New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Feb 8, 2024 at 9:02 AM Post #11,086 of 11,368
2. I see that a twin case option is available for the R7HE MK3, has anyone seen it in the flesh by any chance. The single chasis version is really big and heavy. Probably a twin box, with the regenerative supply and dac section separated will be easier to handle and might also improve sonics. Hence curious about this. Any pics will be lovely to gaze upon.

Thanks in advance for your time and feedback.
I think you misinterpreted the text on the website: "Two chassis versions available". This applies to the black or silver finished chassis, not a version with two chassis.

Feb 8, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #11,088 of 11,368
Let me rephrase...there is no doubt that R8H2/DI20HE is clearly better, clearly an upgrade to R1N/DI20HE

However I wanted to give the best impression/recommendation for the money vs performance.

R1N/DI20HE vs the R8H2 alone!

R1N/DI20HE is not beyond my endgame....the R8H2/DI20HE is.

Feb 8, 2024 at 11:33 PM Post #11,089 of 11,368
Hi all :)

Long time lurker, but finally took the plunge today, as Iam very keen on the Audio-GD dacs. As a brief introduction, I've been on a dac search for almost 3 years now. Since dealer presence is sparse in my area, been using youtube videos to audition gear as best as I can. Yeah I know that is flawed, but it is better than buying blind :)

The only dac i auditioned in my room is a Gustard X26 pro, and liked it a lot. It was more detailed than what I presently have, but its stage width was relatively smaller.

I recently acquired a pair of pre-loved audio-GD master 2H mono blocks, which really impressed with their tonal colour and texture. And that coming from a tube guy running 845 SET's and EL34's can be considered high praise. Though the bass is more than I could accommodate in my small room, they are a keeper for me considering how real everything sounds on them, especially strings, piano and Vocals.

Then today by chance, i saw a comparative video of dacs on youtube by Alpha audio, where the Audio-GD R1 was included. Even on the brief bits of testing, I could discern how the R1 was noticeably richer and colourful in tone. Very similar to the Master 2H amps. Which is exactly what I seek.

So, below are my 2 queries :

1. Understand that the R1 is NOS and could be slightly different from the other dacs in the family. So in case I go with the R7HE MK III, will it preserve that tonality I heard with the R1. Or does it sound different. Ideally the R1's tonal colours and saturation, with albeit more details like the Gustard X26 pro, and an expansive stage will be end game for me.

2. I see that a twin case option is available for the R7HE MK3, has anyone seen it in the flesh by any chance. The single chasis version is really big and heavy. Probably a twin box, with the regenerative supply and dac section separated will be easier to handle and might also improve sonics. Hence curious about this. Any pics will be lovely to gaze upon.

Thanks in advance for your time and feedback.
Go for the R7 / H7 . It sounds great with tubes and will better the X26 for sure ...

Feb 9, 2024 at 11:28 PM Post #11,091 of 11,368
@OCC7N

Finally beginning to understand what you are saying about the R-1 NOS, having neutrality perfection in a DAC. I just finished modding my CMA400i with analog inputs and am listening with the R-1. This is a very easy listening experience with heaps of detail. I really enjoy a questyle amp through my ZMF Auteurs. I hope that what I am hearing can just be attributed to class A design in both DAC and AMP. I will be looking for something more stable (modding the CMA400i got a little messy for my tastes) as an amp but I will also need something with a touch of warmth. I'm not after that crisp/detail heavy sound and prefer smooth listening definitely. Currently reading about a Kinki THR-1. Also it is really evident that Audio-GD designs their DACs to work with solid state amps. R-1 NOS + Questyle CMA400i is giving me flawless performance sonically. Equally relaxed and engaging presentation with a healthy amount of warmth. The questyle is softening the treble region significantly but high treble songs still have great sparkle. The CMA600i would be a great pairing as well with its analog inputs and higher specs. Unfortunately availability is low currently.

The Master 19 is high on my list as well, do you think it would be too neutral for me?

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 12:12 AM Post #11,092 of 11,368
Audio-gd amps all have a touch of warmth. I haven't tried a whole many other amps but there is nothing cold or sterile about any Audio-gd gear. They are made for music appreciation.

Does anyone know what Kingwa listens to? His favourite albums?

Feb 10, 2024 at 8:28 AM Post #11,094 of 11,368
@OCC7N

Finally beginning to understand what you are saying about the R-1 NOS, having neutrality perfection in a DAC. I just finished modding my CMA400i with analog inputs and am listening with the R-1. This is a very easy listening experience with heaps of detail. I really enjoy a questyle amp through my ZMF Auteurs. I hope that what I am hearing can just be attributed to class A design in both DAC and AMP. I will be looking for something more stable (modding the CMA400i got a little messy for my tastes) as an amp but I will also need something with a touch of warmth. I'm not after that crisp/detail heavy sound and prefer smooth listening definitely. Currently reading about a Kinki THR-1. Also it is really evident that Audio-GD designs their DACs to work with solid state amps. R-1 NOS + Questyle CMA400i is giving me flawless performance sonically. Equally relaxed and engaging presentation with a healthy amount of warmth. The questyle is softening the treble region significantly but high treble songs still have great sparkle. The CMA600i would be a great pairing as well with its analog inputs and higher specs. Unfortunately availability is low currently.

The Master 19 is high on my list as well, do you think it would be too neutral for me?
Magna has it on demo/sale. Just get it👍 - Master 19

Start with cheap ACSS if MWAY REF is out of budget. I do not recommend the Robertson/ACSS for R1N, but for R8 yes👍
-sidenote I see they change the name of the MWAY cable to 1DW instead of the old name NTRL

Master 19 - then - DI20HE -> the whole experience.

