New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Mar 26, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #1,219 of 11,260
I did contact Magna about their Mod SU-1, and they claim their mod is better than stock SU-1 + external DC supply alone. There is also this new Matrix SPDIF 2 that uses either USB PS, or external DC power supply. I am also wondering if using intona + Matrix SPDIF2 would be adequate, and not use DC power but power via USB. There is theory of contamination from USB power but Intona is supposed to have isolated it. But perhaps the DC power (needs to be LPS) may give extra boost so it won't work as hard.
Also is there like a word clock input for the Singxer SU-1 ? Is that to reclock the outgoing signal to prevent jitter after conversion from USB signal to I2S etc ?

Mar 26, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #1,220 of 11,260
I did contact Magna about their Mod SU-1, and they claim their mod is better than stock SU-1 + external DC supply alone. There is also this new Matrix SPDIF 2 that uses either USB PS, or external DC power supply. I am also wondering if using intona + Matrix SPDIF2 would be adequate, and not use DC power but power via USB. There is theory of contamination from USB power but Intona is supposed to have isolated it. But perhaps the DC power (needs to be LPS) may give extra boost so it won't work as hard.
Also is there like a word clock input for the Singxer SU-1 ? Is that to reclock the outgoing signal to prevent jitter after conversion from USB signal to I2S etc ?
The clock connector is an world clock output, for dacs that accept clock signals i guess.

The intona will do a fair job, if your ddc use less then 300mA. Ideally, i would use a lps, one with ultra-low noise.

Mar 28, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #1,221 of 11,260
Hi guys,

Just received today my R2R-7.
I heard 6 moons settings was : ATT0, ATT1, IPS0, IPS1 should be jumpered only.

You confirm ?

I take a photo of my settings, is it ok from your point of view ? regards.

IMG_20180328_172505.jpg

IMG_20180328_171931.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #1,223 of 11,260
Hi guys,

Just received today my R2R-7.
I heard 6 moons settings was : ATT0, ATT1, IPS0, IPS1 should be jumpered only.

You confirm ?

I take a photo of my settings, is it ok from your point of view ? regards.

IMG_20180328_172505.jpg

IMG_20180328_171931.jpg
Correct. Congrats on your new purchase!

As I can see, you'll be the fist one to test de new USB Amanero board with isolation and class A power supply :wink:

Mar 28, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #1,225 of 11,260
As I can see, you'll be the fist one to test de new USB Amanero board with isolation and class A power supply :wink:
I'm listening to the new R2R 7 with the new Amanero board since Friday. I can't say it's better then before because the last time i listened to the Amanero input is some time ago. But i can say it's still not near the R2R 7 combined with the Singxer SU-1 magnafied using I2S.

Mar 29, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #1,226 of 11,260
Yet another incompetent doing measurements of an audio-gd gear somewhere on the internet, namely the nfb27.38. The guy is so ignorant, while supposed to be an EE, it's quite obvious for any deserving owner of an EE degree, as i am. One thing really obvious: the guy does not even know a balanced signal with peak amplitude matched with its single-ended counterpart will correspond to 4 times the power.

Then the guy compares the measurements of the nfb27.38 to those of the Topping DX7. There is a big flaw with the test. He uses the single-ended headphone out outputting a 6v rms signal under 35 omhs or so. This means roughly 1Watt of power, resulting in heavy distorsion with the audio-gd, and minimal distorsion with the Topping.

Many facts must be pointed:

1. on the least sensitive cans out there, 1w of power translates into roughly 150dB at the headpones. So one simple observation, at that level, you ears will distort a lot more than the measered value, especially at the specific moment when you eardrums explode.
2. Audio-gd measures its gears at 0dB, which i assume means a 2.5V level, which translates into a more reasonnable 200mW, single-ended, and 800mW balanced under the stated load. Using either output, it means you get well over 100dB on the most difficult loads out there. Still deafening levels in fact.
3. Past a certain level, it's normal to see the performance of a non feedback amplifier degrade quickly. A feedback design will offer a much more faithful deafening experience.
4. With an actual listening test, the guys picks minor differences between the audio-gd and the Topping, which illustrates two things: the guy is not an audiophile nor a melomane, and two, the distorsion of the nfb27.38 must not be so bad after all.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #1,227 of 11,260
Yet another incompetent doing measurements of an audio-gd gear somewhere on the internet, namely the nfb27.38. The guy is so ignorant, while supposed to be an EE, it's quite obvious for any deserving owner of an EE degree, as i am. One thing really obvious: the guy does not even know a balanced signal with peak amplitude matched with its single-ended counterpart will correspond to 4 times the power.

Then the guy compares the measurements of the nfb27.38 to those of the Topping DX7. There is a big flaw with the test. He uses the single-ended headphone out outputting a 6v rms signal under 35 omhs or so. This means roughly 1Watt of power, resulting in heavy distorsion with the audio-gd, and minimal distorsion with the Topping.

