New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Mar 22, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #5,927 of 11,260
I'm on lockdown in Northern Calf. due to the C-19 virus. Hope everyone is safe! I have so much equipment that I will never get bored or run out of things to try. I plan on finally getting my tube amp/ speakers setup after rearranging the furniture. Have plenty of time to think about it.

China is back open and Kingwa/ staff are busy trying to catch up on orders after Lunar New Year followed by the C-19 lockdown. The time off gave Kingwa time to design new products and enhance his product lines. 2019 was such a banner year for Audio GD. I'm sure 2020 will be full of new surprises. Stay safe everyone and meet you on the other side!

Mar 22, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #5,928 of 11,260
I'm on lockdown in Northern Calf. due to the C-19 virus. Hope everyone is safe! I have so much equipment that I will never get bored or run out of things to try. I plan on finally getting my tube amp/ speakers setup after rearranging the furniture. Have plenty of time to think about it.

China is back open and Kingwa/ staff are busy trying to catch up on orders after Lunar New Year followed by the C-19 lockdown. The time off gave Kingwa time to design new products and enhance his product lines. 2019 was such a banner year for Audio GD. I'm sure 2020 will be full of new surprises. Stay safe everyone and meet you on the other side!
Thanks for the update, my next plan is to get the DI though I am short of cash right now. The economic uncertainly is also a bit of a bummer. Who knows what will happen, if there will be a global recession. I do hope Kingwa will survive this. I heard China just built 2 large hospitals 1000 beds each just for the C virus in 2 wks ! That is nuts!
I am also rearranging or rather starting to arrange properly my listening room. It is a mess right now, but I am currently screwing around with my surround setup.
I am in NYC , the biggest pandemic area in US, but it its good Hi Fi can be enjoyed purely as indoor activity.
See safe everyone and avoid crowds at all cost!

Mar 22, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #5,929 of 11,260
I am in China, so I guess already on the other side... things are slowly returning to normal, but it is obvious the focus is on protection rather than production...

just took delivery of a R2R-11 , I had an extra modded SU-1 so asked Kingwa to make the R2R-11 with HDMI i2s input instead of USB..
no problem, delivered in a few days
works perfect and sounds unbelievable... I am shocked...especially considering the price
I need to let it break in a little, but preliminary observation is that the general sound quality is comparable to the Gustard A20H /w/ U16 I recently had in my system for a few months. (using preamp to speakers only, no headphones here...)

side note... I just tested my NOS7 direct via ACSS using HQPlayer as digital volume control... works well and clear as a bell.. attenuation required for my listening levels is about -15db to -12db I estimate.

Mar 23, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #5,930 of 11,260
I am in China, so I guess already on the other side... things are slowly returning to normal, but it is obvious the focus is on protection rather than production...

just took delivery of a R2R-11 , I had an extra modded SU-1 so asked Kingwa to make the R2R-11 with HDMI i2s input instead of USB..
no problem, delivered in a few days
works perfect and sounds unbelievable... I am shocked...especially considering the price
I need to let it break in a little, but preliminary observation is that the general sound quality is comparable to the Gustard A20H /w/ U16 I recently had in my system for a few months. (using preamp to speakers only, no headphones here...)

side note... I just tested my NOS7 direct via ACSS using HQPlayer as digital volume control... works well and clear as a bell.. attenuation required for my listening levels is about -15db to -12db I estimate.
Have you tried playing DSD256 or even lower rate within R2R11 ? I don't think it has the latest digital board for DSD so there could be noise.

Mar 23, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #5,931 of 11,260
Have you tried playing DSD256 or even lower rate within R2R11 ? I don't think it has the latest digital board for DSD so there could be noise.
Interesting question - I only have native DSD tracks in DSD512, some classical sampler.
I just tried a single track (DSD512 ) and played OK with JPlay Mini, sounds wonderful...
This is with the SU-1 via i2s, using an old standard 1M HDMI cable, and printer-level USB cable... not sure what is happening technically in the software or hardware as this is a non-standard configuration. After I get my better cables and this breaks in a little, I will try more tests for upsampled DSD256 tracks, popping, etc and report later at the R2R11 thread..

take care there in NYC - we have been in restricted access mode here (control of access to the residential complex, malls, etc.) for quite a while... seems this social distancing strategy works if there is discipline in the application.

