New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Nov 3, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #9,121 of 11,275
I am currently running a Rpi4 w/LPS to a DI20HE and i2s out to a R7HE.
If I replace the Rpi4 with a Lumin U2 mini, would I expect any SQ improvement.
What would be the magnitude of the improvement? I aways think the U2 is based on the same SOC as like the Rpi4.

Nov 3, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #9,122 of 11,275
What would be the magnitude of the improvement? I aways think the U2 is based on the same SOC as like the Rpi4.
Yes. Better focus, details, bass. It is subtle but easy to hear. This is assuming the u1 is as good as the usbridge sig. Using your rpi4b as a pnp node and a second computer as a player would also give a similar improvement. The ultimate is to use the u1 as a upnp node i suppose, if supported. Or Roon node, or airplay node. All these tricks help in lowering noise at the usb out.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #9,123 of 11,275
As Fred had it, 2 RPi (one for server and one for player while your music sit on a NAS/HD file server), would be better than one. Further improvement would be to tune your RPi kernel freq to be mulitples of your music source. Such as 176 for CD source of 44.1. For the purpose of changing the kernel frequency, RPi 4 with 8 GB has a higher core speed. USBSignature is a CM3 core and kernel speed cannot be raised as high. You can also use the PC as the player while using the RPi as server. PC has advantages of getting higher core speed. But RPi has less components to worry about.

Nov 4, 2022 at 3:07 AM Post #9,124 of 11,275
Further improvement would be to tune your RPi kernel freq to be mulitples of your music source. Such as 176 for CD source of 44.1
I’ve been in this world for a long time, I’m a software engineer and experienced Linux developer but I never heard anything like that. I’m genuinely asking , I’m not being pretentious…but how could a change in the frequency affect the playing? In fact i’m not even sure what you are referring to with ‘kernel frequency’. Do you mean the CPU frequency? Feel free to drop me a message if you don’t want to highjack this thread

Nov 4, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #9,125 of 11,275
I’ve been in this world for a long time, I’m a software engineer and experienced Linux developer but I never heard anything like that. I’m genuinely asking , I’m not being pretentious…but how could a change in the frequency affect the playing? In fact i’m not even sure what you are referring to with ‘kernel frequency’. Do you mean the CPU frequency? Feel free to drop me a message if you don’t want to highjack this thread
Not an answer but I understand most (all?) the Pi distros run R/T kernels. Maybe this is about the interrupt frequency?

Nov 5, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #9,127 of 11,275
Any users of R1/2021?

I would like to know the big difference in sound compared to R8HE mk2. I like that the R1 only used 19watt. I have to be a little efficient because my whole system is going up in watts.

Nov 5, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #9,128 of 11,275
Any users of R1/2021?

I have an R2R-11 Mk1 but I don't have it in a very resolving system.

I would like to know the big difference in sound compared to R8HE mk2. I like that the R1 only used 19watt. I have to be a little efficient because my whole system is going up in watts.

That's what your salary is for, keep the utility companies and taxman on wine and cheese :wink:

Anyway, don't do it, buddy. The one thing I learned from buying Audio-gd gear is you can never overpay and you will always regret if you don't buy the highest model you can afford. Ok, maybe that's more than one thing :)

Nov 7, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #9,129 of 11,275
R7 is better.
you have tested them vs each other?

They are not so different in price are they? Do you mean R7 and not R7HE?

Nov 7, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #9,130 of 11,275
you have tested them vs each other?

They are not so different in price are they? Do you mean R7 and not R7HE?
Musician Aquarius MSRP was lil’ bit over R7 ($3,200), but less than R7HE . I bought the R7HE so will find out soon, though I’m sure it will better my Aquarius with 2 SR Purples inside b/c it has 10 Mhz clock input + the regenerator .

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #9,131 of 11,275
Nov 7, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #9,133 of 11,275
Musician Aquarius MSRP was lil’ bit over R7 ($3,200), but less than R7HE . I bought the R7HE so will find out soon, though I’m sure it will better my Aquarius with 2 SR Purples inside b/c it has 10 Mhz clock input + the regenerator .
Im tempted to get the R7HE mk2 also. The company Musician/Denafrips lost my interest as I read into their “confusion” of explaining there relationship.

R8HE mk2 vs R7HE mk2

What is the big difference? I see the same da board.

Nov 7, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #9,134 of 11,275
Im tempted to get the R7HE mk2 also. The company Musician/Denafrips lost my interest as I read into their “confusion” of explaining there relationship.

R8HE mk2 vs R7HE mk2

What is the big difference? I see the same da board.
I got mine from magnahifi.com with the silver upgrade. Awaiting delivery ... IMHO, R7HE mk2 !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back