New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
May 12, 2024 at 7:10 AM Post #11,285 of 11,305
Fantastico!

Oh, that's wonderful that HE2 mk3 eliminates the pair of external gain stages with regenerative power supplies, like the mk2 had.

The amps are 10 mm taller, 20 mm wider, and 7 mm longer.

One day....
It's still only the gain stages usiing regen power, which makes sense. It's not possible or worth it for the power stage. So it is the same as the mkii functionnally speaking but with better packaging and improved regen psu. I like them too. I would eventually get a set if I had a bigger soon.

Shipping cost most be very high.

May 12, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #11,286 of 11,305
Yeah, I wrote that poorly. I should have emphasized the fact the regenerative power gain stages were no longer external.

I know that it wouldn't make sense for him to develop all sorts of additional SKUs, but I would love for there to be the option of a monoblock amp that puts out, say, half the power of the HE-2, but still has like 90%+ of the refinement (I know it's difficult putting a number on a 'level of sound' in percentage terms, but you get the idea). The Master 3/3A is so massive; the 3 version puts out more power than I would really need; and both versions use a fair amount of power at idle.

Whereas, the Precision 3S units I have are a touch underpowered, and while they sound amazing for the price, are obviously going to limited in their overall sound, what with their 4 output devices per channel and whatnot (compared with the HE2's 40 per channel. But I do like that a pair only uses 60 watts total at idle.

Something smaller, lighter, a bit less power hungry, but still with fantastic sound.

Yeah, that shipping cost nowadays on the HE-2 Mk3 is going to be high indeed!

May 12, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #11,287 of 11,305
Yeah, I wrote that poorly. I should have emphasized the fact the regenerative power gain stages were no longer external.

I know that it wouldn't make sense for him to develop all sorts of additional SKUs, but I would love for there to be the option of a monoblock amp that puts out, say, half the power of the HE-2, but still has like 90%+ of the refinement (I know it's difficult putting a number on a 'level of sound' in percentage terms, but you get the idea). The Master 3/3A is so massive; the 3 version puts out more power than I would really need; and both versions use a fair amount of power at idle.

Whereas, the Precision 3S units I have are a touch underpowered, and while they sound amazing for the price, are obviously going to limited in their overall sound, what with their 4 output devices per channel and whatnot (compared with the HE2's 40 per channel. But I do like that a pair only uses 60 watts total at idle.

Something smaller, lighter, a bit less power hungry, but still with fantastic sound.

Yeah, that shipping cost nowadays on the HE-2 Mk3 is going to be high indeed!
Seems like you described the discontinued A1. :) Sorry, not a monoblock.

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #11,288 of 11,305
The A1 is essentially a fused pair of Pecision 3/3Ss. In headphone amp terms, akin to the NFB-1, vs something like the HE-9 mk3.

Continuing with the comparison to headphone amps, it would be nice to see a lower powered (but with similar refinement) HE-9 LE, in a mono power amp. Something to pair up nicely with a R-27 RE for a complete (more energy efficient) system.

May 12, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #11,289 of 11,305
The A1 is essentially a fused pair of Pecision 3/3Ss. In headphone amp terms, akin to the NFB-1, vs something like the HE-9 mk3.

Continuing with the comparison to headphone amps, it would be nice to see a lower powered (but with similar refinement) HE-9 LE, in a mono power amp. Something to pair up nicely with a R-27 RE for a complete (more energy efficient) system.
Yeah. I could use a small set of monoblocks with matching response to the m3 to bi-amp. Something as refined as the m3 (or more), but less powerful, and with the same gain. That would awesome. 125w under 8ohm would be perfect. Weighting between 25 and 30 pound per block and with regen power on the gain stages. About 3 to 3.5k a pair. Maybe Kingwa will like the idea? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back