New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jan 3, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #11,056 of 11,266
I remember one comment in here about the DI20HE smelling burnt, which I also recalled back then

I just bought a brand new Solid State Logic SSL12, it smells exactly the same way - more intense....yeah I am sure it is brand new. It just came out the oven bro!

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #11,057 of 11,266
Hello all - I am using a Bluesound Node X as a streamer via USB. I am also using a Shanling ET3 cd transport by AES. The problem is the same with both sources.

Both these sources sound fine into a Matrix DAC that I have (the DAC I had before this).

I think based on these responses this is not supposed to happen and I will send it back for review,

I see that you are changing from a Matrix DAC to the R7HE3. Which Matrix DAC did you own?

I am currently using a Matrix X-Sabre Pro and curious how it compares to the R7HE3 in terms of sound.

It all started a few weeks ago when I was looking for DDC. First the Singxer SU-6 thread, then to Denafrips Hermes, then a fellow member led me to DI-20HE and now I'm deep into the AGD rabbit hole and contemplating getting an R2R DAC from them.

Jan 13, 2024 at 6:06 AM Post #11,058 of 11,266
I see that you are changing from a Matrix DAC to the R7HE3. Which Matrix DAC did you own?

I am currently using a Matrix X-Sabre Pro and curious how it compares to the R7HE3 in terms of sound.

It all started a few weeks ago when I was looking for DDC. First the Singxer SU-6 thread, then to Denafrips Hermes, then a fellow member led me to DI-20HE and now I'm deep into the AGD rabbit hole and contemplating getting an R2R DAC from them.

I was using the Matrix X-Sabre (a relatively old DAC), I also previously had a Benchmark DAC. My personal experience of this Audio-GD DAC since I fixed the -6dB issue on my pre-amp is that produces this great BIG sound that I'm still trying to control and manage through the rest of my system and my listening space. The bass is great and I am hearing stuff in classical/instrumental music that I was was not getting on vinyl and on previous digital sources. There is great sound staging (width and depth). Instruments sound real.

I'm still struggling with one aspect of the sound - it's a bit thick or 'boomy' and not a relaxed sound. But I realised that the vendor who sold me the DAC actually addressed the issue in an email to me while we were trying to solve the scratching/cracking issue. I think I need to change the position of my speakers (which are about 30 cm from the rear wall). This email also discusses a vendor's opinion about the differences between a Matrix DAC and an Audio-DG DAC. For my part, the other night I plugged in the Matrix DAC and realised the sound of the R7HE3 is substantially superior even though I'm not yet happy with the sound in my room.

Screen Shot 2024-01-13 at 10.02.18 pm.png

Hope this helps.

Jan 13, 2024 at 6:18 AM Post #11,059 of 11,266
I was using the Matrix X-Sabre (a relatively old DAC), I also previously had a Benchmark DAC. My personal experience of this Audio-GD DAC since I fixed the -6dB issue on my pre-amp is that produces this great BIG sound that I'm still trying to control and manage through the rest of my system and my listening space. The bass is great and I am hearing stuff in classical/instrumental music that I was was not getting on vinyl and on previous digital sources. There is great sound staging (width and depth). Instruments sound real.

I'm still struggling with one aspect of the sound - it's a bit thick or 'boomy' and not a relaxed sound. But I realised that the vendor who sold me the DAC actually addressed the issue in an email to me while we were trying to solve the scratching/cracking issue. I think I need to change the position of my speakers (which are about 30 cm from the rear wall). This email also discusses a vendor's opinion about the differences between a Matrix DAC and an Audio-DG DAC. For my part, the other night I plugged in the Matrix DAC and realised the sound of the R7HE3 is substantially superior even though I'm not yet happy with the sound in my room.

Hope this helps.
“Airy” cables.

Try experiment with the cheap pure silver ones like AVplay from aliexpress. I2S cable. They also have pure silver USB cable.

Also pure silver ACSS cables like the Robertson from Australia. Very cheap for the performance.

I have both the R1N and R8H2. The R8H2 seems to need a more “airy” setup(digital silver cables) than the R1N which is opposite. Copper, copper tinplated(digital cables).

—-

The DI20HE will open up the sound and separate instruments and elements more, and give a ”3D experience”

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 6:39 AM Post #11,060 of 11,266

Hope this helps.
Speaker placement of course. The speakers themselves must not be too big for the room and as OCC7N says, well balanced cables are indicated, especially, without bass emphasis. I can recommend Nimak.

Jan 13, 2024 at 10:15 AM Post #11,061 of 11,266

Hope this helps.
I also think it's an acoustic problem and maybe the R7HE needs more burning time.

One thing you will notice, as it burns and you improve the source quality, is a more powerful and defined bass. So I think you should look into bass modes in the room.

Jan 13, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #11,062 of 11,266
I also think it's an acoustic problem and maybe the R7HE needs more burning time.

One thing you will notice, as it burns and you improve the source quality, is a more powerful and defined bass. So I think you should look into bass modes in the room.
Indeed, more time could be needed. There is a phase when the bass becomes exaggerated.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 10:22 PM Post #11,063 of 11,266
Have not been listening to R8H2 and D20H for a long time 4 months atleast. Mostly the R1N(solo) and with the bridges PF I2S Bridge/SPDIF-3, while my DI20HE was at my friends house.

