New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Mar 19, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #5,921 of 11,260
It looks like Kingwa published firmware for the following... @Chopin75 I haven't noticed anything different lately but infrequently listen to DSD files. I have been using standard R7 'DoP' firmware from October 2019.

- R7/ R7HE 2020 (October 2019), R28 (new March 2020 version)
- (before 2017,Non Singularity DACs) Master 7 and HE7, Reference 7, Reference 5, DAC19 at the very bottom of the page. 'V5' was the orginal firmware and 'V7' the 2016 update

http://www.audio-gd.com/Firmwaredownload.htm
For a while the pops subsided at least for DSD but now with new Fw ther are more pops for DSD track changes, though I have not checked if.this is.also due to my euphony acting up, hard to say. When I res restart the PC there is static noise and clicking sound but I think that is euphony issue, I will.have.to. ask them. Too many changes even though I try to be slow. I am glad there is silence from Kingwa but I wonder if his factory is also working with less people due to the C virus

Mar 20, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #5,922 of 11,260
Guys, I am using di20he and r8he. While using usb, I noticed that acss coax from di20he to r8he sounds more lively open and smooth on treble whereas from i2s hdmi to r8he sounds more laid back and voices and instruments spread and go back though tonality is much better than coax. The difference is big substantial for me and i did not expect this big difference. what is the general consensus on coax vs i2s. I always thought i2s was better but with coax i seem to ike the open and lively treble and smoothenss in treble. With i2s it can get little hard on treble.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #5,923 of 11,260
I2S was king until asynchronous firmware. With each new version of firmware the differences between inputs are less obvious. So pick what sounds best to me at the moment. Currently using ‘DoP’ and SPDIF sounding really good. But next week I may prefer I2S or AES/EBU. Cables and sources still have an affect on performance and enjoyment as well.

Mar 20, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #5,924 of 11,260
I2S was king until asynchronous firmware. With each new version of firmware the differences between inputs are less obvious. So pick what sounds best to me at the moment. Currently using ‘DoP’ and SPDIF sounding really good. But next week I may prefer I2S or AES/EBU. Cables and sources still have an affect on performance and enjoyment as well.
yah, I wonder if the HDMI/I2S cable plays a critical role. It should be as short as possible ?

Mar 20, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #5,925 of 11,260
Yes, cables (power and signal) subtly affect sound. Good way tune up your system and ears. Shortest signal cables have always sounded better to me versus longer. Experimentation is encouraged!!

With firmware changes I periodically retest cables. Surprising what you think you know may not be the same as before. The R7/DI-20HE has so much resolution that small changes are readily noticed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back