1. on the least sensitive cans out there, 1w of power translates into roughly 150dB at the headpones. So one simple observation, at that level, you ears will distort a lot more than the measered value, especially at the specific moment when you eardrums explodes.
2. Audio-gd measures its gears at 0dB, which i assume means a 2.5V level, which translates into a more reasonnable 200mW, single-ended, and 800mW balanced under the stated load. Using the balanced out, it means you get 100dB on the most difficuot loads out there.
3. Past a certain level, it's normal to see the performance of a non feedback amplifier degrade quickly. A feedback design will offer a much more faithful deafening experience.
4. With an actual listening test, the guys picks minor difference between the audio-gd and the Topping, which illustrate two things: the guy is not an audiophile nor a melomane, and two, the distorsion of the nfb27.38 must not be so bad after all.

He may know all that, but chose the most convenient reasonings, and formed lies, shells, to reason under his opinions. He bend it to serve his purposes in debates and arguments just so long as he could win the debate by confusing you into submissions . I would gave him a lawyer degree as well :D . He is not the only one though, you will see many more, and there is one big one, I don’t want to point out

Mar 29, 2018 at 5:27 AM Post #1,228 of 11,260
He may know all that, but chose the most convenient reasonings, and formed lies, shells, to reason under his opinions. He bend it to serve his purposes in debates and arguments just so long as he could win the debate by confusing you into submissions . I would gave him a lawyer degree as well :D . He is not the only one though, you will see many more, and there is one big one, I don’t want to point out
This really makes me sick. Having done this rectification, anyone googling dx7 and nfb27.38 will find my post. As you said, the guy must know what he's doing, or he's just an idiot. It's as if i was talking politics.

Mar 29, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #1,229 of 11,260
I performed two sets of tests: most of the tests were with the unbalanced RCA output out the back of the unit, not headphone output. In addition to those "DAC tests," I also tested the headphone out with respect to power output and impedance. Now that you know this, please explain again what is incompetent about the data.

Once again, most of the tests are with the DAC portion alone. There, the comparison is the same as the unbalanced RCA outputs are used. Here is an example output from RCA outs, NOT headphones:

index.php

1. on the least sensitive cans out there, 1w of power translates into roughly 150dB at the headpones. So one simple observation, at that level, you ears will distort a lot more than the measered value, especially at the specific moment when you eardrums explode.
2. Audio-gd measures its gears at 0dB, which i assume means a 2.5V level, which translates into a more reasonnable 200mW, single-ended, and 800mW balanced under the stated load. Using either output, it means you get well over 100dB on the most difficult loads out there. Still deafening levels in fact.
I replicated that very test to the bit and got completely (worse) results than they show on their spec page. See: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-dac-and-headphone-amplifier.2486/#post-71124

And my reporting/measurements show that degradation clearly. Their own specs are not at all compliant with the performance I see and paint a picture of an amplifier stage that is using feedback. That is not correct.

4. With an actual listening test, the guys picks minor differences between the audio-gd and the Topping, which illustrates two things: the guy is not an audiophile nor a melomane, and two, the distorsion of the nfb27.38 must not be so bad after all.
Please. I have been an audiophile for nearly 50 years. I am a trained listener professionally and can pass double blind tests of tiny differences that scare most people from just running the tests. :) Yes, my hearing is not as good as younger folks but in this case, what I hear correlates with the measurements.

Please forgive me for being blunt but being an EE is insufficient for you to know psychoacoustics. Much of the distortion we measure is masked by the music itself. I am pretty sure the differences I noted would be inaudible to many others. Please read my tutorial on audio measurements to understand what these measurements, and how audible they can be.

But you can ignore all of my listening tests and just go by the measurements. On that front, the company is well aware of my work and they have NOT produced any measurements of their own to counter them. I am happy to be corrected but not by wrong assumptions of what is measured and not having your own data to counter mine.

The manufacturers should be producing the measurements I am producing. Since almost none do, I am performing that task with no compensation whatsoever. It is just a service to the community. As such, it seems odd that you would spit on my work while defending the company. Whose side are we on anyway?

Mar 29, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #1,230 of 11,260
THD is not everything, though didn’t Audio GD admit that R2R has higher level of distortion ? What about tubes ? Of course tubes has much higher THD vs Semiconductor, but it still sound good. Let alone when comparing ESS a company that is very well known to produce world class chips on specifications. The general is that R2R has the Tubes like characteristic vs Solid state ?

This is the reason why I mentioned that the Dynamic range of ESS9038Pro configured as 2X at 140Db is not easily achieved by any other things on the market. Once adhered to the requirements, these DAC are more than likely to be lasting for a long while, probably until ESS9048Pro release in 15 years or so ?

Audio GD has good dual ESS9038Pro DAC. I opted for LKS, simply because they were the first on the market to have done it, and I am not disappointed, not at all

Of course, there are things that can surpass human hearings, and if they fail to tell, everyone lay back on psychoacoustics like you mentioned, and or they would fall back on “it can’t be bad, because it is expensive”. We already hear manufacturers who took advantage of this anology “it is expensive, because it sound good”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back