New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Nov 4, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #10,951 of 11,260
Hi, can anyone tell me the difference between the R-8HE MK3 and R-7HE MK3? I see that the R-7 is larger, more expensive etc. Has anyone heard both?
If you have the budget you should go for R7H3. Saying this knowing that my R8H2 is beyond my endgame.

Buuut. Would I say take the D20H and R8H3 over the R7H3, knowing what i know now between R1N and R8H2....yes! - take the D20H and R8H3 over it. However if you are really into HiFi you will get the extra %s with the R7H3 and D20H.

There is a difference between R1N and R8H2, and you will notice the difference between R8H3 vs R7H3 also because of the better power design etc. But will it beat R8H3 and D20H alone? - I don´t think so.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 6:32 AM Post #10,952 of 11,260
Experience only goes for R1N, for now...Silver vs Copper ACSS.

So I found out where most of my fatigue came from when listening to the R1N, first it was the upper low-end was very lean, but smoothened out(500+ hours), I still had some issues mid-high, some sort metal kinda coating that was harder for my ears - It was a silver cable ACSS.

Then I switched to Magnahifi: MWAY NTRL REF ACSS, I think it is copper.
I have to say this, Magnahifi knows what they are doing, the MWAY NTRL REF ACSS is nothing but amazing on the R1N. It changed the whole ambience, even closer to the musicians, the dark background I have been waiting for I have on the R8H2 is here!

I can not believe how ACSS input is soo sensitive to changes of cables!

Im definitly recommending the MWAY!

The sound is much more cosy, and in company with the music!

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #10,953 of 11,260
Experience only goes for R1N, for now...Silver vs Copper ACSS.

So I found out where most of my fatigue came from when listening to the R1N, first it was the upper low-end was very lean, but smoothened out(500+ hours), I still had some issues mid-high, some sort metal kinda coating that was harder for my ears - It was a silver cable ACSS.

Then I switched to Magnahifi: MWAY NTRL REF ACSS, I think it is copper.
I have to say this, Magnahifi knows what they are doing, the MWAY NTRL REF ACSS is nothing but amazing on the R1N. It changed the whole ambience, even closer to the musicians, the dark background I have been waiting for I have on the R8H2 is here!

I can not believe how ACSS input is soo sensitive to changes of cables!

Im definitly recommending the MWAY!

The sound is much more cosy, and in company with the music!
I'm glad you like them. They are very good.

I have a 1m MWAY REF ACSS for sale because I change the system layout and now I use a 2.5m long ACSS cable. I sell my MWAY REF ACSS at 50% of it's retail price. If anyone is interested, can send me a PM.

Nov 5, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #10,954 of 11,260
I'm glad you like them. They are very good.

I have a 1m MWAY REF ACSS for sale because I change the system layout and now I use a 2.5m long ACSS cable. I sell my MWAY REF ACSS at 50% of it's retail price. If anyone is interested, can send me a PM.
I wish I could buy them from you because I want a connection from my HE9LE to Audio-gd A1, which I am interesting in buying.

The HE-9 LE has the big ACSS output, and the A1 has the small ACSS input. I want to use my HE9 LE as preamp.

I am big fan of active speakers, but I can not ignore the A1, I must try it someday and compare it vs some active speakers vs ATC passive ones.

----

Has anybody experience with the Audio-gd A1 power amp?

Nov 5, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #10,955 of 11,260
I have a pair of Precision 3S amps in bridged mode. The A1 is virtually the same as two P3s.

For the money, they're seriously impressive. Until I can afford either the HE-2 MK2s, or an Ayre VX-5 Twenty, they are doing a perfectly fine job of powering my custom Fidelity Acoustics RFM-1 monitors (dual per channel; one is inverted with the mid-woofer only), comprised of Scan Speak Revelator woofers and Illuminator Be tweeters, plus Mundorf EVO Supreme Ag/Au/Oil capacitors. I know that I'm not hearing the best of what the speakers can produce, but there's nothing obviously lacking either. The amps do a great job with the 4 ohm load as well.

Nov 5, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #10,956 of 11,260
I have a pair of Precision 3S amps in bridged mode. The A1 is virtually the same as two P3s.

For the money, they're seriously impressive. Until I can afford either the HE-2 MK2s, or an Ayre VX-5 Twenty, they are doing a perfectly fine job of powering my custom Fidelity Acoustics RFM-1 monitors (dual per channel; one is inverted with the mid-woofer only), comprised of Scan Speak Revelator woofers and Illuminator Be tweeters, plus Mundorf EVO Supreme Ag/Au/Oil capacitors. I know that I'm not hearing the best of what the speakers can produce, but there's nothing obviously lacking either. The amps do a great job with the 4 ohm load as well.
Oohh yeah, those look nice and same dimensions as my R1N in width!

However I could also consider the Master 9P which @gimmeheadroom mentioned earlier in this thread.

Could be the a great amp for Susvara(6W*2 @ 100 ohm) but also speakers. Two in one = less space :sweat_smile:

Nov 25, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #10,958 of 11,260
Hi guys
I've been trying the Concentus Tubulus I2S cable vs the Aliexpress (I think it's called here AV Play) one. Both pure silver HDMI cables, but the first costing around ten times the second.

