New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Sep 20, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #8,956 of 11,266
Thanks. Maybe it is a firmware thing. I will await Kingwa's answer, and in the meantime it will be PCM bliss :)
Problem solved! No more constant hiss/crackle from the left channel!

Kingwa thought it could be some sort of interference, so he asked me to open the case of the R8HE and check some wires, moving them around a bit to see whether it would make a difference. Jos helped me to identify these wires. However, before I moved anything the problem seemed already to be solved. Now I had the Vacuum HE1 XLR on top of the R8HE so to do this experiment I had to remove it and put it on the floor. Then I guessed it could have been interference from the preamp. Kingwa confirmed this possibility and advised me to put the DAC on top of the preamp. I initially did it the other way around as the preamp becomes really hot, but he said reversing should be no problem provided there is sufficient space between the two. So now, with preamp and DAC reversed, I am listening to gorgeous DSD256. Happy camper etc.!

Very occasionally I still get a short loud hiss when playing DSD, but this could be HQP settings, DAC break in, so I am not worrying too much about that now...

1663669475387.png

Sep 20, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #8,957 of 11,266

Kingwa thought it could be some sort of interference, so he asked me to open the case of the R8HE and check some wires, moving them around a bit to see whether it would make a difference. Jos helped me to identify these wires. However, before I moved anything the problem seemed already to be solved. Now I had the Vacuum HE1 XLR on top of the R8HE so to do this experiment I had to remove it and put it on the floor. Then I guessed it could have been interference from the preamp. Kingwa confirmed this possibility and advised me to put the DAC on top of the preamp. I initially did it the other way around as the preamp becomes really hot, but he said reversing should be no problem provided there is sufficient space between the two. So now, with preamp and DAC reversed, I am listening to gorgeous DSD256. Happy camper etc.!

Very occasionally I still get a short loud hiss when playing DSD, but this could be HQP settings, DAC break in, so I am not worrying too much about that now...

I'm sorry, I should have thought of this.

I do get interference (audible in my R8 Mk2) from the clock in my TASCAM digital recorder when it runs off its internal clock. When I drive the TASCAM from my Mutec (normal case) the noise goes away.

Anyway, great to hear it is resolved and not a fault of the gear!

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #8,959 of 11,266
I believe it is, as the problem started when I received the R8HE. And today I checked with the Hapi and then there is no problem. I will write to Kingwa.
I have a similar problem with my new R8HE Mk2, but the noise comes out through the left channel only when I play DSD 128 in Roon.. Foobar and JRiver play the same files without any noise whatsoever.. So I'm quite convinced the problem is with the Roon.. to me it is a compatibility issue between R8HE and Roon rather than a dedicated R8HE problem..

PC Win10 -> DI20HE -> R8HE Mk2 -> HE9 Mk2

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #8,960 of 11,266

1663669475387.png
I believe I have a similar set up as yours:

SOtM SMS-200 Ultra Neo SE > DI-20 (non HE) > HE-7 mkii DAC > HE-1 mkii preamp

Just curious, how do you find your digital rig? Have you got the chance to compare it to any other one?

I find mine gorgeous. Incredibly natural and analog sounding.

Sep 21, 2022 at 3:00 AM Post #8,961 of 11,266
I believe I have a similar set up as yours:

SOtM SMS-200 Ultra Neo SE > DI-20 (non HE) > HE-7 mkii DAC > HE-1 mkii preamp

Just curious, how do you find your digital rig? Have you got the chance to compare it to any other one?

I find mine gorgeous. Incredibly natural and analog sounding.

I currently have a choice of streamers: this SOtM, Pi2AES and Afterdark Rossana. They all have functional pros and cons. On Pi2AES and Rossana I can install GentooPlayer which allows me to use the Diretta protocol. SOtM and Rosanna have a 10MHz clock input and can do up to DSD512. Pi2AES maxes at PCM192. The SOtM has an optimized USB output, the others don't (although in my experience this is less important when using the DI-20HE)... I was very pleased with Diretta until it started giving me headaches (lost connections, complex setup), so now it is the SOtM with NAA for HQPlayer

Having said that: the SQ benchmark among sources for me is still the pure and minimalistic (network-less) SDTrans384 SD transport. This can handle DSD256, however I prefer to add the magic of the DI-20HE, so that limits me to PCM192 as in SDTrans384 --> spdif (BNC to RCA) --> DI-20HE --> I2S -- DAC.

