New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Aug 11, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #2,701 of 11,259
50/50.

If Pink Faun wanted to, I bet they could develop a PCIe to I2s card that does DSD512, 1024, or more. I don't think it's too much about the chip maker, though of course that's in play.

The main point is for sure demand... There just aren't enough crazy nutbags out there that demand DSD512 delivered via PCIe add-in card using HDMI/LVDS I2s! Can you believe that?!? :p

I will continue to hold out hope, though. I'll buy that new card from them and drop it into my custom PC running on a mobo with 4x Pink Faun OCXOs :-D Now THAT's a funny market they've got their hands in now, but I'm sure as hell happy they're into it.

Aug 11, 2018 at 6:45 AM Post #2,702 of 11,259
Actually, the main chip is very important, and no manufacturer is developing it. Except C-Media.

All true Direct I2S designed devices are stuck at 32/192Khz. Not only Pinkfaun.

Unless they do a bridge conversion of DDC, and using Xmos chips or FPGA to do the job, then it can output I2S D1024. But that defeats the purpose of pure Direct i2s

Aug 11, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #2,703 of 11,259
Started reading this thread about three or four weeks ago and by the time I reached Page 100 I bought a used Singularity 7 (Actually a Master 7 that was upgraded). After burning in for 120 hours I took the top off and found jumper pins on S2 and Bypass which means NOS Mode 3 and Bypass active. I'm 71 years old but stuck in Hi-Fi mentality from 30 to 40 years ago so most what I've been reading in this thread is going over my head so please excuse a newbie question or two.

Under what circumstances would I want Bypass active?

Since I went over budget for this purchase it will be a few months before I can add upgrades like better USB and power cables. After those upgrades what do you recommend I add to improve the sound? I mainly listen with Audeze LCD-X headphones and a 40 year old Soundcraftsmen Preamp/Equalizer for my headphone amp. I eventually want to get a Master 9 for headphone listening.
Bypass is only useful when you use an i2s source which has too much jitter and you hear popping noises. It has no effect on the other inputs with the original firmware.

To improve the sound, try the new firmwares. To do that, you need a usb blaster, a pc running windows and to install altera programming sw on it. It is quite tricky to get everything right with the firmware porgramming setup. This matter is covered in the posts from 1-2 months ago. With the new firmwares (there are 3 variations), the jumper have a different signification. See the updated r2r 7 manual on audio-gd's site.

Get a generic 14awg power cord for under 20$ in an electronics parts store. This generally improves bass response.

As for usb, try the ones you have around. They don't sound all the same. It is in big part a matter of impedance matching. Also, some cables provide better isolation between the v-bus (power) and data bus. A simple trick you can use with a cheap usb cable you don't care about is to isolate the v-bus contact at source (computer side) to prevent it from contanining the data. Never done it myself however. I would put some sort of varnish on the power contacts on th a-side of the cable and let it dry.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #2,704 of 11,259
If onnnnnnnnnly Pink Faun would make a PCIe DSSD512 capable I2s card... Sad days on that front :frowning2:

And it's the T+A DAC 8 DSD that you were mentioning above about the native DSD. However, it uses 2 completely DACs. I think they're using 4x Wolfsons for the PCM conversion and 4x custom 1-bits for their DSD. Don't quote me, but I do know they're not using the same DACs for both types. There are a couple other DAC makers that take this approach; Lampizat0r is one that I can remember.

Anyway, good luck with getting the R2R7 to do DSD512. I really wish Pink Faun would come around and release a new PCIe I2s card, but my hopes are pretty low on that front :frowning2:
Yah it is a shame! For classical fan like myself I am collecting more and more native DSD files so for now there is no direcr I2S except perhaps those companies that forcw u to use all their own products like the incredibly expensive playback design which has their own I2S to output DSD. So in general I am still listening to SACD for DSD esp in Surround. The market is narrow parly due to Sony’s own sabbotage of its own format and ironically it does not even produce DSD recordings (most converted to PCM) and only in in 2011 is it allowing DSD files to be sold. So there is lots of catching up to do for the industry. Audio-gd does use a separate so called Chipless DAC to process/ decode DSD, as R2R cannot do so. Therefore all the R2R DAC that can do Native DSD are using a separate decoding system as far as I know.

