New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Nov 4, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #7,921 of 11,260
I have a similiar Xilinx USB download adapter as pictured below... Purchased many years ago (different vendor). Others may post better deals or more reliable unit. But I have had no problem with mine. Just search Ebay or Aliexpress for "Xilinx USB download"
https://www.ebay.com/itm/164293346924?hash=item2640a5866c:g:zlgAAOSwPvxfEJW-
Thanks DACLadder, I could order it just now on eBay.
Can I safely update in advance the Altera fw, or better to update them together?

Nov 4, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #7,923 of 11,260
Thansk FredA. No issue to open it ? Which screws need to be removed ? Only the 4 top screws ?
There are 2 zip files. If I open the R7HE21, I just need the R721_PLL_N.zip because both Altera and Xilinx firmware are in it, right ?

Nov 4, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #7,924 of 11,260
@XavierP56 To remove the top cover unscrew the four corner hex bolts (M4 - 3mm hex drive) and four Philip screws toward the middle of the top plate. Cut the security seal at the right rear of the cover. Some newer units may have smaller hex bolts in place of the Philips screws.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #7,925 of 11,260
Thansk FredA. No issue to open it ? Which screws need to be removed ? Only the 4 top screws ?
There are 2 zip files. If I open the R7HE21, I just need the R721_PLL_N.zip because both Altera and Xilinx firmware are in it, right ?
You have 8 srews to remove, using 2 hexagonal keys if like my my unit, or could be a screwdriver for the central ones. Once removed, try sliding the cover towards the back of the unit just enough to be able to grab it from underneath and then lift it up and remove it.

The zip file should contain both needed fw files.

Nov 4, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #7,926 of 11,260
Thanks FredA.
So the steps would be
- Flash the Amanero firmware.
- Connect the Altera Blaster
- Turn ON / Flash / Turn off
- Remove Altera, open R7HE21
- Connect the Xilinx
- Close the R7HE21
- Listen to it

Am I right ?

Nov 4, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #7,927 of 11,260
Thanks FredA.
So the steps would be
- Flash the Amanero firmware.
- Connect the Altera Blaster
- Remove Altera, open R7HE21
- Connect the Xilinx
- Close the R7HE21
- Listen to it

Am I right ?
The order of the fw updates does not matter but yes, this is a good overall description.

Nov 4, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #7,929 of 11,260
Hum...I started to install xilinx sw on my PC, but it freezes at 75%...I have win 11 installed and no one of my sw installed have problem working. I'm a bit worried...any idea?
Try another usb port.

Also, make sure the connector is all the way in. With my dac, if had to shave some material off my programmer's connector. If it does not seem perfectly square with the pcb, it is a sign that it is not in all the way in. Of course turn the dac off doing this.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #7,930 of 11,260
Try another usb port.

Also, make sure the connector is all the way in. With my dac, if had to shave some material off my programmer's connector. If it does not seem perfectly square with the pcb, it is a sign that it is not in all the way in. Of course turn the dac off doing this.
Thanks dear Fred! Unfortunately I'm still fighting just with the main xilinx 14.6: this is the beast I am unable to install on my PC! It freezes at around 75%. I tried to completely remove and start again, but until now no good news...If I can't sort it out, I'll try with my office laptop. Finger crossed...

Nov 4, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #7,931 of 11,260
The Xilinx software 14.6 is not very robust even on Win 10. My best advice is to try with a Win 10 PC. Can you beg or borrow a laptop?

Does Windows 11 have a Win 10 emulation mode? I remember Win 7 had XP emulation which saved me on some expensive company s/w.

Nov 4, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #7,932 of 11,260
Thanks dear Fred! Unfortunately I'm still fighting just with the main xilinx 14.6: this is the beast I am unable to install on my PC! It freezes at around 75%. I tried to completely remove and start again, but until now no good news...If I can't sort it out, I'll try with my office laptop. Finger crossed...
Hope you get it sorted with the laptop as @DACLadder suggested.

Nov 4, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #7,934 of 11,260
Bugs, wrong files, incorrect documentation perhaps…only the R7_2020_N version.

Brings up a good point. This other FPGA firmware (not PLL_N) does not require the Xilinx to be updated. Something to try if using internal clocks especially with Linux optimized Amanero code. When, of course, Kingwa updates the R7_2020_N link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back