New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Oct 22, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #10,876 of 11,368
Newbie question, I am trying to figure out the best i2s cable without breaking the bank. I tried the AQ pearl and liked it and it reduced the "POP," I was getting from my prior i2s cable from Gustard. I think the Gustard cable was too heavy and not sitting perfectly in the i2s port of the Audio-GD, so with that being said I quickly jumped up to the Forrest at twice the cost of the Pearl and the pop was reduced even further. I can't explain why but happy with the outcome with the decreased pops. Now my next question is I can get a new in box legacy AQ chocolate that contains a bit more silver in the construction vs the Forrest, only problem it is the version that is HDMI 2.0 @ 18Gbps vs the Forrest which is 48Gbps. What is more important more silver or greater bandwidths.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #10,877 of 11,368
Newbie question, I am trying to figure out the best i2s cable without breaking the bank. I tried the AQ pearl and liked it and it reduced the "POP," I was getting from my prior i2s cable from Gustard. I think the Gustard cable was too heavy and not sitting perfectly in the i2s port of the Audio-GD, so with that being said I quickly jumped up to the Forrest at twice the cost of the Pearl and the pop was reduced even further. I can't explain why but happy with the outcome with the decreased pops. Now my next question is I can get a new in box legacy AQ chocolate that contains a bit more silver in the construction vs the Forrest, only problem it is the version that is HDMI 2.0 @ 18Gbps vs the Forrest which is 48Gbps. What is more important more silver or greater bandwidths.
If you can find a good tech to assemble it, a piece of Xangsane pure silver ethernet cable mounted with hdmi connectors could be the best under 150$. This would mean an i2s cable custom-made for audio-gd. Only 3 pairs of wires are needed. You can add a fourth one for the word clock but the dac won't actually use it.

Oct 22, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #10,878 of 11,368
If you can find a good tech to assemble it, a piece of Xangsane pure silver ethernet cable mounted with hdmi connectors could be the best under 150$. This would mean an i2s cable custom-made for audio-gd. Only 3 pairs of wires are needed. You can add a fourth one for the word clock but the dac won't actually use it.
Thanks for the suggestion. What are you thoughts on the two options I have. Stick with the HDMI 2.1 48Gbps .5% silver Forrest or the HDMI 2.0 18Gbps 2.50% silver Chocolate?

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #10,879 of 11,368
Thanks for the suggestion. What are you thoughts on the two options I have. Stick with the HDMI 2.1 48Gbps .5% silver Forrest or the HDMI 2.0 18Gbps 1.25% silver Cinnamon?
No idea. I have had the Gustard and the avplay before. But I bought the Concentus since. It is over 600$ but worth every penny. The 2 others can't compare.

Oct 22, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #10,880 of 11,368
Try Wireworld Ultraviolet. It seems to be a well-built cable of good materials and is not expensive.

Note, it is directional and needs a gentle radius when bending. In many cases you need one a fair bit longer than you might expect, especially if you have to twist the cable like we do for our R8s.

Oct 23, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #10,881 of 11,368
Thanks for the suggestion. What are you thoughts on the two options I have. Stick with the HDMI 2.1 48Gbps .5% silver Forrest or the HDMI 2.0 18Gbps 2.50% silver Chocolate?
You could consider Audiolund (Singapore), f.i.
https://audiolund.com/shop/xtreme-series-hdmi-i2s-av-cable/

or Phasure (The Netherlands):
https://stordiau.com/collections/cables-and-more-snakes-oil/products/hdmi-2-i2s-cable

I have these, and find them both so good that I did not yet feel the urge to try the Tubulus Concentus.

Oct 24, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #10,882 of 11,368
If you like Silver, I would say: The Concentus (The best I2S / Bettered the Original AQ Firebird HDMI) or that cheap Solid silver Av Play ... Less expensive AQ cables not worth it IMHO.

Oct 25, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #10,883 of 11,368
MKIII enclosures do look and feel so much better than old ones. My previous R2R-2 felt like a DIY unit. Those days are gone fortunately. :slight_smile:

1698219314898 (Grande).jpg
1698219373844 (Grande).jpg

Apologies for the bad pictures.

Oct 26, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #10,884 of 11,368
R-1 NOS(500+ hours) vs R-8HEmk2

These two are so different not worth comparing them anymore.

R1N brings the instruments closer, as more narrowed, monoish feel. It does not have the technicalities of the R8H2 separation and placement/pannings of instruments.

But the bass, kick and snares on the R1N wins me over in simple band music, it makes meaning of the technicalities and separations disappear when this dac does it right.

The bass is now floating in the whole stereo image creating this authentic live/vibe/ambient sound. It is more softer and visibly deeper. I´m surprised the R1N still manages to separate in the manner you can hear all layers even if they are 1mm close to each other.

Where it loose is with the EDM/Dance/Trance and genres with big arrangements of instruments, where it comes out like a toy sometimes, this is where the R8H2 comes in with authority and plays everything with such and ease it almost falls asleep...piece of cake.

Im not over the honeymoon experience with the R1N.

The soundstage on the R1N feels more intimate, like standing on the stage with the band playing.

-----

I was on my downsize journey and Im getting closure even if I want to keep both dacs for now. I am awaiting 1000-2000hours before I connect the Di20HE to the R-1N.

Im assuming the R1N + DI20HE will beat the R8H2 to my liking.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #10,885 of 11,368
When I start my dac up for the day from being powered off the screen takes about 5 seconds to turn on after I push the button in and then the display flashes to what appears to be the model number of the DAC and the current firmware and then settles on the main screen as normal. Does this sound about right that it takes so long from the time I pressed the power button for anything on the screen to appear?

Oct 26, 2023 at 9:52 PM Post #10,886 of 11,368
When I start my dac up for the day from being powered off the screen takes about 5 seconds to turn on after I push the button in and then the display flashes to what appears to be the model number of the DAC and the current firmware and then settles on the main screen as normal. Does this sound about right that it takes so long from the time I pressed the power button for anything on the screen to appear?
Yes.. Absolutly. All He gears do this. The power generator uses a self-diagnostic before sending the power.

Oct 26, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #10,887 of 11,368
Yes.. Absolutly. All He gears do this. The power generator uses a self-diagnostic before sending the power.
Thanks Fred, you are the best!

Oct 26, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #10,889 of 11,368
No problem. :)
BTW LHY OCK-2 is arriving Monday. I will provide impression shortly thereafter. Thanks to this group for all the input on getting me here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back