New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jan 5, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #5,761 of 11,260
This is great! Thank you so much for the information. I will start the process tomorrow.

You are welcome.

I know this is a little bit off topic, but I post it here because it could also help another head-fi fellow, even most of them experienced audiophiles.

Your room modes (the bass response of the room in different locations of it) depend mostly on your room dimensions, meaning that your main speakers placement wont affect much, but your listening position will. Before setting your subs, you can use the Sound Analyzer app to find the listening position with the smoothest bass response with only your main speakers playing. Then try with different speakers separation and toe in for the best tone and soundstage and just then follow Jim's steps for the subs.

It takes time, but its totally worthwile. The more time you spend on it, the best. Im a little bit lazy and did all in two afternoons.

Jan 5, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #5,762 of 11,260
You are welcome.

I know this is a little bit off topic, but I post it here because it could also help another head-fi fellow, even most of them experienced audiophiles.

Your room modes (the bass response of the room in different locations of it) depend mostly on your room dimensions, meaning that your main speakers placement wont affect much, but your listening position will. Before setting your subs, you can use the Sound Analyzer app to find the listening position with the smoothest bass response with only your main speakers playing. Then try with different speakers separation and toe in for the best tone and soundstage and just then follow Jim's steps for the subs.

It takes time, but its totally worthwile. The more time you spend on it, the best. Im a little bit lazy and did all in two afternoons.
I really appreciate you taking the time to give me the advice and suggestions. This hobby is great because people like you are willing to share what they have learned. I am working now on dialing in my speakers and getting the room nodes corrected.

Jan 7, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #5,763 of 11,260
The ordeal with the wait is for me over! Now burn-in time...

1378BE51-44D0-485D-8E70-2B273D98AA11.jpeg

Jan 7, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #5,765 of 11,260
I may be trying to analyze the sound quality changes after adding a DI-20HE to the system too soon. I still haven't totally adjusted to the sound change created by a recent hack on the M7S where I covered the underside of the bonnet with Dynamat vibration dampener. Notice I also have the extension installed so I don't have to lift the hood to change the firmware.
20200101-230528-1.jpg

The DI-20HE
P1070013.jpg

Jan 8, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #5,767 of 11,260
That is an awesome setup you have there. I have a little over 300 hours burn-in on my DI-20 and it's settling in great.

Thanks a lot! The nearly two years of languishing for the Master series were ultimately rewarded. Ah good news, I started the usually 1000h burn-in that ends with the arrival of the DI-20HE...at the beginning of March, all devices would have to be burned in.

Jan 8, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #5,768 of 11,260
Thanks a lot! The nearly two years of languishing for the Master series were ultimately rewarded. Ah good news, I started the usually 1000h burn-in that ends with the arrival of the DI-20HE...at the beginning of March, all devices would have to be burned in.
I have been looking at the Master Series, and I may look to purchase the Vacuum HE-1 to replace my McIntosh C2200 at some point.

Jan 8, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #5,769 of 11,260
Excellent review and a brilliant music choice! Of the gear, I'd still personally go for the Denafrips Terminator, it would balance superbly with my extremely efficient vintage Sansui SP-300 speakers (104dB or thereabouts), they have a way of allowing all of the musical threads to be exposed without jamming them up. That thickness in the bass seems to be a common thread with the A-gd gear, right down to the R2R-11 I have here - I prefer the transparency and speed of the Schiit Modi Multibit with Slinkylinks' superb pure silver ICs. Still, the R2R is a keeper, it's versatility a boon at times.
Music wise, I'd never heard of the Eeg/Fonnesbaek combo before (fantastic!) or even Billie Eilish (I rarely enjoy much music from this genre, so I don't go looking through it), benefits all round :) I do love Bob Frisell though! Great choices to show the talents of the gear, Jackula.

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #5,770 of 11,260
Excellent review and a brilliant music choice! Of the gear, I'd still personally go for the Denafrips Terminator, it would balance superbly with my extremely efficient vintage Sansui SP-300 speakers (104dB or thereabouts), they have a way of allowing all of the musical threads to be exposed without jamming them up. That thickness in the bass seems to be a common thread with the A-gd gear, right down to the R2R-11 I have here - I prefer the transparency and speed of the Schiit Modi Multibit with Slinkylinks' superb pure silver ICs. Still, the R2R is a keeper, it's versatility a boon at times.
Music wise, I'd never heard of the Eeg/Fonnesbaek combo before (fantastic!) or even Billie Eilish (I rarely enjoy much music from this genre, so I don't go looking through it), benefits all round :) I do love Bob Frisell though! Great choices to show the talents of the gear, Jackula.
I am not sure Jack will find the bass so thick once everything has settled. As for the r2r-11, it is a nos dac, it can't sound as fast or crisp. But for soundstaging and timbres, it leaves most competitors under 500usd in the dust. I never get tired of listening to mine, it shines with all styles i listen to, even classical. Great little unit. Just my opinion anyway.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #5,771 of 11,260
I have been looking at the Master Series, and I may look to purchase the Vacuum HE-1 to replace my McIntosh C2200 at some point.

I like the HE-1V also and want them, but
1. I don‘t know the tube sound because I haven‘t listened to an tube amp yet (from Homepage: the HE-1V sound may has some different than some vacuum valve units)
2. I‘m thinking about new speakers

Jan 10, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #5,772 of 11,260
I like the HE-1V also and want them, but
1. I don‘t know the tube sound because I haven‘t listened to an tube amp yet (from Homepage: the HE-1V sound may has some different than some vacuum valve units)
2. I‘m thinking about new speakers
I have owned a Rogue Audio tube amp in the past, Consonance Integrated Tube Amp, and the McIntosh. Of those, I prefer the McIntosh. It allows the music to sound like music.

Jan 11, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #5,773 of 11,260

The Vacuum HE-1 is amazing! Breathtaking ! It sounds like the Solid state HE1 which is a master piece, The Vacuum is slightly more focused on mid section and wonderful micro detail height. You do loose the ACSS capability. Also the vacuum has a sweet spot (volume range). If you like to play really, really loud the HE1 solid state doesn’t bother at all. The HE1 Vacuum stays less tight. I have compared both.

Jan 11, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #5,774 of 11,260
I am not sure Jack will find the bass so thick once everything has settled. As for the r2r-11, it is a nos dac, it can't sound as fast or crisp. But for soundstaging and timbres, it leaves most competitors under 500usd in the dust. I never get tired of listening to mine, it shines with all styles i listen to, even classical. Great little unit. Just my opinion anyway.

my audioGD journey started with the R2R-11... I still use it as my bedside headphone rig :wink:

0D5EF579-297D-414E-9038-23004061D64D.jpeg

Jan 11, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #5,775 of 11,260
Thank you for this information, It sounds from your description that the HE-1 and Vacuum HE1 sound very similar, with the HE-1 better able to play loud. I don't listen to high levels, but sometimes when the music calls for it, I like to crank things up a bit. Which preamp would be your personal preference?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back