New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Nov 7, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #7,966 of 11,260
I was just saying to a friend in a PM that i wonder if i ever heard better sound than what i have since the fw update and the ext. clock improvement it brought. On old lives, the stage has so much depth. The hand clapping sounds real. The sound is smooth, precise, dynamic, lively, rich, airy and weighty.

A friend that came over noticed the difference right away..

Nov 8, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #7,967 of 11,260
Hello,

I have a GD R2R7 audio which was upgraded in March 2019 with :
-New R2R DACV2 Boards
-Accusilicon Clocks
-Front panel Upgrade (menu mode)

I know that I can still improve it with a new upgrade to have :
- 10 MHZ master clock input (BNC)
- Latest firmware
-Isolated HDM input
-Synchronous and isolated Amanero Usb
-Sample rate display indication

I see on the audio-gd Web site, there is a New firmware, do you think there are New upgrade possible on 2022 for my R2R7/R7?
I only use it with usb input, do you think go withDI20HE is preferable to this upgrade to improve sound quality?
I'm à little loss in all these updates

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #7,968 of 11,260
Hello,

I have a GD R2R7 audio which was upgraded in March 2019 with :
-New R2R DACV2 Boards
-Accusilicon Clocks
-Front panel Upgrade (menu mode)

I know that I can still improve it with a new upgrade to have :
- 10 MHZ master clock input (BNC)
- Latest firmware
-Isolated HDM input
-Synchronous and isolated Amanero Usb
-Sample rate display indication

I see on the audio-gd Web site, there is a New firmware, do you think there are New upgrade possible on 2022 for my R2R7/R7?
I only use it with usb input, do you think go withDI20HE is preferable to this upgrade to improve sound quality?
I'm à little loss in all these updates
The best upgrade would be to install a 2021 digital board and use the October fws and an external clock. Or mod the usb input and digital board to achieve the same results, if possible. You miss the clock input, the usb isolator and usb synchronization. A new ECU will will be needed too.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #7,969 of 11,260
The best upgrade would be to install a 2021 digital board and use the October fws and an external clock. Or mod the usb input and digital board to achieve the same results, if possible. You miss the clock input, the usb isolator and usb synchronization. A new ECU will will be needed too.
Thanks !
I have already r2r dacv2 boards..i must install another ? What is the New "ECU", i not understand this term !

Nov 8, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #7,970 of 11,260
The ECU is a chip sitting right behind the display that controls the user interface. It needs to be either swapped or to be reprogrammed with a fw version allowing the external clock.

You also need a 50ohm bnc connector if you chose to go with 50 ohm for the clock input,

You don't need new dac boards.

Magna can most likely do all this for reasonable money, less than what a di20he costs.

Nov 8, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #7,972 of 11,260
OK thanks, i will contact magna soon...this is a real improvement ? because i m already happy with the naturalness and richness of my sound !
Yes if you get an external clock, and even without, the usb input is also much improved. But tweaking will be needed as you will not get the exact same balance.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #7,973 of 11,260
In many ways i hate upgrading my sound system. It is so sensitive to change that even short HDMI cable swaps are readily noticed. But have grown to really appreciate the PLL_N DAC firmware updates and the Linux optimized Amanero code. Plus installed 076 f/w on the DI20HE. Sounding really good here after a week of my ears adjusting to the changes. And tweaking cables which I try after f/w updates just to keep it all honest.

For a test I even swapped out the Nimak 5 ACSS wires and was shocked how much the Nimaks add to the sound enjoyment. ACSS is billed as a neutral interface but is much affected by cable type IMO.

Nov 9, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #7,974 of 11,260
In many ways i hate upgrading my sound system. It is so sensitive to change that even short HDMI cable swaps are readily noticed. But have grown to really appreciate the PLL_N DAC firmware updates and the Linux optimized Amanero code. Plus installed 076 f/w on the DI20HE. Sounding really good here after a week of my ears adjusting to the changes. And tweaking cables which I try after f/w updates just to keep it all honest.

For a test I even swapped out the Nimak 5 ACSS wires and was shocked how much the Nimaks add to the sound enjoyment. ACSS is billed as a neutral interface but is much affected by cable type IMO.
Interesting...what about the 075 Amanero optimized fw available from Chinese downloads?

Nov 10, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #7,977 of 11,260
Funny Kingwa...never appeared on English repository! I have it on my DI20HE, but with old fw on R7HE 2020 clicks are still loud. Curious to see your results...

On my Linux driven system the PLL_N DAC f/w seems to have the greatest affect on reducing pops and clicks. USB or I2S. I can use any Amanero f/w with good results as far as operation with PLL_N. System dependent I’m sure. Di20 f/w 3.933, 075, & 076 also work well with PLL_N.

Nov 10, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #7,978 of 11,260
On my Linux driven system the PLL_N DAC f/w seems to have the greatest affect on reducing pops and clicks. USB or I2S. I can use any Amanero f/w with good results as far as operation with PLL_N. System dependent I’m sure. Di20 f/w 3.933, 075, & 076 also work well with PLL_N.
Nice to know. When I'll be able to flash new fws, both Xilinx and Altera, on my r7he I will make some test with di 20 fw too. I want to hear what happens to the sound, even considering my external Ref10 clock...😋

Nov 10, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #7,979 of 11,260
My latest f/w choices are based up sound quality versus clicks and pops. The Linux Amanero f.w sounds better to me. Same with 076 on the DI20HE. There will be others that don't agree but everyone's tastes and equipment are different. Try them all if you can.

The Ref 10 is a great clock and what Kingwa uses to audition 10M on his equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back