New Audio-gd R2R 7 Flagship Resistor Ladder DAC

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by Currawong, Jun 30, 2017.
  1. gk2013
    It was my understanding the accurate firmware is "experimental", all systems are shipped with "smooth" version. what do you mean with how they will "manage accurate vs smooth"?

2. enigmus12
    From what I was understanding "Accurate" was correcting something on the DSP output but Kingwa was "in fear" that it will be too much details for the users of R2R 7 (vs musicality). I was meaning that they probably do not know yet what will be the standard FW in the future because if the accurate really correct the DSP output there is no reason not to be the standard one (but if users dislike it, you can't).

About the NOS1 problem yes it's a bug but I don't have any problems with that, accurate is doing the job for me on my setup and I was just curious about NOS1.

3. FredA
    I guess i am gonna stay with my current settings and smooth firmware until Kingwa figures things out. It's seems like a real R&D problem. I remember what the accuracy of the audiophilleo brought to my system 5 years ago: extreme clarity but a little too bright. I am starting to wonder if inaccuracies in recording studio equipements or in the mastering process could be what causes this problem.

In any case, i like the way my setup sounds very very much. The smooth firmware could be the official one as far i am concerned.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  4. gk2013
    Have you tried the Curious Cable weithout the iFi USB3.0? What do you like better? With or without the iFi?

5. Currawong Contributor
    I thought it more likely that "accurate" mode might be too strict for completely reliable operation of the electronics.

6. Wynnytsky
    Then I'd think accurate + NOS + PLL would have to be the strictest possible config, and I'm not having any issues via the USB input (but no such luck with i2s over a 4.5' hdmi cable)
    Does that work for others?

I've got the super short curious cable so I'd have to buy the longer one to try that.
    Sometimes I like listening with the extra cable and iFi removed. Everything is a trade off, and this variety is fun to observe.

7. peterzzz
    A filter with that property for 16bit would have a window size around a million taps.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/watts-up.800264/page-23#post-13772435

8. FredA
  9. FredA
    No issue here with i2s combined with nos. But pll is off and I use rj45 i2s.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  10. peterzzz
    That is how I understand it, yes.

11. FredA
    Incidently, i find audiorva/izotope plays better with a million rather than half a million sample window.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  12. barbas
  13. JaMo
    @ barbas: Thanx for a good guide. -What firmware did You use?

/Jan

14. Currawong Contributor
    It's on the Audio-gd page under the "manual" tab as well. I think the 6moons reviewer didn't even try looking.

15. punit
    What do you use for rj45 connection ? i.e. how do you convert the digital signal from your music server / computer to rj45 ? I think you mentioned the singxer f-1 but that does not have rj45 digital out ? Did you mod yours ?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017