New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Oct 27, 2022 at 7:43 AM Post #9,106 of 11,266
Alternative path for those cannot download from OneDrive:

Stereophile has uploaded the R7HE Mk2 review - https://www.stereophile.com/content/gramophone-dreams-66-audio-gd-r7he-mk2-da-processor

I'm really glad that Audio-gd is getting some high profile recognition. It's been long enough, and I'm frankly tired of telling people about my Audio-gd gear and having them go 'huh?'.
Yes, it should help Kingwa sell more. And it is so well derserved. Kingwa is a real genius. He has been making great products for over 10 years. Use a great ddc like the di20 to feed one of his older dacs, and you will be stunt. Back then, source jitter would mess up the sound.

Oct 27, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #9,107 of 11,266
Yes, it should help Kingwa sell more. And it is so well derserved. Kingwa is a real genius. He has been making great products for over 10 years. Use a great ddc like the di20 to feed one of his older dacs, and you will be stunt. Back then, source jitter would mess up the sound.

When he started using the Amanero asynchronous USB interface it remedied that quite a bit. Now with some due diligence on USB cable spec and source computer, there's nothing lacking in the USB input.

But yeah, I agree, it takes a genius to design and build a proprietary discrete R2R DAC implementation that performs so well. I would love to see how the R7-HE Mk2 stacks up against the heavyweights, MSB and DCS.

What audio-gd now needs is a modern website and online ordering system....make it happen Kingwa!

Oct 27, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #9,108 of 11,266
Hi-
I'm thinking about purchasing an R7HE Mk2. I know that several of you work with Magna - has anyone been able to compare their modded version of the R7HE Mk2 vs a stock model? It doesn't cost that much, but I want to see if their description of improvements (below) are accurate.

From Magna: Technically we upgrade the R2R capacitors to special ultra low ESR versions instead of the Nover caps that are very good for analogue but less with digital purpose and we replace the internal wiring with silver solid core carbon isolated wiring! After the modification the R2R DAC sounds cleaner; and the edges will become softer, with a better outlined and more spacious sound image.

BTW, what's the best way to reach Kingwa? I sent an inquiry using the email address on the website yesterday asking about this and haven't heard back. Thanks.

Oct 27, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #9,109 of 11,266
Hi-
I'm thinking about purchasing an R7HE Mk2. I know that several of you work with Magna - has anyone been able to compare their modded version of the R7HE Mk2 vs a stock model? It doesn't cost that much, but I want to see if their description of improvements (below) are accurate.

From Magna: Technically we upgrade the R2R capacitors to special ultra low ESR versions instead of the Nover caps that are very good for analogue but less with digital purpose and we replace the internal wiring with silver solid core carbon isolated wiring! After the modification the R2R DAC sounds cleaner; and the edges will become softer, with a better outlined and more spacious sound image.

BTW, what's the best way to reach Kingwa? I sent an inquiry using the email address on the website yesterday asking about this and haven't heard back. Thanks.
Thanks a lot !

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #9,110 of 11,266
Hi-

Hi :)

I doubt if the difference would be audible. Magna is definitely a trustworthy shop and an official distributor for Audio-gd and I personally have good experience with them. I think when you get their upgrades you're getting some better components and maybe a 2nd pair of eyes. Kingwa used to offer various upgrades but he does that less and less, so there is room for his distributors and partners to jump in for people who want it.

He normally responds quickly and surprisingly, writes at length. When you get him started about his gear, features, designs, or music you will get long interesting letters! It could be a Chinese holiday or he could be swamped. Give it another day or so and hopefully he will get back to you.

Oct 27, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #9,111 of 11,266
When he started using the Amanero asynchronous USB interface it remedied that quite a bit. Now with some due diligence on USB cable spec and source computer, there's nothing lacking in the USB input.

But yeah, I agree, it takes a genius to design and build a proprietary discrete R2R DAC implementation that performs so well. I would love to see how the R7-HE Mk2 stacks up against the heavyweights, MSB and DCS.

What audio-gd now needs is a modern website and online ordering system....make it happen Kingwa!
You have a taste of a comparison with DCS in the Stereophile review.

Oct 28, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #9,115 of 11,266
Magna Hifi‘s R7HE mk2 export pricing (no VAT) is a huge bargain! 3,368.60 euros. Today $1 = 1 euro on the currency exchange. So $3,368.60! Good deal if shipping and taxes make sense where you live.

Kingwa is making money anywhere you shop. Certainly will be looking at Magna for Audio GD in the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Mr G
Back