Sep 21, 2022 at 4:12 AM Post #8,962 of 11,266
I currently have a choice of streamers: this SOtM, Pi2AES and Afterdark Rossana. They all have functional pros and cons. On Pi2AES and Rossana I can install GentooPlayer which allows me to use the Diretta protocol. SOtM and Rosanna have a 10MHz clock input and can do up to DSD512. Pi2AES maxes at PCM192. The SOtM has an optimized USB output, the others don't (although in my experience this is less important when using the DI-20HE)... I was very pleased with Diretta until it started giving me headaches (lost connections, complex setup), so now it is the SOtM with NAA for HQPlayer

Having said that: the SQ benchmark among sources for me is still the pure and minimalistic (network-less) SDTrans384 SD transport. This can handle DSD256, however I prefer to add the magic of the DI-20HE, so that limits me to PCM192 as in SDTrans384 --> spdif (BNC to RCA) --> DI-20HE --> I2S -- DAC.
How important the 10 MHz clock input on a streamer? I mean the common external clock on dac and ddc definetly improve the SQ, but is it worth on the streamer?

The SOtM is on my whislist, but it's the price is very high, and needs a decent LPS.

Sep 21, 2022 at 4:42 AM Post #8,963 of 11,266
How important the 10 MHz clock input on a streamer? I mean the common external clock on dac and ddc definetly improve the SQ, but is it worth on the streamer?

The SOtM is on my whislist, but it's the price is very high, and needs a decent LPS.

Indeed I thought I noticed that the clock input on the streamer is less important. SQ wise the Pi2AES (no clock input) can compete with the two others. Actually I have an external clock with only 3 connections and consider moving one from the SOtM to an EtherRegen. I will let my ears decide.

Sep 21, 2022 at 5:51 AM Post #8,965 of 11,266
What settings do you run the R8 MK2 on? Do you guys uses the Vinyl simulation filter or any over sampling?

I am not an expert as I only received my R8HE Mk2 last week, but I did notice that I do not like the turntable ('S') option.
As for oversampling, I assume that it can be divided between HQPlayer and the DAC, as for example in
44 --> HQP NOS --> 44 --> R8HE OS8 --> 352
44 --> HQP OS4 --> 176 --> R8HE OS2 --> 352
44 --> HQP OS8 --> 352 --> R8HE N0 or N1 --> 352
For now I tend to use the DAC in NOS mode, although I am not sure yet about N0 or N1.

I wonder what the R8HE OS settings do with DSD input. Does anyone know? Recommended setting?

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 6:48 AM Post #8,966 of 11,266
I use NOS (N1, 0 was not available on my version). It's really up to your preference. I donl't use the vinyl mode, never bothered trying it. I don't want any additional processing which is why I use NOS mode.

Good question whether DSD is upsampled.

Sep 21, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #8,968 of 11,266
I would not be surprised if the NOS modes also do some processing. Logic says that in my the case of the R8HE either N0 and N1 does, or both, otherwise there would be no difference.
I asked Kingwa back then and he said that OS0 is different from NOS1. I can't remember the details how they differed.

As far as NOS1, 2, 3, the answer was just configuration slots for possible future firmware (according to the product pages).

Sep 21, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #8,969 of 11,266
What settings do you run the R8 MK2 on? Do you guys uses the Vinyl simulation filter or any over sampling?
I used the vinyl simulation in the very beginning when the highs were a bit harsh.. Now, after approx. 70 hours of burn-in the vinyl mode seems too smooth for my taste.. NOS1 is what I use most nowadays..

I can't believe how transparent the sound has become .. already very happy and the best is yet to come..

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #8,970 of 11,266
Can anyone tell me please if connection of an external clock affects in any way the burn in process? Shall I fully burn in the DAC and only then connect the clock? My concern is that the device may burn in somehow differently if an external clock is involved..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back