New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Aug 20, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #2,881 of 11,282
Anyone using the Hydra Z? For whatever reasons the Hydra Z is not compatible with the old Master 7 over HDMI I2S. A few users tried and no luck.

I think the current generation of DDCs are way past their peak. The new Xmos U216 has more memory and faster plus learn from the current generation designs and improve on lowering jitter and better performance.
Also when I read carefully teh Hydrra z can only do native DSD128 then it upsamples on the fly to 1024 so maybe of interest to some. I am primarily interested in its clock, as I want to have 3 DDC clocked together to do Multi-channel with 3 DACs one day. Though I do need at least DSD 256 naive playback.

Aug 20, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #2,884 of 11,282
People also stop making music servers with I2S output. Most use USB and not even having AES/SPDIF.
That is because manufacturers are pushing USB too hard, but don’t you see ? Multibit DAC communicate by I2S. Therefore, Direct I2S is the best, sadly the only one now is Pinkfaun, and you need a PC but it also sticks at 32/ 192Khz max

Aug 20, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #2,885 of 11,282
Has anyone noticed that some or many of the recordings made in the 1990s to early 2000s were simply amazing? I have been listening to some CDs of that period and they sound simply amazing with R2R7 via my CD transport! Granted, the CD transport is the Sony esoteric SA-60 ($4500 back > 10 yrs ago), and I use AES instead. But the liquid smooth, almost vinyl like analogue, deep natural atmospheric sound stage at times makes me wonder that had I know CDs to sound that amazing I may never have gone to digital Hi-Res downloads or continue to collect more vinyl. But apart also fact that CDs back then were produced properly, instead of burned-in nowadays, there got to be some other explanations.

One possibility is perhaps R2R or at least multibit A to D recorders were used before invention of signa delta 1 bit tech which destroyed PCM recordings? All recordings are now using SD chips.

Then there is this:
https://www.cnet.com/news/compression-is-killing-your-music/#

Thirdly, recordings may do lots of digital editing instead of balancing them right in the first place. So they do crappy job wit miking etc... this is really obvious with orchestral recordings, and it is too costly to employ the entire orchestra to spend too much time miking and balancing on the spot, or do retakes etc. just do editing later on..

Perhaps the main reason why DSD recordings are so good is because they cannot edit (needs to convert to PCM to do any editing) so they need to balance everything right on the spot and reduce the need to edit later on. (Also musicians need to be Damn good, with flawless playing).

So currently my CD got still beats downloads ! The R2R7 has brought the CD sound to unprecedented level.
Also the R2R7’s dynamics is simply amazing ! I had to lower the volume few times as the forte in certain passages has become ffff instead of ff. One of my dying speakers is clipping like crazy (some damaged driver(s). Wow... for downloads still somewhat fuzzy with complex texture (or [blame the recording ?) which may mean the F-1 still needs more burning in as well (I read it also needs 500 hrs!).

R2R7 is at NOS3 mode

CD player —> BNC—->RDL transformer/reclocker to——>AES ————> R2R7

MacBook Air on battery —-> idefender + ipower ——-> igalvanic ——> isilencer ——-> F1 internal board —> R2R7

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #2,887 of 11,282
Has anyone noticed that some or many of the recordings made in the 1990s to early 2000s were simply amazing? I have been listening to some CDs of that period and they sound simply amazing with R2R7 via my CD transport! Granted, the CD transport is the Sony esoteric SA-60 ($4500 back > 10 yrs ago), and I use AES instead. But the liquid smooth, almost vinyl like analogue, deep natural atmospheric sound stage at times makes me wonder that had I know CDs to sound that amazing I may never have gone to digital Hi-Res downloads or continue to collect more vinyl. But apart also fact that CDs back then were produced properly, instead of burned-in nowadays, there got to be some other explanations.

One possibility is perhaps R2R or at least multibit A to D recorders were used before invention of signa delta 1 bit tech which destroyed PCM recordings? All recordings are now using SD chips.

Then there is this:
https://www.cnet.com/news/compression-is-killing-your-music/#

Thirdly, recordings may do lots of digital editing instead of balancing them right in the first place. So they do crappy job wit miking etc... this is really obvious with orchestral recordings, and it is too costly to employ the entire orchestra to spend too much time miking and balancing on the spot, or do retakes etc. just do editing later on..

Perhaps the main reason why DSD recordings are so good is because they cannot edit (needs to convert to PCM to do any editing) so they need to balance everything right on the spot and reduce the need to edit later on. (Also musicians need to be Damn good, with flawless playing).

So currently my CD got still beats downloads ! The R2R7 has brought the CD sound to unprecedented level.
Also the R2R7’s dynamics is simply amazing ! I had to lower the volume few times as the forte in certain passages has become ffff instead of ff. One of my dying speakers is clipping like crazy (some damaged driver(s). Wow... for downloads still somewhat fuzzy with complex texture (or [blame the recording ?) which may mean the F-1 still needs more burning in as well (I read it also needs 500 hrs!).

CD player —> BNC—->RDL transformer/reclocker to——>AES ————> R2R7

MacBook Air on battery —-> idefender + ipower ——-> igalvanic ——> isilencer ——-> F1 internal board —> R2R7
It's very hard to bring a computer to the same level as an exellent cd transport. Took me 7-8 years. Now i prefer the sound from the computer. But it had to be isolated in a thorough manner.

Aug 20, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #2,888 of 11,282
It's very hard to bring a computer to the same level as an exellent cd transport. Took me 7-8 years. Now i prefer the sound from the computer. But it had to be isolated in a thorough manner.
Computer can do wonderful, but is not easy to do so. About transport, I think Aune S5 can do i2s out at dsd1024 ?

Aug 20, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #2,889 of 11,282
Good lord! I will need to upgrade my computer soon that has more RAm than 4 GB and more power. Likely A Macbook pro with latest chip, and I need a new Laptop anyway, not just for music. Or maybe eventually a true dedicated computer for audio with I2S output which plays DSD 256 which does not even exist now.

Aug 20, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #2,892 of 11,282
Last edited:
Aug 20, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #2,894 of 11,282
The AUNE S5 is a nice package. But HDMI I2S is wired wrong for AGD products. It will work PCM however but L-R channels are swapped and absolute audio phase is 180 deg out. Same deal as the Gustard U12 connected to a R7.

DNLAs are attractive. But has to sound good and have a slick control interface. The AUNE S5 has a lot of features I like though.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #2,895 of 11,282
The AUNE S5 is a nice package. But HDMI I2S is wired wrong for AGD products. It will work PCM however but L-R channels are swapped and absolute audio phase is 180 deg out. Same deal as the Gustard U12 connected to a R7.

DNLAs are attractive. But has to sound good and have a slick control interface. The AUNE S5 has a lot of features I like though.
Do you think this can be fixed easily? Just changing the HDM! I2S setting to match AGD products?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back