New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Aug 14, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #2,731 of 11,260
No luck finding Audirvana 3.2. Seems only Audirvana Plus 1.0 is offered. With the Plus trial version I can't find 'User Preferences' where you set sampling, etc (not under General). The manual does not match the Plus windows... :frowning2:
Scott, try HQPlayer

Aug 14, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #2,732 of 11,260
Thanks @JaMo. Look at that on the R8.

R81.jpg

Aug 14, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #2,733 of 11,260
R8 is different inside, not just the front panel settings.

'The R8 is based on the R2R7 design, and maintaining musicality is the goal. Attractive price.'

Maybe a scaled-down R2R7?

R86.jpg
R2R75.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #2,734 of 11,260
"My bad but the upgrade is not an update of the R2R 7 bit it is a new model which supposed to be released end of this month but some resellers already published on their website :frowning2:.

The new R8 will have a new front panel and no need to set jumpers.

Sorry to give you wrong information in my previous email!"

Okay, so R2R 7 line won't get the update after all. Shame :/

Aug 14, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #2,737 of 11,260
I need to try some different Windows players. Foobar has served me well and components are constantly upgraded. When switching players the many times tried previously the library and metadata formats require manipulations to look right. Took me years with Foobar to get the look correct. And sounds the same as J River.

But I am really liking NOS 3 upsampled using V2 Smooth. Very dynamic with tremendous bass authority but also balanced and tight. But the trebled clarity is amazing and not the warmish, rolled off sounding highs using straight NOS 3 with no upsampling. Also a LOT of low level detail.

Aug 14, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #2,738 of 11,260
Would the sound be affected by adding this switching panel and buttons etc?
I once asked kingwa why not implement these setting by a simple firmware mod. and be able to use the existing front panel buttons to change them. His answer was pretty straightforward: top of the line models won't sacrifice sound quality for convenience.

Aug 14, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #2,739 of 11,260
Switching with toggle switches are awesome. But that would be more things getting into the circuitry where it matters most....for example noises, if they use a digital board and toggle switch. Or sound degradations of the related components.

It isn’t hard to do this on yourself. But I rather use jumpers :D, simple, pure, and effective

I once asked kingwa why not implement these setting by a simple firmware mod. and be able to use the existing front panel buttons to change them. His answer was pretty straightforward: top of the line models won't sacrifice sound quality for convenience.

Exactly!

Aug 14, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #2,741 of 11,260
The R8 looks like a cost reduced R7. Less money/ fewer inputs. The R7 is still the top end DAC.

This pretty much summed it up. There are no FPGA inputs which you found on R2R7.

Honestly, the R2R7 is so Pure and Raw that it would spit chicken poos into your ears if your source of transportation suck! Period.

The better your source of transportation, the better the r2r7 scale up. That is how crazy it is. Then IIS input is the best of what R2R7 can do, not USB.

Aug 14, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #2,742 of 11,260
Hi all,
Please check out Audio-gd's Chinese webpage: http://www.audio-gd.com/Ch audio-gd.htm
I used google translate to get this: "R1 step resistor DAC R8 step resistor DAC
all settings can be done on the panel (no need to turn on the machine settings)
NOS mode of 4 different algorithms, 3 different sampling rate OS mode 7 different sound characteristics, just through the panel The buttons on the top are switched."
The price for R8 seems to be around 1k5 (USD)

/Jan
LOOKS like it is not published on the English web yet, so maybe he is testing the local market first? Looks quite similar to R2R7.

Aug 14, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #2,745 of 11,260
This also explains the R8:
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/dac-...native-dsd-i2s-acss-amanero-fgpa-p-13211.html

They do mention use of FPGA at the input. Call me stupid, but I still can't see much difference with the R2R7, except for the new panel that allows sampling change. They do mention about usng FPGA for upsampling etc. Is that also done with R2R7 ?

The r2r7 has 2 Xillints at the Input, 1 Xillints take 3 inputs. The R8 does not have these 2 Xillints. Upsampling and all DSP is done by Altera and yes, R7 has it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back