New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Aug 5, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #10,531 of 11,304
With unbalanced output.
Perfect for Susvara :sweat_smile:

EDIT: Susvara is dedicated to AGD...gaming I need to try lower ohms and higher sensitivity. But fixed mode on the Solaris will output to HE9

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #10,533 of 11,304
Aug 5, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #10,534 of 11,304
Hi @OCC7N ,
Keep your DI-20HE for it.
Golden Sound measured the Solaris, and recommends using its AES input for lower jitter rather than USB.

Aug 5, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #10,535 of 11,304
Hi @OCC7N ,
Keep your DI-20HE for it.
Golden Sound measured the Solaris, and recommends using its AES input for lower jitter rather than USB.
Please don´t ever "attempt" to measure my taste!.....I kept it short, regarding meh meeh surements!

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #10,536 of 11,304
I never buy anything based on measurement
I reported what his measurements say to make you try the Solaris with your DI-20HE.
You don't need to buy it, because you have it already.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 9:52 PM Post #10,537 of 11,304
I won't go too in-depth, but I originally had a Schiit Bifrost 2 which I sold to move to a DAC that had dual ES9038PRO chips. I found that the ES DAC was a more neutral, the bass was snappier but not as textured, and the music felt a bit more flat and 2-dimensional. I then decided that I wanted to move back to R2R and since I loved my Audio-Gd Master 19 at the time, I decided to buy the R-8HE MK3 and I haven't looked back since. It definitely added more depth to the soundstage and the textured bass that I missed was back. That's not to say that I believe that an R2R DAC is objectively better than a D/S DAC, but the qualities that R2R has better fits how I like to listen to my music.

On a side note, the NOS capability on Audio-Gd DACs is a really nice feature. I really like experimenting between NOS and x8 OS. If you have multiple amps and/or headphones it really helps in shaping the sound of the music to your preference. I also like to use specific settings for different music (x8 for modern rock and metal and NOS for classic rock).
Thanks for that. If I may ask a follow up question - did you use the ACSS connection with your R-8HE and if so, did it make a noticeable/worthwhile difference? Despite reportedly measuring poorly, I’m loving the textured sound the Master 19 accentuates when paired with the Ares II and bc of this, I’m considering an AGD r2r dac. It’s apparent based on your post that we value similar traits wrt to listening preferences and therefore would value your input on this. Thanks in advance.

Aug 5, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #10,538 of 11,304
Thanks for that. If I may ask a follow up question - did you use the ACSS connection with your R-8HE and if so, did it make a noticeable/worthwhile difference? Despite reportedly measuring poorly, I’m loving the textured sound the Master 19 accentuates when paired with the Ares II and bc of this, I’m considering an AGD r2r dac. It’s apparent based on your post that we value similar traits wrt to listening preferences and therefore would value your input on this. Thanks in advance.
So when I bought my R-8HE I actually had moved on to a GS-X Mini from my Master 19, so I didn't get a chance to try ACSS. I'm now on a Flux Volot and hoping in the future to move to an HE-9 MK3, but still no experience in regards to ACSS (although I would like to). I would assume that quiet sections of music would have an even blacker background with ACSS, but all I can do is speculate.

On a side note, after having owned both and drawing on memory as much as I can, I can say that the Master 19 was either on par or outperformed my GS-X Mini.

Aug 7, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #10,539 of 11,304
If I may ask a follow up question - did you use the ACSS connection with your R-8HE and if so, did it make a noticeable/worthwhile difference?
ACSS connection is the best one with AGD gear.. it beats all the rest of the connections even with the stock inexpensive AGD copper ACSS cables.. To get the best sound though, you will need silver cables of decent quality (the sound becomes even more detailed and liquid / saturated). Try and you will not regret.. At least I didn't..)

My 5c..

Aug 7, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #10,540 of 11,304
I am doing some test between deltasigma DACs on RCA/XLR input(HE9LE) vs R8HEmk2(ACSS - reference point).

Interesting no matter how much Im trying to volume match, the R8HEmk2/ACSS is just better(to my preference) and I never manage to set it right! even though it feels the same.

Using ACSS vs RCA/XLR feels like cheating, blind test is not enough!

