the R8 with a great outcome, I was going to move on to upgrading the pink faun as well.

I was thinking about not upgrading the pink faun and going the SU6/U16 way, if it would yield a better outcome.

This review seems to prefer the PF I2S: http://www.modelpromo.nl/PinkFaun_I2S_Bridge.htm

Does the Pink Faun work with DSD?

It does not support native DSD.

May 2, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #4,087 of 11,275
@PLGA I have still weired issues on the i2s Input of my R8 with the new clocks, sync on off, change of Os/Nos, On/Off does not bring Sound...sometimes noise sometimes silence…
The only workaround after changining the Input on the R8 is to pull and plug the I2S cable…
BUT - the increase of precision in imaging is worth the effort, i hope that might be a temporary appearance of TDAasy and the new Clocks...they have under 40h of run in.
I have not checked my U16 or V3A yet, i listen with the PS Audio PWT via I2S. I read the post of the I2S challanges with the clocks and the Firmware...but i would do it again without hesitation.

Last edited:
May 2, 2019 at 6:14 AM Post #4,088 of 11,275
@PLGA I have still weired issues on the i2s Input of my R8 with the new clocks, sync on off, change of Os/Nos, On/Off does not bring Sound...sometimes noise sometimes silence…
The only workaround after changining the Input on the R8 is to pull and plug the I2S cable…
BUT - the increase of precision in imaging is worth the effort, i hope that might be a temporary appearance of TDAasy and the new Clocks...they have under 40h of run in.
I have not checked my U16 or V3A yet, i listen with the PS Audio PWT via I2S. I read the post of the I2S challanges with the clocks and the Firmware...but i would do it again without hesitation.
Just in case.you would not know, you should alway turn off the source and r8 before disconnecting a i2s input.

I believe brand new xos have jittery episodes within the first days. Popping can occur and other problems having to do with timing.

May 2, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #4,089 of 11,275
Thank you for your hint, I know...but this is the only working sollution rigth now...i have to disconnect the cable and plug it in again, without a signal, but with dac and pwt on.
power dac and/or source on and off gives no sound actual...i am unsure what the reason for this behaviour is...because the difference in imaging was noticable without burn in...

May 2, 2019 at 7:49 AM Post #4,090 of 11,275
@Toni-Mang I am not familiar with the R8 but did you change firmware recently? If so go back to what worked reliably for debug purposes. The Sync control no longer has any function with Asy firmware. And if not using Asy you may try it as the HDMI I2S definitely changes to no longer using I2S MCLK and the requirement to sync to it.

And it is really recommended to turn power off when connecting the HDMI connector. In the dark ages of HDMI I2S I fried an Off Ramp 5 DDC hot plugging HDMI I2S.

May 2, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #4,092 of 11,275
The SIngxer SU-6 is really good (PCM). First impressions are usually true for me as sound changes tend to blend together after some time. I have lousy audio memory! Plus I made so many changes... where does one stop and the other start?

The highs with the SU-6 are clean and clear. My R7 is awash with high frequencies and they are lush and not harsh. Bass is excellent as well. Mid-range good, vocals excellent. I could go on with flowery adjectives but overall sound is excellent. No complaints...

I'll compare the SU-6 to the U16 next week but sound seems relaxed with the SU-6. Detail and soundstage is still there. It is easier to accept the sound as true and normal with the SU-6. My system is still changing with all the hardware changes but no complaints with the SU-6. And I returned to using the supplied 7.5V power adapter for the SU-6. I ran the SU-6 with +5V linear supply for 6 hrs. no problem but sound is just as good with the 7.5V adapter.

May 2, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #4,094 of 11,275

Thank you Toni
I use V3A firmware and U16 with PCM.
I hope it will work flawlessly.
I will post my impressions once I upgrade the R8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back