New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Nov 4, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #7,936 of 11,260
The Xilinx software 14.6 is not very robust even on Win 10. My best advice is to try with a Win 10 PC. Can you beg or borrow a laptop?

Does Windows 11 have a Win 10 emulation mode? I remember Win 7 had XP emulation which saved me on some expensive company s/w.
Bingo. My win 10 office laptop accepted easily xilinx 14.6. Thanks for your suggestions! Now time to wait for blaster, then I suspect I'll have to argue with Kingwa instructions...he's a genius, but his english is a bit limping, lol...any advice will be more than appreciated!

Nov 5, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #7,940 of 11,260
Update done : Amanero OK, Altera OK, Xilinix OK (but I had to try twice to get Xilinx to recognize the device).
Not sure it's night and day from previous firmware. Needs more listening. Was great before, still great. (not using external clock)
Phono is fun but I prefer OS8.
Good update, fixing bugs !

After 1 hour of listening after flashing, it seems it's even better: Is a burning needed after FPGA reprogramming ? ? ?

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #7,941 of 11,260
Update done : Amanero OK, Altera OK, Xilinix OK (but I had to try twice to get Xilinx to recognize the device).
Not sure it's night and day from previous firmware. Needs more listening. Was great before, still great. (not using external clock)

After 1 hour of listening after flashing, it seems it's even better: Is a burning needed after FPGA reprogramming ? ? ?
Possibly. Cause some parts of the FPGA array may never have been used before.

Nov 5, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #7,943 of 11,260

Get a cheap clock for a start. With the new fw, it is a really nice upgrade. If you use the internal usb, this clock is a good starting point:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000363861370.html

Nov 5, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #7,945 of 11,260
Last edited:
Nov 5, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #7,946 of 11,260
Get a cheap clock for a start. With the new fw, it is a really nice upgrade. If you use the internal usb, this clock is a good starting point:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000363861370.html
Yes a cheap switching one which still makes the clock perform nicely. I owned this unit. I tweaked it by adding some film caps passed regulation where the ocxo is fed 12v. A friend now has it. It outputs a sine while Kingwa and people in general would recommend a square. But for the money, it is still excellent. Or else get a Morion mv89 on ebay, it 3-4 times the money and quite better.

Nov 5, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #7,947 of 11,260
Hi!

Haven't been here for a long time. I want to ask a couple of questions to the participants.

At the moment I have an R7HE MK2 DAC and I recently upgraded it to the latest firmware version. Naturally, I did this for all three firmware Amanero, FPGA and CPLD. It probably doesn't make sense to describe my delight at the improvements I've heard, I don't want to talk about them now.
I have a question - Has anyone of those who have completely updated the DAC encountered the problem of loud clicks? I got them when changing the inputs of the DAC and also when switching from internal to external clocks. Moreover, these clicks do not constantly appear. Sometimes the DAC turns on and works without problems, and sometimes it clicks for any reason (DSD-PCM, switching inputs, Switching clocks).

Well, I will share my observation. I recently sold the DI20HE, because after multiple comparisons in several systems, I realized that for the R7HE MK2 with an external clock drive, it is simply not needed and even slightly simplifies the sound.

Nov 5, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #7,948 of 11,260
Hi!

Haven't been here for a long time. I want to ask a couple of questions to the participants.

At the moment I have an R7HE MK2 DAC and I recently upgraded it to the latest firmware version. Naturally, I did this for all three firmware Amanero, FPGA and CPLD. It probably doesn't make sense to describe my delight at the improvements I've heard, I don't want to talk about them now.
I have a question - Has anyone of those who have completely updated the DAC encountered the problem of loud clicks? I got them when changing the inputs of the DAC and also when switching from internal to external clocks. Moreover, these clicks do not constantly appear. Sometimes the DAC turns on and works without problems, and sometimes it clicks for any reason (DSD-PCM, switching inputs, Switching clocks).

Well, I will share my observation. I recently sold the DI20HE, because after multiple comparisons in several systems, I realized that for the R7HE MK2 with an external clock drive, it is simply not needed and even slightly simplifies the sound.
When feeding my r7he mkii the di20he through i2s, i get no click, except when switching input, so when do, i always mute the pre. As for dsd to pcm or pcm to dsd, i get no click. I would think these pops and clicks have to do with using the usb input.

The di20he does indeed give only a small upgrade or maybe i should say that it allows some lattitude in tweakng the sound more then an upgrade per say. I haven't tried the usb input with the new fws however, i probably should.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #7,949 of 11,260
@Mix80 What OS on your music server? With Linux and the DAC updates I get occasional very mild click when switching sampling rates. Not all the time. But it’s much better than the original f/w as far as noises. The clicks occur same internal USB or DI20HE I2S.

I like internal USB as well after the upgrade. Very clean. With the original shipping f/w the highs were really hot on int. USB. Lots of ear burn. Much better now. DI20HE I2S is great as well with DI20 076 f/w.

Nov 5, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #7,950 of 11,260
Just an anecdote about external clocks. This Monday, i had a 15 min power outage. This has an incidence on sound as most oxcos need days if not weeks to stabilize and reach their top performance. It is 4 days later, and sound quality is now pretty much what it was.

So never turn off your ref. clock, otherwise you will never know how good they can be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back