Mar 23, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #5,932 of 11,260
Interesting question - I only have native DSD tracks in DSD512, some classical sampler.
I just tried a single track (DSD512 ) and played OK with JPlay Mini, sounds wonderful...
This is with the SU-1 via i2s, using an old standard 1M HDMI cable, and printer-level USB cable... not sure what is happening technically in the software or hardware as this is a non-standard configuration. After I get my better cables and this breaks in a little, I will try more tests for upsampled DSD256 tracks, popping, etc and report later at the R2R11 thread..

take care there in NYC - we have been in restricted access mode here (control of access to the residential complex, malls, etc.) for quite a while... seems this social distancing strategy works if there is discipline in the application.
Thanks! the upsampling may help reduce noise e.g HQplayer has a filter that gets rid of the noise. But when playing native DSD 256 direct mode without upsampling the noise may be there (though usually at beginning of a track). The latest D2 board on R7 and other higher models solves the noise issue together with the latest FW. I am curious if r2r11 will play native DSD 256 without noise after its latest upgrade.

Mar 27, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #5,933 of 11,260
Please, remind me, what exact magic does this knob for Master 9 do?

QXXBBZC.jpg

Mar 28, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #5,935 of 11,260
Mar 30, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #5,937 of 11,260
Not strictly on topic, but as i've seen plenty of other models mentioned..
Googled for audio-gd D-"57" and not a single review or impression.

Anyone that's heard it, knows of someone that has or better yet, can direct me someplace i might have missed?
Not a fan of SMDs, though i) i can understand why given the pricing, ii) to his defense there does seem to be some understanding on where they can be placed and where they shouldn't.
Overall, it's tempting to say it 'looks' good for what it costs, but if only it was that simple :)
On the other hand, i've read multiple mentions of an overly high gain (i mean this is really basic stuff) on other models plus hints of his products being a 'hit and miss' thing, ie accoustic quality greatly varying.

- Any impressions (read: not your hypothesis, actual impressions) would be most welcome. And apologies for the slight hijacking!
- And barring those, perhaps a general description of what, if any, sound signature his non-R2R DACs usually have? Would also be appreciated. What i've read thus far appears to reinforce the 'hit and miss' mentioned above. I cannot audition, so forgive me for sounding overly picky, but going in blind is difficult.

And again, due apologies for asking here, not comfortable making a new thread.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #5,938 of 11,260
Hi. This is the small brother of the d-77 which uses a pair of es9038 instead of es9028, but otherwise is the same machine.

It will sound like an upgrade to the d-28 dac/amp, which replaces the nfb-28. You will find tons of info on the latter. Youtube reviews and written ones. The nfb-28 uses only one dac chip, same with the d-28.

Mar 30, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #5,939 of 11,260
Thank you very much @FredA that helps, will have a look :)

Eventually, i'll be building my own, it's inevitable.. due to age however, the digital/FPGA/software side of things is harder for me. Got a couple of DACs i've already bought [so as to experiment/reverse engineer], thinking this needs to be added too, the FIFO part really. But old dogs and new tricks! Need to have it in front of me, lol
* Just to be clear, we're talking private, one man home use here; wouldn't wish to be misunderstood. When you have a business, you have financial constraints; as a consumer, i don't. So naturally, i can strive for more, or less. Case in point, i don't want filters, i don't want a display, etc. etc.; that's all.

Once again, sincere apologies for the off topic intrusion.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #5,940 of 11,260
Thank you very much @FredA that helps, will have a look :)

Eventually, i'll be building my own, it's inevitable.. due to age however, the digital/FPGA/software side of things is harder for me. Got a couple of DACs i've already bought [so as to experiment/reverse engineer], thinking this needs to be added too, the FIFO part really. But old dogs and new tricks! Need to have it in front of me, lol
* Just to be clear, we're talking private, one man home use here; wouldn't wish to be misunderstood. When you have a business, you have financial constraints; as a consumer, i don't. So naturally, i can strive for more, or less. Case in point, i don't want filters, i don't want a display, etc. etc.; that's all.

Once again, sincere apologies for the off topic intrusion.
A couple years ago Audio-GD was offering their r2r modules for DIY use. (Not sure what the current status is on module sales)...
A friend put one together using 2 modules (I think) and some spare parts from other dacs and tried it in my system.
He integrated the DAC with a music server (I think it used a small Supermicro MB) with very good power supplies of his design (most using LT3045 regulators).. this resulted in a smallish device with low power requirements - we powered the entire thing from a regenerative power supply.
wow - amazingly clean and airy sound but not much volume level (maybe low output voltage.. needed to use a preamp).
A good example that sometimes simple is better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back