New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Aug 15, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #2,761 of 11,259
Is there a way to know what Foobar is outputting ? Foobar is hard to work around :frowning2: then the R2R7 only show number LOL!

Not that I know of... Using WASAPI I was satisfied Foobar worked correctly when I had the Iggy and front panel indication of sampling rate. With upsampling I feel Foobar is working OK as I no longer hear any clicks or pops on random file play with different sampling rates. No even faint clicks. Previously playing native files of extreme sampling rate differences could sometimes generate a mild click.

With Foobar2000 I use Anamon Vertigo wrapper or skin that looks like this. Vertigo adds remote operation as well. I never got into the command line version of Foobar or any other player.

Foobar2000.jpg

Aug 15, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #2,763 of 11,259
Understand.... Need mo' betta tools. Indicator lights and displays are nice to have for confirmation. But like everything costs more money to implement. An R8 like LED array would make displaying sampling rates and modes like DSD/ PCM trivial. Next gen R7 perhaps. As long as it does not affect sound quality!

No telling what Kingwa is cooking up in the lab.

Aug 15, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #2,764 of 11,259
I got the R2R7 to play back DSD512 now using HQplayer. Finally, something properly to make it works. Using this software, the noises induced into the Amanero384 is minimized, and disappear when music kicked in. Audirvana 3.2 does not work, Jriver will have screeching like crazy when the first song stopped, and Foobar ....I don’t even know if I am hearing DSD512 roflmao...there is no option for filters like HQPlayer.

Damn, the HQPlayer is very very good when using DSD512 upsampling with different filters, the effects are so pronounces. My favorite is Poly Sinc Shrt mp 2s . Expensive at $157, but I am running trial now and see how well it hold up. The library and organization is a nightmare though. A screen shot of the first configuration that worked nicely
CAA1D491-396C-454F-9914-7D703AC9EED5.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #2,765 of 11,259
The r-8 is so much cheaper, it is a very attractive offer, the transformer are smaller and overall weight is down 7 pounds. As mentioned, it has a cost-reduced digital board similar to that of the cheaper r2r-1. Specs are are similar to the r2r7's. Great value it seems.

Aug 15, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #2,766 of 11,259
I got the R2R7 to play back DSD512 now using HQplayer. Finally, something properly to make it works. Using this software, the noises induced into the Amanero384 is minimized, and disappear when music kicked in. Audirvana 3.2 does not work, Jriver will have screeching like crazy when the first song stopped, and Foobar ....I don’t even know if I am hearing DSD512 roflmao...there is no option for filters like HQPlayer.

Damn, the HQPlayer is very very good when using DSD512 upsampling with different filters, the effects are so pronounces. My favorite is Poly Sinc Shrt mp 2s . Expensive at $157, but I am running trial now and see how well it hold up. The library and organization is a nightmare though. A screen shot of the first configuration that worked nicely

If you find you like the sound of HQPlayer, Roon will feed it well if you need better library management. Of course, I believe the cost of Roon is now quite a bit more expensive than when it was first introduced.

Aug 15, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #2,767 of 11,259
36838113-DFF0-4DEF-9AEF-EEE6176F6FCF.jpeg
Check out the Super short. Regen USB that I am now using to connect the ifi Galvinic directly to the USB input of the R2R7. There is significant improvement partly I have replaced the stock USB with it, with more clarity and smoother now even without the isilencer. I had to take the isilencer out of the chain as I suspect it is causing the F1 to shut down, as it happened again today. Now I put the isilencer at a different USB site away from the chain and seems to work fine, I hope.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #2,769 of 11,259
If you find you like the sound of HQPlayer, Roon will feed it well if you need better library management. Of course, I believe the cost of Roon is now quite a bit more expensive than when it was first introduced.

I would use Roon, but the price is $500, and it upsampling isn’t near the HQPlayer capability. I will find a way to deal with managing the library in HQPlayer instead and pay that $157

Aug 16, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #2,770 of 11,259
I would use Roon, but the price is $500, and it upsampling isn’t near the HQPlayer capability. I will find a way to deal with managing the library in HQPlayer instead and pay that $157

Yes, the price is now ridiculous. In this configuration, Roon would be the user interface and HQPlayer would be the audio engine that does all of the upsampling and filtering. You can set this stuff up so that the upsampling and filtering reside on a powerful computer away from the audio system and stream it to a small low power silent computer attached to the DAC.

Aug 16, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #2,771 of 11,259
Yes, the price is now ridiculous. In this configuration, Roon would be the user interface and HQPlayer would be the audio engine that does all of the upsampling and filtering. You can set this stuff up so that the upsampling and filtering reside on a powerful computer away from the audio system and stream it to a small low power silent computer attached to the DAC.
Yeah, I hear a friend does this with IphoneX and it sounds very good. But I am not going down this road as I already have a dedicated built PC for audio purposes and using with HQPlayer. I will try to use Jriver interface instead

Aug 16, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #2,772 of 11,259
I posted invalid info about the r-8. It does use the same transformers as the r2r 7. Only, the chassis is lighter, which explains the weight difference. SMD is used to cut on costs. And a simpler digital board as mentioned.

Aug 16, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #2,774 of 11,259
The R2r7 with new firmware enable input 6, USB with S2 jumper as compatible mode to other USB interfaces. Perhap, I can try this Xmos module again and see if it works ? It didn’t work before

Same for PCM and DSD? Kingwa claims the Amanero USB module is so good it never needs the lower bandwidth mode. But worth a try for debug.

Aug 16, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #2,775 of 11,259
Same for PCM and DSD? Kingwa claims the Amanero USB module is so good it never needs the lower bandwidth mode. But worth a try for debug.
Amanero suck the monkey....

I have Xmos208 from dx200 and even from Dx200, the sound performances on DSD512 externally or internally is better in sound performances and even technically as when I used high processing filter from HQPlayer, the Amanero in R2R7 just stutters where as Dx200 as a portable player using Xmos208 is not stuttering

I am not sure if R7 board can process the data from Xmos216 on the Diyinhk module that does 768khz and dsd1024. Previous firmware it was not compatible, and so it had a lot of unintelligent statics with some music playing...it made me pull my freaking head out of my neck and gave up. Put back Amanero and DSD512 is playing but still with bugs, such as switching track on DSD512 and it screeches

What does S2 do ? He only told me that it is compatible modes...but what exactly in the blue moon is it ?

Wait...the Cyclone FPGA in R7 is capable of 8.5GbpS ? Holy smoke

I am so sure that the native DSD512 on R2r7 is behind Lks004 is due to the stock Amanero card. Lks004 also use amanero384 but is an upgraded one. I need something that runs xmosXU216 for the future needs

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back