_

I searched for the synonyms for DI20HE in google and I got these results:
ether, cosmos, firmament, paradise, sky, and celestial

Seems close to what I think it is to the music...

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #10,541 of 11,304
I am doing some test between dS DACs on RCA/XLR input(HE9LE) vs R8HEmk2(ACSS - reference point).

Interesting no matter how much Im trying to volume match, the R8HEmk2/ACSS is just better(to my preference) and I never manage to set it right! even though it feels the same.

_

Using acss to compare to RCA/ xlr is absolutely cheating.

:)

Aug 7, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #10,542 of 11,304
Thanks to everyone who chimed in wrt ACSS connection. I recently acquired several midfi equipment over the past 7 months (rme-adi2 dac, burson soloist 3x w/ super charger, Master 19, and liquid platinum) and aresII feeding master 19 is my favorite sound by far.

The interesting thing is that my favorite headphone is hifiman he6sev2 except when using the master 19; in this case, I always reach for the Arya v2. The master 19 gives texture to upper frequencies such that cymbals hits feel like the band is playing nearby.

When listening with he6v2, the Master 19 sound is very similar to the liquid platinum but with extended/refined highs and tighter bass. It required the Arya to really showcase what master 19 can do (esp in treble) and now, it has 1) made me regret getting the master 19 instead of the higher product line, 2) itching to get all AGD chain to take advantage of the ACSS, and 3) contemplating getting a hekv2 for that elevated Arya v2 experience.

Fortunately, it’s been a very busy year so I hadn’t had time to decide on my upgrade path that’ll surely burn a hole in my wallet but I’m now a true fan now of AGD products. Such a shame that “measurements” likely prevented many would be buyers from this brand.

Aug 7, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #10,543 of 11,304
I am doing some test between dS DACs on RCA/XLR input(HE9LE) vs R8HEmk2(ACSS - reference point).

_

Soon (hopefully) I will try The Triple crown XLR clone VS Nimak 5 ACSS ...

Aug 8, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #10,544 of 11,304
Soon (hopefully) I will try The Triple crown XLR clone VS Nimak 5 ACSS ...
Thats gonna be very interesting! My money is on Nimak😊

Thanks to everyone who chimed in wrt ACSS connection. I recently acquired several midfi equipment over the past 7 months (rme-adi2 dac, burson soloist 3x w/ super charger, Master 19, and liquid platinum) and aresII feeding master 19 is my favorite sound by far.

The interesting thing is that my favorite headphone is hifiman he6sev2 except when using the master 19; in this case, I always reach for the Arya v2
. The master 19 gives texture to upper frequencies such that cymbals hits feel like the band is playing nearby.
I have not tried HE6SEV2(will buy it) but I know Arya V2 really good, and I understand what you mean. In the upper high frequencies Arya does something different: the reverb decays/reflections are visible/easy to hear.

AGD headamps are very revealing, it is the sound of source and DAC coming through.

All the old HE headphones have another character than the later ones: Sundara, Arya etc.

I would have liked to hear that pairing Ares & Arya. My assumption is it will push a full body into Arya.

…then I upgraded the source and it became the most unforgiving output, only Susvara could not be tamed. Aryas character came through and I can not unhear it anymore. Im not gonna say what it is, because it made me sell the Aryas over the HE400SE…

Damn it! Im gonna say it. Tones/Instruments on my AryaV2 sounded half-assed. Not full length like HE400SE, but faded away.

I think you will be amazed as soon as you makes some changes in the chain for HE6SEV2 - even though I have never heard it, Im gonna sell my HE1000V2 for it!

___
EDIT: 09.08.23
@NascentAP
After a experiment with Saturation plugin on AryaV2, it became a more full/longer(in tones and instruments) similar like the HE400SE, but more soundstage ofcourse. I cancelled the sale(bought back)
This headphone is formless it just love good VST care!

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #10,545 of 11,304
Please don´t ever "attempt" to measure my taste!.....I kept it short, I hate everything about that individual regarding meh meeh surements!
Including his video on how manufacturers use measurements to deceive people? Have you actually seen any of his reviews, or did you just see the analyser and react?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back