(2 minutes in, DI20HE brings a black background that is instantly so silent I thought my headphones were not plugged in, or the youtube video was on mute.)

It literally makes my R1N sound like a bigger dac.

The ambient information are more pronounced and the harshness is "rounded" nicely on the kicks and snares.

----

I encourage any DI20HE owner to shut it off for a while and try it again after a month or two.

Even though it adds color/details, it feels more rhythmic/music because of the ambient engagement.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 10:41 PM Post #11,064 of 11,266
Have not been listening to R8H2 and D20H for a long time 4 months atleast. Mostly the R1N(solo) and DDC/SPDIF3, while my DI20HE was at my friends house.

(2 minutes in, DI20HE brings a black background that is instantly so silent I thought my headphones were not plugged in, or the youtube video was on mute.)

It literally makes my R1N sound like a bigger dac.

The ambient information are more pronounced and the harshness is "rounded" nicely on the kicks and snares.

----

I encourage any DI20HE owner to shut it off for a while and try it again after a month or two.

Even though it adds color/details, it feels more rhythmic/music because of the ambient engagement.
Idk what to think of my R1N currently. I've been using it to feed my tube amp for a month and I recently purchased some other options for testing, AUNE S9c and Bryston BDA-2 (dual ES9068A and dual AK4399). The R1N beats them both in its black background, richness, and "r2r sound" but that's about it. The Aune has the best clarity and soundstage of the three but its too forward with its detail on a lot of music, becoming harsh. The Bryston to me has the best presentation with a laid back sound stage and analytical yet relaxing imaging and separation. I find that I don't love any of them. The Bryston would be the easiest to keep since its the most palpable to the ear but its also lacking the black background and richness that is so addicting with the Audio-GD. Could other non-NOS DAC's from Audio-GD be the key? R1N + Tubes is way too hot/forward of a sound for me.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 11:13 PM Post #11,065 of 11,266
Idk what to think of my R1N currently. I've been using it to feed my tube amp for a month and I recently purchased some other options for testing, AUNE S9c and Bryston BDA-1 (dual ES9068A and dual AK4399). The R1N beats them both in its black background, richness, and "r2r sound" but that's about it. The Aune has the best clarity and soundstage of the three but its too forward with its detail on a lot of music, becoming harsh. The Bryston to me has the best presentation with a laid back sound stage and analytical yet relaxing imaging and separation. I find that I don't love any of them. The Bryston would be the easiest to keep since its the most palpable to the ear but its also lacking the black background and richness that is so addicting with the Audio-GD. Could other non-NOS DAC's from Audio-GD be the key? R1N + Tubes is way too hot/forward of a sound for me.
Get a used DI20HE for the R1N. Seriously. It takes the signal and process it in a way you will be surprised. Much more balanced and levelled sound.

SPDIF3 is also a very good upgrade to the R1N. This DDC also surprised me, it can be found even cheaper used. However this DDC is very neutral and too honest. So honest you can hear the difference between cables more easily. Underrated DDC.

DI20HE is like it takes your DAC and turns it into the real studio feel/room, where it is being produced/mastered. The vibe, the processing, this is not a DDC imo.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #11,066 of 11,266
I am sure this has been asked and answered prior but I am looking for opinions to why. I am using the LHY OCK-2 clock with my RS130 (transport streamer) and Audio-GD R7HEMk3 (DAC) both connected via 50ohm BNC. I started off with Square wave and have not tried Sine Wave until today. To my surprise Sine sounds better and my question is why. I thought Square wave was superior to Sine. I am no engineer so my assumptions could be wildly off. Any insight would be appreciated.

Jan 15, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #11,067 of 11,266
I am sure this has been asked and answered prior but I am looking for opinions to why. I am using the LHY OCK-2 clock with my RS130 (transport streamer) and Audio-GD R7HEMk3 (DAC) both connected via 50ohm BNC. I started off with Square wave and have not tried Sine Wave until today. To my surprise Sine sounds better and my question is why. I thought Square wave was superior to Sine. I am no engineer so my assumptions could be wildly off. Any insight would be appreciated.
To make the square superior, you need a very good cable. Otherwise, the sine could indeed perform better. Also, you need to make sure the proper impedance is selected inside the ock2. Using a sine would not penalize sound quality when there is an impedance mismatch.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #11,068 of 11,266
To make the square superior, you need a very good cable. Otherwise, the sine could indeed perform better. Also, you need to make sure the proper impedance is selected inside the ock2. Using a sine would not penalize sound quality when there is an impedance mismatch.
Interesting. I am using the $79 cables from the group who sells the LHY-OCK2 directly. I assume it is just an average cable but I could be wrong.

Jan 15, 2024 at 10:00 PM Post #11,070 of 11,266
Interesting. I am using the $79 cables from the group who sells the LHY-OCK2 directly. I assume it is just an average cable but I could be wrong.
Possibly/likely an RG402 cable. Looks just like it. I understand that Cybershaft was also using an RG402 for their 50ohm cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back