New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Mar 31, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #5,941 of 11,260
sometimes simple is better!

In terms of approach (what i'd like to do, am still on a diagram), yes; as long as one grasps the 'barrier' between simple and simplistic.
In terms of implementation however, not really. Unfortunately that is :)

One finds that even the simplest of things are or can become overly complex. When they're not, nine times out of ten it's down to either incomplete knowledge or cost factors.

And that's the analog. The digital..

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #5,942 of 11,260
Dont know exactly whats the issue with R7 but for r8he it has static noise on all inputs with the latest firmware, I emailed Kingwa and he has acknowledged the issue and is working for a fix.
could you have response from Kingwa on the static noise level correction for the new firmware?
and...could you please share your listening feedback from this new firmware versus the precedent version? Any tangible improvement?

Apr 1, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #5,943 of 11,260
could you have response from Kingwa on the static noise level correction for the new firmware?
and...could you please share your listening feedback from this new firmware versus the precedent version? Any tangible improvement?

Noise is fixed in the newest released r8 firmware v1.13. As far as listening goes sound signature is same as all the parallel dop firmwares but my system liles old tda syn firmwares so i did not analyse the improvements much.

Apr 3, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #5,944 of 11,260
Has anyone ever tried to use a USB adaptor (not cable) to connect PC streamer to the DI and then via I2S---> DAC ? I was not able to connect my PC streamer directly to the R7 using a single USB adaptor due too the power cord and other wires. But with DI perhaps one can move it closer to the PC, though from the pic it appears the power cord IEC is too close to the USB.

Apr 3, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #5,945 of 11,260
Has anyone ever tried to use a USB adaptor (not cable) to connect PC streamer to the DI and then via I2S---> DAC ? I was not able to connect my PC streamer directly to the R7 using a single USB adaptor due too the power cord and other wires. But with DI perhaps one can move it closer to the PC, though from the pic it appears the power cord IEC is too close to the USB.

I have a UpTone ISO Regen powered by the Ultracap LPS plugged into the DI-20HE... i don't know how big your streamer unit is, but it's pretty tight!

IMG_20200131_165204.jpg

Apr 3, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #5,946 of 11,260
I have a UpTone ISO Regen powered by the Ultracap LPS plugged into the DI-20HE... i don't know how big your streamer unit is, but it's pretty tight!

IMG_20200131_165204.jpg
My HDplex is pretty large so it would be similar to yours. I had to chain a few USB adaptors in the past. Which was better than a regular USB copper cable. I know use an optical USB cable but it is really long (they don't have short ones). I did see some short ultra-short USB cables in the past.

Apr 4, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #5,947 of 11,260
My HDplex is pretty large so it would be similar to yours. I had to chain a few USB adaptors in the past. Which was better than a regular USB copper cable. I know use an optical USB cable but it is really long (they don't have short ones). I did see some short ultra-short USB cables in the past.

I obtained very good performance with this USB cable inserting an iFi iGalvanic3 in the chain...Wireworld Ultraviolet 8 USB 2.0 A-B (0.5 m)
Could compare it to an adapter and couldn’t notice any audible difference...

Apr 17, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #5,949 of 11,260
I haven't. But it uses a big bunch of transformers (3) and chokes (5), 8 all in all! On the other hand, those discrete opamps they use should likely be no match for Kingwa's output stage. The r7he is up there with 15k dacs given how better it sounds compared to the regular version.

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #5,955 of 11,260
You don’t mess around buying from Kingwa’s eStore! Nice!

Take that system to the next level with an external 10M clock connected to the DI20HE. A really good clock and you will be handsomely rewarded.

Thank you, I started with the NFB series, had last winter for a month a Master-1 and before I buy the R-7 I change my mind and upgraded directly to the HE series...needs near 3 years and if I hear some highend setups from dealers, I don‘t regret it!

You say it, a Ref10 is on my list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back