Aug 11, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #2,705 of 11,259
50/50.

If Pink Faun wanted to, I bet they could develop a PCIe to I2s card that does DSD512, 1024, or more. I don't think it's too much about the chip maker, though of course that's in play.

The main point is for sure demand... There just aren't enough crazy nutbags out there that demand DSD512 delivered via PCIe add-in card using HDMI/LVDS I2s! Can you believe that?!? :p

I will continue to hold out hope, though. I'll buy that new card from them and drop it into my custom PC running on a mobo with 4x Pink Faun OCXOs :-D Now THAT's a funny market they've got their hands in now, but I'm sure as hell happy they're into it.
I talked to pinkfaun but they did confirm no DSD via I2S, only via USB. I am fine with DSD256 even, if they can get the right chip to do that. We may have to bug them together to get their acts together to do it haha. It sounds like the Pinkfaun get their chips somewhere else when I talked to them. I think it may come one day. I bet some Dutch guy will do it or maybe German guy. They are more into classical music and that is where the market is.

Aug 11, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #2,706 of 11,259
Actually, the main chip is very important, and no manufacturer is developing it. Except C-Media.

All true Direct I2S designed devices are stuck at 32/192Khz. Not only Pinkfaun.

Unless they do a bridge conversion of DDC, and using Xmos chips or FPGA to do the job, then it can output I2S D1024. But that defeats the purpose of pure Direct i2s
Well, I kind of agreed with that point, not said it was meaningless. The chip isn't meaningless, but what is more important than that is motivation, priority, budget, and drive. I think due to limited market demand Pink Faun just lacks the motivation to prioritize the new development of a PCIe card that outputs I2s up to 32/7?? for PCM and DSD512/etc. If they didn't, we'd either have a new card by now or it'd be on the cusp of being released. Audio gear is all full of lots of remarkable design concepts and novel approaches to problems other manufacturers figured impossible to solve. But the real issue is that you just needed the right person with the right idea and the right resources to look into it.

Anyway, I only keep stoking this fire in hopes that Pink Faun scours the internet and digs up these posts, then they start working on this. I've really wanted one for a while now.

Aug 11, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #2,707 of 11,259
Bypass is only useful when you use an i2s source which has too much jitter and you hear popping noises. It has no effect on the other inputs with the original firmware.

To improve the sound, try the new firmwares. To do that, you need a usb blaster, a pc running windows and to install altera programming sw on it. It is quite tricky to get everything right with the firmware porgramming setup. This matter is covered in the posts from 1-2 months ago. With the new firmwares (there are 3 variations), the jumper have a different signification. See the updated r2r 7 manual on audio-gd's site.

Get a generic 14awg power cord for under 20$ in an electronics parts store. This generally improves bass response.

As for usb, try the ones you have around. They don't sound all the same. It is in big part a matter of impedance matching. Also, some cables provide better isolation between the v-bus (power) and data bus. A simple trick you can use with a cheap usb cable you don't care about is to isolate the v-bus contact at source (computer side) to prevent it from contanining the data. Never done it myself however. I would put some sort of varnish on the power contacts on th a-side of the cable and let it dry.
does it mean for Mac users one need to run Windows on the MAC and then load the firmware?

Aug 11, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #2,708 of 11,259
Well, I kind of agreed with that point, not said it was meaningless. The chip isn't meaningless, but what is more important than that is motivation, priority, budget, and drive. I think due to limited market demand Pink Faun just lacks the motivation to prioritize the new development of a PCIe card that outputs I2s up to 32/7?? for PCM and DSD512/etc. If they didn't, we'd either have a new card by now or it'd be on the cusp of being released. Audio gear is all full of lots of remarkable design concepts and novel approaches to problems other manufacturers figured impossible to solve. But the real issue is that you just needed the right person with the right idea and the right resources to look into it.

Anyway, I only keep stoking this fire in hopes that Pink Faun scours the internet and digs up these posts, then they start working on this. I've really wanted one for a while now.
Email them as I did and bug them about it. They are Dutch, so they are pretty good about these tech stuff. They also have the local Audi-gd dealer Magna, so they sell I2S input DACs, so there should be a market for it. They also sell Holospring that has superb DSD apparently with I2S input. Some DSD fans convert all PCM to DSD and feed into it.

