New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
May 21, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #4,201 of 11,260
@Turdski I love my Master 1, but a Master 1 with two pairs of ACSS Outputs? This sounds really cool!
Imho, two Amps are sufficient, but they should be from "Papa".

My R8 has now two working IIS Inputs on 4 and 5.
The IIS Issues i wrote About here, with TDAasy, Accusilicon Clocks and the PS Audio PWT are gone! They where in deed related to "not burned in" Clocks.

I´m really happy now with two IIS Sources (Gustard U16 and a Transport) and TDAasy.
Now I can patiently wait for the ordered V2 Boards...

DSC05240.jpg
DSC05238.jpg

May 21, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #4,203 of 11,260
I finally got my R-8 updated with the new DA7-V2 boards and the Accusilicon clocks. I still have V3S firmware installed from my last fickle change. I plan on trying V3A again along with the TDA-Asy, and TDA-Syn. It will be a while though. I tend to listen to one change at a time for a while. I installed the TDA-Asy on my R-1 while the R-8 was being updated, and I like the new NOS mode quite a bit at first listen. Personally, I did not care very much for the TDA simulation on either recommended OS setting. I do like the OS modes with dither. YMMV.

I chuckle sometimes at the use of "YMMV" in posts, even mine. It sometimes seems like a cop out to offering a firm opinion. In this specific case, I love it. We all have different systems, ears, brains, rooms, music tastes etc. The fact that we have such a breadth of options in our DACs to make our systems each sound their best in our unique circumstances and suit our tastes is pretty fantastic. Thank you, Kingwa for your generosity and support. I can't wait to fiddle a bit more and find my sweet spot.
IMG_1154.JPG IMG_1153.JPG .

May 21, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #4,204 of 11,260
Very nice. Thank you for sharing your observations. I got notice that my R8 shipped on Saturday, but I still don't have tracking information yet. I'm anxious to burn it in and play around with the settings once I have a feel for the base settings that it shipped with.

May 21, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #4,205 of 11,260
@barbas. Were the Accusilicon’s stolen from your package? DA7 V2 modules look similar to V1. My V2s have better looking top cover plates and black screws versus V1. No “V2” labeling I noticed.
Noup. DHL package sent from China was completely sealed. Clearly somebody forgot to include it in the packaging.

May 21, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #4,206 of 11,260
Noup. DHL package sent from China was completely sealed. Clearly somebody forgot to include it in the packaging.
Hi @barbas

Sorry about your situation. I just read your post. I am sure you've already done this, but check the package carefully several times. I almost threw out my clocks with the bubble-wrap and other packaging. They were stuck between two small pieces of semi-rigid white foam (pins poking into the foam) with a piece of clear tape wrapped around it. It took me a while to find them. Don't throw away any of your packaging until you tear it apart.

I hope you find them!

May 22, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #4,208 of 11,260
@barbas Sorry to here, that they have forgotten to send them within your parcel, my Clocks were packed like this, in a larger package…

Well, no. No such package was inside the DHL envelope. This is really a mess, as I said, Uy customs are really complicated to import this kind of stuff, I've spent months trying to find the way to ship this package.

May 22, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #4,209 of 11,260
BTW, last night I changed the DA7 boards and flashed TDA Asy firmware. First impressions are really good, this needs to settle down, but things looks very promising.

I'm really pi*** off by the fact that Accusillicon clocks should also be installed at this stage.

May 22, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #4,210 of 11,260
Well, no. No such package was inside the DHL envelope. This is really a mess, as I said, Uy customs are really complicated to import this kind of stuff, I've spent months trying to find the way to ship this package.

Hi barbas,
That is a pity. I am sure Kingwa/Audio-gd will do their best to help You out here. Have reached out to them yet?
By the way, I know they are having a very busy time now and small mistakes happens even if they are few. I am a swede and the customs are not funny to have to do with. Luckily DHL has their own custom delegation here so it usually runs smoother than the regular one.. Maybe You also have that option with some delivery company?
/Jan

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #4,211 of 11,260
One more appreciation: DA7 V2 should have the latest Xillinx firmware flashed, right? Because I'm experiencing the same strong 'pops' when changing sample rates as prior with DA7 V1 with older firmware.

May 22, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #4,212 of 11,260
Hi barbas,
That is a pity. I am sure Kingwa/Audio-gd will do their best to help You out here. Have reached out to them yet?
By the way, I know they are having a very busy time now and small mistakes happens even if they are few. I am a swede and the customs are not funny to have to do with. Luckily DHL has their own custom delegation here so it usually runs smooder than the regular one.. Maybe You also have that option with some delivery company?
/Jan
Thanks for your comments @JaMo
Yes, of course I reached them. I must assume things are kind of busy because Kingwa is not answering directly to me as he always did, instead May asked me the same as you guys, if I was sure that the clocks were not overlooked. And no, they were not. Communication with them is very slow due to the differences of hours. I know small mistakes can happen, but this will cost me a lot of time and effort to solve this issue -again-. Uy customs doesn't allow any company to handle their business, and priority form them is discourage all foreign purchases.

May 22, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #4,213 of 11,260
One more appreciation: DA7 V2 should have the latest Xillinx firmware flashed, right? Because I'm experiencing the same strong 'pops' when changing sample rates as prior with DA7 V1 with older firmware.
So sorry your clocks did not arrive.

The DA-7V2 should come with the latest firmware. FWIW, I generally noticed changes in clicking and popping tendencies when going between the Altera firmwares vs. the Xilinx firmware i.e. TDA-Asy and V3S as an example. However, I've only attempted to change the Xilinx firmware on my R-1, and I am still having a bit of a challenge with the Xilinx software. Kingwa did the last change.

tl;dr I am currently running VS3 at this very moment with the DA-7V2 boards with no clicks at sample rate changes. I2S input.

Edited to add: PCM not DSD for clarity. I have not tried DSD yet.

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #4,214 of 11,260
Hi all,

Now, three weeks has passed by and the the DA7-V2's really has come through the burn in as shining performers in my R2R-7. In my case I changed the the XO's at the same time as V2-boards so it is a combined performace lift I can spot. In @barbas case, I think it is not that huge reason to be too mad about the "forced-on sequencing" with the later XO's install.

My earlier noise problem is completely gone now. In the left channel I had a very, very weak sparkling noise still after the more "white/pink" noisewas gone.. After further investigation I found an inductive interference between the I2S-cables, crossing the 6 cables from DA7 board to the analog board underneath. I just separated them better and voilá. Problem was gone.

The maturing will be going on for a while but now the performance is really so much better with its clarity, placing, separation, space (aura), lush and not least the very black background...So beautiful presentation. Fantastic performance.

I have been home and sick for a few days and everything have felt pretty crappy and pushy... But even so.. This performance have made me smile anyway these days. I think that sais alot.

/Jan

May 22, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #4,215 of 11,260
My earlier noise problem is completely gone now. In the left channel I had a very, very weak sparkling noise still after the more "white/pink" noisewas gone.. After further investigation I found an inductive interference between the I2S-cables, crossing the 6 cables from DA7 board to the analog board underneath. I just separated them better and voilá. Problem was gone.

Interesting problem Jan. Those are some fairly long cable runs from R7 digital board to the DA7 modules. So I can see inductive coupling on parallel wires could be an issue in some systems. Good find and solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back