New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jul 14, 2023 at 4:50 AM Post #10,472 of 11,266
maybe latest revision...anyway as far as I remember my custom firmware allows use USB as output...
di20he has clock input so I can use mine aune for both - DDC and DAC.... Rockna net has no clock...
maybe not a bad idea about di20he... but less boxes on table is better )
I forgot to tell you that the authority in the separations comes from the external master clock(to DI20HE). My experience, it is more mature sound, less "blurred" more focus, weight, control aand authority.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #10,473 of 11,266
Hello, i am new here. I have an R8 2021 and a pre HE1. I am currently using an Acss AudioGD cable. I haven't read all 700 pages yet. I reached page 500. I would like to change my Acss cable to something better. What would be the best Acss cable you tested? I saw that many praise the Nimak 5 cable. Has something better appeared in the meantime? I'm asking that until I get up to date with this thread, it will probably take a while. Thank you.
PS. I use google translate so errors may still occur

Jul 14, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #10,474 of 11,266
Hello, i am new here. I have an R8 2021 and a pre HE1. I am currently using an Acss AudioGD cable. I haven't read all 700 pages yet. I reached page 500. I would like to change my Acss cable to something better. What would be the best Acss cable you tested? I saw that many praise the Nimak 5 cable. Has something better appeared in the meantime? I'm asking that until I get up to date with this thread, it will probably take a while. Thank you.
I think that Nimak 5 is already very, very good ... After all it’s like no cable at all ... There is this custom Nimak 7 , that would cost X2, but I’m not sure it’s going to make a difference in your setup ... I would rather spend on other interconnect / power cables ... I’m using Nimak 5 on my R7 HE MKII ---> HE1 MKII Pre...

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #10,475 of 11,266
I think that Nimak 5 is already very, very good ... After all it’s like no cable at all ... There is this custom Nimak 7 , that would cost X2, but I’m not sure it’s going to make a difference in your setup ... I would rather spend on other interconnect / power cables ... I’m using Nimak 5 on my R7 HE MKII ---> HE1 MKII Pre...
Thank you for the advice.

Jul 15, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #10,476 of 11,266
I consulted Kingwa with regards to ACSS cables as to whether more expansive cables can bring about any significant improvement upon the AGD ACSS cables. The reply from Kingwa was that due to the specifics of the design, the AGD cables are sufficient and more expansive cables are unlikely to bring any significant improvement.. I tend to trust Kingwa so I left the AGD cables in place and simply stopped bothering.. If anyone fells like challenging the above, kindly share your experience.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #10,477 of 11,266
Well, I will test Kingwa's theory. Between HE1 and Master2H I have a self-made ACSS cable with a length of 2m. I will compare this cable which is a Neotech OCC with Kingwa's cables. The only problem would be that the cables I made are 2m long and Kingwa's are 1m long. If I have time, maybe I will do this tomorrow. I will come back with my opinion on this.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #10,478 of 11,266
Well, I will test Kingwa's theory. Between HE1 and Master2H I have a self-made ACSS cable with a length of 2m. I will compare this cable which is a Neotech OCC with Kingwa's cables. The only problem would be that the cables I made are 2m long and Kingwa's are 1m long. If I have time, maybe I will do this tomorrow. I will come back with my opinion on this.
Probably the difference in length will be ok.

To get into the spirit of things I pitted my Nimak 3 against my Neotech 3002 OCC copper & silver plated /copper XLR interconnect with gold plated connectors. Plus another excellent lesser known XLR cable.

Apples to oranges sort of, ACSS vs XLR.

All were excellent and would be somewhat difficult to tell the difference if I had not been able to just switch cables using the remote control.

The Nimak was more transparent. In some cases with certain tracks the XLR cable did not have the same bass definition compared to the ACSS.

I can also confirm that before I had the Harmonic Technology iii copper clock cable I didn't always like the Nimak in my system. Or the Neotech. Both sound great now.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #10,479 of 11,266
Today I made the comparison between the two cables. I mention that both are ACSS so that there is no confusion in this regard. The conclusion is that the quality of the cable also matters at ACSS. The Neotech sounded clear over Kingwa's cables. I don't want to go into details now, but there are clearly differences between them. So we have the same possibility to tune the sound as we want and depending on the cables. This is good news for sound but also bad news from a financial point of view.:slight_smile:

Jul 16, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #10,481 of 11,266
I consulted Kingwa with regards to ACSS cables as to whether more expansive cables can bring about any significant improvement upon the AGD ACSS cables. The reply from Kingwa was that due to the specifics of the design, the AGD cables are sufficient and more expansive cables are unlikely to bring any significant improvement.. I tend to trust Kingwa so I left the AGD cables in place and simply stopped bothering.. If anyone fells like challenging the above, kindly share your experience.
I have noticed one thing with difference power conditioners on AGD. It does not effect the sound quality much. Even my Torus TOT MAX is for repair and I dont miss it with a simple powerstrip…

Powerdesign is soo good on AGD that for me the only differences in sound quality is the cables.

Jul 16, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #10,483 of 11,266
I've come to the point where my AGD system sound so much to my taste that I'm just very cautious to touch anything whatsoever.. It just sounds right..

I've had the main components in place for more than a year and the sound quality keeps improving anyway.. I find it fascinating..
It's true. And I dislike when audiophiles stick with one well known brand no matter what. And here I am doing the same thing. Sort of.

Jul 16, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #10,484 of 11,266
I have AGD acss and also have Nimak 5 silver acss cable.
The soundstage and 3d imaging are excellent with both cables, but Nimak has much better bass, fuller midrange and silker highs.
The AGD acss is thin and dry compare to Nimak.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back