Aug 11, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #2,709 of 11,259
Email them as I did and bug them about it. They are Dutch, so they are pretty good about these tech stuff. They also have the local Audi-gd dealer Magna, so they sell I2S input DACs, so there should be a market for it. They also sell Holospring that has superb DSD apparently with I2S input. Some DSD fans convert all PCM to DSD and feed into it.
I'm happy to hear there's more than just me and Whitigir emailing them about this :p No joke, him and I have been emailing Pink Faun, by coincidence, for like a couple years. I've been on them for 3 years for sure. I'm not sure about him. I'm happy to hear you're on the team too. Pink Faun is a great company and I've got nothing but love for them. I just hope they unleash a new baller PCIe card soon. I'll stay on the emails. Good luck to our cause!

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #2,711 of 11,259
Yes, it looks like Kingwa is reusing jumpers S0/1/2 to enable 'Hi Exact' mode or something like it for individual I2S inputs. Previously Hi Exact was controlled by BYPASS and affected all I2S channels. See below... Not sure if these are official changes that we will see going forward. Kingwa may be attempting a unified f/w for all I/O configs with these jumper changes. Not sure though. In my case S0 doesn't apply as I do not have I2S on Input 4. ONLY USE these jumpers if you have noise on I2S inputs. Keep them off for best sound. Upgrade your equipment/ cables!

I'll put R7V3 up on the server when Kingwa gives his blessing...

Here are the jumper changes...

Setting change :
NOS = BYPASS ON OS = BYPASS OFF

Synchronizer : (Default is OFF (Hi Exact). If the sound had issue, change the setting .)
IN4 IIS = S0 ON (If sound had issue, try to push into a jumper on S0. Default is OFF )
IN5 IIS = S1 ON (If sound had issue, try to push into a jumper on S1. Default is OFF )
IN6 IIS = S2 ON (With Amanero on IN6, must keep it as default, without jumper. If customer modify with other brand USB interface, can try to push into a jumper on S2 find the better state )
Just to confirm, I stick the jumper on bypass it becomes NOS 3, meaning I don’t put jumpers on ATT0 and ATT1, correct? but are there 2 types of NOS 3? I see that if ATT0 on is still a NOS 3.

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #2,712 of 11,259
Correct BYPASS = On is NOS mode with V2 firmware. I never understood what ATT0/1 jumpers actually did in the older firmware. Sound wise most prefer the default mode 3.

NOS 3 = NOS mode 3

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #2,713 of 11,259
Correct BYPASS = On is NOS mode with V2 firmware. I never understood what ATT0/1 jumpers actually did in the older firmware. Sound wise most prefer the default mode 3.
Thanks, listening to NOS 3 now but need to wait for it to warm up again. I vaguely remember ATT0 is meaningless in NOS3, so it doesn’t matter. It appears for the R2R1 users NOS1 may be preferred, per the other R2R thread here. Kingwa apparently said NOS1 is more for higher sample rate. Does he mean it is for DXD ?

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #2,714 of 11,259
Thanks, listening to NOS 3 now but need to wait for it to warm up again. I vaguely remember ATT0 is meaningless in NOS3, so it doesn’t matter. It appears for the R2R1 users NOS1 may be preferred, per the other R2R thread here. Kingwa apparently said NOS is more for higher sample rate. Does he mean it is for DXD ?
That is correct, NOS is theoretically better when you have a good source that can upsample well enough (software + hardware). However, with a good source, I enjoy Non-UpSampling from my PC and NOS together

Aug 12, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #2,715 of 11,259
I enjoy Non-UpSampling from my PC and NOS together
Friday night I switched from A+NOS3 to SA+8xOS

Sound is more forgiving -- there's a tail in there, and yet I'm hearing less depth?
My center image filled in with more treble -- I guess that's the effect of 8xOS?
A clapping audience sounds like the hands are cupped -- not as realistic. I presume that's the SA.

I should have tried A+NOS0 before flipping the FW. Is NOS0 still an option in V2?
@FredA you love your treble like me. Was your favorite A+8xOS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back