DI20HE is going to be really exciting upgrade. Adventure/campaigns games are so immersive because of the sound/element separation. It makes me turn my head or eye sometimes😅

Budget:
Here is what I think you should do before DI20HE. Get the Pink Faun I2S Bridge and use a good decent I2S cable(copper only or plated with Tin nothing more!). When you can confirm this is a great match like I did, especially in the musical direction and analog/texture... then you can switch the input board to SPDIF/COAX/BNC(Bridge) and use it as input on DI20/24HE*. Instead of buying a whole new board bridge and just the input board for around 60-90dollars. I have not done this yet as I am awaiting the input board still...but if you can get the PF I2S Bridge for cheap it is going to be a very engaging experience. Especially the texture on drums. Music is more visible.

The perfect match of headphones is HE400SE.

*firmware not released yet on 24HE
—-
What do folks recommend for Hifiman HE1000V2 (not stealth)?

https://www.hifiman.com/products/detail/267

Same as above, but you can not live without the DI20HE for those headphones. With DI20HE you will be able to see the massive soundstage on those headphones. Instrument placement, Layers/separation...The DI20HE does it!

When you move up from R1N the sound will be on the more packed analog wise(not soundstage), which makes it sounds sweeter and saturated, to the ear "like a ripe plum". HE400SE can not follow this performance. However I place the Arya/HE1000 series somewhere in between(R1N-R8M3) and DI20HE is the missing link for the R1N, and serious improvement to HE400SE.

R1N/DI20HE is just the best buy for the budget. Not only the music, but the flexibility of DI20HE is something I still can not fathom. All the outputs sounds differently amazing. I2S AES SPDIF RCA and ACSS/BNC.

Adding Master 19 and ACSS cables. You will have an endgame setup I assume. I love the ACSS so much I would buy this amp if I had the money, and for the sound I am trying to achieve with the R1N.

----
Headphone cables

When you are this far headphone cables is the last crucial part.

For R8H3 I would recommend Hybrid and Rhodium connectors. And a lot of patience for the rhodium - 1000hours atleast.

For R1N I would still say hybrid but copper/gold connectors, not Rhodium. A very good OCC copper cable will do very good though. I would go for FAW cables as a starting point with their Clair Mk2 series. These beats Arya stock cable noticeably.

FAW HPC Hybrids needs a lot of patience, more than the stock Susvara cable. I am not in doubt the one I ordered custom with Rhodium is 2000hours to settle. It is the perfect match for R8H2 analog sweetness.

----

Listening on Susvara right now between R1N R8H2. What DI20HE has done for the R1N is unreal. Before, Susvara made the R1N sound like a toy and very exposed. Now I am pretty close to speechless.

R1N has the perfect sonic signature the neutral side of the difference is very likable because it is soo.ooo easy to digest. The sweet analog texture/warm DI20HE adds is perfect for the R1N.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #11,095 of 11,368
Same as above, but you can not live without the DI20HE for those headphones. With DI20HE you will be able to see the massive soundstage on those headphones. Instrument placement, Layers/separation...The DI20HE does it!
Thanks!
I’m new to this and not even clear how on how to track their webpage. I think you are recommending for he1000v2 that I start with Master 19 for amp/ preamp, R1N for DAC and add on D120HE for DDC. Is that right?

Feb 10, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #11,096 of 11,368
Thanks!
I’m new to this and not even clear how on how to track their webpage. I think you are recommending for he1000v2 that I start with Master 19 for amp/ preamp, R1N for DAC and add on D120HE for DDC. Is that right?
I have had Arya V2 and HE1000 Stealth. Even though Stealth is upgrade to Arya I place them same because of the spacious soundstage.

Yes I rather recommend those 3 than HE9 LE and only one part more. This risk is soo much better and cheaper to experience the ACSS.

Nothing can possibly beat this recommendation for double price I am very positive about the R1N. It scales with everything.

I challange anybody to find a better combination for the money: Used DI20HE, R1N, Master19.

I might get the Master 19 before I get DI24HE, even though it sounds incredible on XLR(HE9LE). ACSS is just another dimension, and my R8H2 has it now

—-
R27RE costs 2300dollars
R1N and Master 19 around 1700 dollars finding a used DI20HE is still a better buy imo

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #11,097 of 11,368
Feb 10, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #11,098 of 11,368
Do you know how makes them? some company on behalf of Magna? not from waycables.com, right?
I think Magna makes them. If not I dont know who. That company looks interesting do they have ACSS?

Feb 10, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #11,099 of 11,368
I think Magna makes them. If not I dont know who. That company looks interesting do they have ACSS?
yeah, the only thing that came up when looking for M-Way besides magna... built to order, handmade designer stuff, pretty sure won't be "cheap" but how/why should it? couldn't find acss from them...

remember a video from Ocd Mickey where he drove around with a friend/colleague of his... also in building cables... drove in a Lambo!
Aha moment for me personally!

Feb 10, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #11,100 of 11,368
yeah, the only thing that came up when looking for M-Way besides magna... built to order, handmade designer stuff, pretty sure won't be "cheap" but how/why should it? couldn't find acss from them...

remember a video from Ocd Mickey where he drove around with a friend/colleague of his... also in building cables... drove in a Lambo!
Aha moment for me personally!
https://magnahifi.com/m-way-acss-ntrl-reference-analogue-balanced-interlink-mini-xlr/

If it is exactly the same as NTRL REF which they called it earlier. It will be top notch match for R1N

Users who are viewing this thread

Back