New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Nov 16, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #9,271 of 11,266
I know, but the ACSS is a better S/PDIF, if I have to sacrifice one, it would be the S/PDIF.

Yeah I would either ask Kingwa to ship me one or see if Magna has them handy. Do you just need a normal DIP puller for the MCU or something else?

This is a stock early unit, has not been modified. I did not understand what you meant- about the RCA jack itself or the leads soldered to the board?
The rca socket leads are soldered. The thermal mass makes this sort of desoldering difficult plus the board needs to be taken out, at least the back of it.
In any case, the fpga fw uses the bnc socket as clock input. You would need to replace to rca by a bnc. An easy solution is to use a bnc to rca cable.
For the mcu, the ideal is to have a tool with a 45-90 degee angle. However, i manage with a small flat screwdriver by lifting on the right and left side progressively, alternating between both.

Nov 16, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #9,272 of 11,266
Thank you, Fred! I want to keep this in mind in case I get a good clock.

Nov 17, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #9,273 of 11,266
Tha "burn-in" ...
IMG_2726.JPG

Nov 17, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #9,274 of 11,266
Tha "burn-in" ...
IMG_2726.JPG
I think what separates us Audio-gd fans from all other audiophiles is very simple. All other audiophiles have all kinds of fancy shelving and their gear is arranged neatly.

Our giant Audio-gd gear goes on desks, tables, stands, etc. We don't have time to play games, we just make room for the best stuff :)

Nov 17, 2022 at 5:21 AM Post #9,275 of 11,266
I think what separates us Audio-gd fans from all other audiophiles is very simple. All other audiophiles have all kinds of fancy shelving and their gear is arranged neatly.

Our giant Audio-gd gear goes on desks, tables, stands, etc. We don't have time to play games, we just make room for the best stuff :)
Made myself the shelves. I think they are fancy, anyway very practical. :relaxed:

Attachments

• agd.jpg
    agd.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 0
Nov 17, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #9,276 of 11,266

1668687567903.png

I think I am ordering this one for my setup(future) Only Audio-gd

Nov 17, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #9,278 of 11,266
Nov 17, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #9,279 of 11,266
Nov 17, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #9,280 of 11,266
Nov 18, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #9,281 of 11,266
Hello. I have a couple of questions which hopefully someone can answer.

Firstly, I am going to use an external clock with my R7 2020 HE. Kingwa sent me a link to the firmware updates list, and there's one called R7-2020_PLL_N. The description says Optimize the external clock connect performance. So this looks like the correct firmware. However when I click on it I get an error page saying HTTP Error 404.0 - Not Found. Is this still the correct firmware, or has it been replaced by R7_2020_N (because that link actually works).

Secondly, up to this point I've been using an SPDIF coax cable between my DI 20HE and the R7 2020 HE. This has been problem-free. However, today I connected a brand new Viablue AES EBU cable between the DI20 and the R7. Unfortunately there were some loud crackles and popping noises coming from my speakers as soon as the DDC and DAC turned on. These persisted until I actually started playing music through my Windows 11 laptop, using Roon (my chain: Windows 11 laptop with Roon -> DI20 via USB cable -> DI20 to R7 via AES/EBU, then R7 to amp via XLR cables). Then the noises disappeared, and the music sounded fine. Does anyone know what is causing this issue? I've run searches on this thread but can't find any info.

Nov 18, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #9,282 of 11,266
I've answered my 2nd question already. I had removed the digital coax cable when I put the new AES one in, and the R7 doesn't like that. When I put the coax cable back in, but still use the AES input with the new Viablue cable in place, then there's no noise.

If anyone has feedback on my 1st question that would be great.

Nov 20, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #9,283 of 11,266
I've answered my 2nd question already. I had removed the digital coax cable when I put the new AES one in, and the R7 doesn't like that. When I put the coax cable back in, but still use the AES input with the new Viablue cable in place, then there's no noise.

I don't understand what you did to resolve it. All outputs from the DI-20/HE are active. But you certainly do not have to them all connected.

You should probably email Kingwa (see the audio-gd site for his email address) and ask your question as clearly and simply as possible. He will likely get back to you very quickly. Alternatively, check the Chinese-language pages of the site (via Chrome browser if you can't read Chinese). The English pages are often incorrect and sometimes broken, while the Chinese pages obviously get more scrutiny.

Nov 20, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #9,284 of 11,266

I have those files.; Try the link below. You will see compressed (.rar) and an uncompressed file directory. Both the same.

If this direct link does not work try copying the URL text and then paste in a web browser.
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=636DC4E8060D66A1!612&cid=636DC4E8060D66A1

Nov 20, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #9,285 of 11,266
I don't understand what you did to resolve it. All outputs from the DI-20/HE are active. But you certainly do not have to them all connected.

I spoke too soon. On just one occasion the presence of the coax cable in both the R7 and the DI20 prevented the noise. But in multiple music sessions since then the noise has reappeared, even with the coax in place. Bizarrely it's an issue until the music starts in Roon. When I stop the music in Roon the clicking / popping from the AES doesn't come back. Anyway, I've emailed Kingwa.

I have those files.; Try the link below. You will see compressed (.rar) and an uncompressed file directory. Both the same.

Does updating to the PLL_N firmware follow the same procedure as this process, which Kingwa sent me?:

http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R8/R8updateEN.htm

I ask because earlier in this thread I've seen some mentions of 'Xilinx' and another process, which seemed to be necessary to implement this firmware on the R7. I didn't understand these things at all, as I don't have a tech background. But if it's just a case of following the process in the link above then that's OK: I've already updated the f/w on my R7 to R7_2020_N.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back