The differences are not huge, but easy to detect, mostly in imaging, air and dynamics. As everything in this hobbie, the damn law of diminishing returns! That damn little extra SQ that costs very expensive!

I would recomend the Tubulus for those who have the budget, very good digital rig and want the best SQ possible. Otherwise, the AV Play is great for the money.

Thanks Fred for recomend it.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #10,959 of 11,260
Hi guys
I've been trying the Concentus Tubulus I2S cable vs the Aliexpress (I think it's called here AV Play) one. Both pure silver HDMI cables, but the first costing around ten times the second.

The differences are not huge, but easy to detect, mostly in imaging, air and dynamics. As everything in this hobbie, the damn law of diminishing returns! That damn little extra SQ that costs very expensive!

I would recomend the Tubulus for those who have the budget, very good digital rig and want the best SQ possible. Otherwise, the AV Play is great for the money.

Thanks Fred for recomend it.
How many hours do you have on it? In my setup,. I would the difference is rather big. But I made so many AC optimization, plus I added grounding boxes. Grounding the dac through rca's neutral contact , not the the center one as some ali sellers have, makes a difference. Try a grounding tube and install a solder free rca to it. You'll see.

I think that what makes the Tubulus i2s sound so good in my setup is that it is a noise-free cable. I see no other explanation. So the more silent things are in the first place, the biggest the impact of the Concentus will have.

Nov 25, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #10,960 of 11,260
How many hours do you have on it? In my setup,. I would the difference is rather big. But I made so many AC optimization, plus I added grounding boxes. Grounding the dac through rca's neutral contact , not the the center one as some ali sellers have, makes a difference. Try a grounding tube and install a solder free rca to it. You'll see.

I think that what makes the Tubulus i2s sound so good in my setup is that it is a noise-free cable. I see no other explanation. So the more silent things are in the first place, the biggest the impact of the Concentus will have.
Yes, I was about to mention that the Tubulus has only few hours playing, about 25/30. I'm sure it will improve with time.

I have a ground box on the RCA plugs of my HE-7 and to be honest, I don't think it makes a big difference. I have to try it again.

I also have a very well treated AC Line and one of the things that makes a big difference on the DAC and the clock is the Ali Furukawa cable/filters.

IMG_20231125_220930676_HDR.jpg

Nov 25, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #10,961 of 11,260
Yes, I was about to mention that the Tubulus has only few hours playing, about 25/30. I'm sure it will improve with time.

I have a ground box on the RCA plugs of my HE-7 and to be honest, I don't think it makes a big difference. I have to try it again.

I also have a very well treated AC Line and one of the things that makes a big difference on the DAC and the clock is the Ali Furukawa cable/filters.

IMG_20231125_220930676_HDR.jpg
Ok. The Concentus sounds just OK during the first few days. Be patient. :)

These boxes take time to produce an effect according to the description. The effect (downgrade) is supposed to be obvious when disconnecting. The tubes produce an immediat effect in my experience. Cables have a big influence on the results too.

The theory beind says they are based on the piezoelectric effect. So, if neutral is not perfectly quiet, the box is supposed to absorb the corresponding energy. For it to work, the cable needs to be able to transport the frequencies. For a dac, your need to be able to transport very high freq, because this is what affects the most it's performance and this is the kind of self noise you will find on the pcb. So to ground a dac's pcb, choose a cable that is good for high-freq transmission. Ideally a well shielded cable, but this is my own opinion. Others may disagree. I make my cable with bulk cable from Xangsane, these days. I make sure to not connect the shield to the connectors. Otherwise, the noise that it catches will contaminate the pcb.

Nov 25, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #10,962 of 11,260
Funny cause I just made two grounding cable out of 4-conductor Xangsane pure silver bulk cable. It made my setup sound brighter. Now, i am waiting for the burn-in to complete. So the story on grounding is not simple. Cables matter there too. Such is life in the audio jungle. :)

Nov 28, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #10,963 of 11,260

Another Tubulus Concentus i2s cable report, mine has arrived yesterday. 50 cm.
Comparing to AVplay the Concentus is better in every aspect, without burning in.
More resolving, more air and better instrument separation. The bass is fuller and deeper.
The midrange is more complex, more sound can be hear separetly.

It's difficult to word how much better than AVplay. But the Tubulus is raw cable and after the burning time the difference will be huger.
Anyway I'm very statisfied, this cable raise the Audio-Gd chain into higher level. :relaxed:

Nov 28, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #10,964 of 11,260
Pink Faun I2S cable here on Pink Faun I2S Bridge.

I can recommend this for owners who wants more warm and analog sound.

It pairs really well with R1N + HE400SE(hybrid cable)

(I was not expecting R1N to break in that much that I would like this headphone on it)

—-

The I2S cable started improving after the recommended break-in hours 500.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #10,965 of 11,260
Another Tubulus Concentus i2s cable report, mine has arrived yesterday. 50 cm.
Comparing to AVplay the Concentus is better in every aspect, without burning in.
More resolving, more air and better instrument separation. The bass is fuller and deeper.
The midrange is more complex, more sound can be hear separetly.

It's difficult to word how much better than AVplay. But the Tubulus is raw cable and after the burning time the difference will be huger.
Anyway I'm very statisfied, this cable raise the Audio-Gd chain into higher level. :relaxed:
The clock cable is also wonderful.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back