New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
May 9, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #7,111 of 11,309
One must not forget the biggest improvements has been with the fw. At some point in 2020, if i recall correctly, Kingwa ditched the incoming signal's clocking, and the Fpga process became completely asynch. The fw became so good that my dvd does not need to be reclocked by the di20he anymore to sound very well.

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #7,112 of 11,309
The performance is now only differenciated by jitter, which depends on the clock you use and on the noise level on the digital signal going to the da7 board, which translate into increased jitter. This noise level depends on the noise level of the incoming signals, to a small extent (contamination), on the noise the fpga self-generates doing the processing, and its own psu noise.

The internal usb is not as good as the di20he for the reason that the Amanero generates noises while receiving music. Although it is well isolated, it can't be perfect. I think that using a separate transformer to feed it would likely help.

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #7,113 of 11,309
The Afterdark triple-output Eva is now fully burned-in after 250 hours. I think. Cause compared to the internal, the gain in sound quality, using the r7 mkii and the di20he, is about 15 to 20%.
I have to agree with external clock. Yesterday I listened to internal Accusilicon XOs for a while. The sound reminded me of the older R7. Back to external (Mutec Ref 10) and sound is richer, Better quality of bass, clear highs, and more width/ depth. All better. External clocking is a more significant upgrade than any cable, accessory, or maybe even DAC can provide. I can honestly see upgrading the external clock before the DAC.

May 9, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #7,114 of 11,309
Thanks to you all for your comments.

Fred,

I have received my Nimac ACSS. It is very good.

I agree the external clock is very helpful- but to my ears- the key is to get it on multiple devices for maximum benefit. Just OXCOing one component is not worth it in terms or cost/benefit ratio.

My R10 SE-120 is on my DI-HE, R-7HE, SOTM usb-tx ultra, and on a uptone etherregen as well. The combined clocking is of more substantial consequence than just on the DAC....

May 9, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #7,116 of 11,309
Thanks to you all for your comments.

Fred,

I have received my Nimac ACSS. It is very good.

I agree the external clock is very helpful- but to my ears- the key is to get it on multiple devices for maximum benefit. Just OXCOing one component is not worth it in terms or cost/benefit ratio.

My R10 SE-120 is on my DI-HE, R-7HE, SOTM usb-tx ultra, and on a uptone etherregen as well. The combined clocking is of more substantial consequence than just on the DAC....
Yes, of course. The reason to this escapes me given since the r7he redoes the timing entirely. Kingwa certainly would have an explananation on this.

Using the onboard with an external gets you there for the most part last time i tried. But the di20he makes the bass better and the sound more organic. Small but welcome difference.

Also, i use a well clocked streamer, although not clocked with the external. This helps too. I think the di20he becomes quieter because the usb receiver is not working as hard.

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #7,117 of 11,309
The guys playing on Thelenious and Gerry Mulligan are music gods. Perfect rythm. They are so lyrical. There playing is as fluid as water. This album is some sort of a masterpiece, it took me some time and many upgrades to realize this. Mulligan is great on sax. And the drummer is no amateur.

May 9, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #7,118 of 11,309
Yes, of course. The reason to this escapes me given since the r7he redoes the timing entirely. Kingwa certainly would have an explananation on this.

Using the onboard with an external gets you there for the most part last time i tried. But the di20he makes the bass better and the sound more organic. Small but welcome difference.

Also, i use a well clocked streamer, although not clocked with the external. This helps too. I think the di20he becomes quieter because the usb receiver is not working as hard.
A classic example for me of my OXCO really helping in areas beyond what I would have expected is my SOTM tx-usb ultra. This little device is after my fanless PC but right before by DI-HE. By the way, even without the OXCO, the SOTM improves sound a little in spite of my OXCO being hooked up to my DI-HE and R7-HE. With the OXCO, the SOTM makes a much more substantial difference. My conclusion in all this is that multiple relocking's make things better and better. I wish it did not, but it does.

I'm not sure I agree in my system with my ears that the OXCO attached to multiple components (besides the dac) makes a small difference. Yes, the biggest one component difference is on the R-7HE, but the combined improvement from the DI, SOTM, and my etherregen connected to OXCO clocking is perhaps more substantial than the effect of my OXCO on the R-7HE alone. At minimum, the OXCO on these three components doubles the improvement from the OXCO attached to the R-7HE only. All this IMHO....

By the way, I still maintain that the total improvement from a $5,000 OXCO on my entire system, although appreciated, and meaningful-- is one of the poorer investments in terms of cost/benefit value in my system. It really is the icing on the cake for someone who want the absolute best, but it is not necessary to get wonderful sound.

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #7,120 of 11,309
I did not believe in burn-in until today: The sound of my new R-7HE21 is changing. I would say it's a little more messy than before but some veil is gone. May be tomorrow it'll get better.
Let’s even be a little bit more patient... I have a R8HE 2020 upgraded to 2021 model and since 3 months the sound is still continuing to evolve in a very positive way... where every week passing I can observe a better foundation in the lower end, an increasing 3D scene (especially depth) and more subtle nuances in the overall message.... a virtuous journey !!!

May 10, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #7,121 of 11,309
Break in is slow and steady with these DACs. The V2 analog DAC boards are the last to come around. Their grain will eventually disappear revealing clearer highs, more depth, low level resolution.. Better balance and more bass. 24/7 power with signal is recommended to move break in along at a faster pace.

But the mk2 was generally “thin” sounding the 1st month.

May 10, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #7,123 of 11,309
A classic example for me of my OXCO really helping in areas beyond what I would have expected is my SOTM tx-usb ultra. This little device is after my fanless PC but right before by DI-HE. By the way, even without the OXCO, the SOTM improves sound a little in spite of my OXCO being hooked up to my DI-HE and R7-HE. With the OXCO, the SOTM makes a much more substantial difference. My conclusion in all this is that multiple relocking's make things better and better. I wish it did not, but it does.

I'm not sure I agree in my system with my ears that the OXCO attached to multiple components (besides the dac) makes a small difference. Yes, the biggest one component difference is on the R-7HE, but the combined improvement from the DI, SOTM, and my etherregen connected to OXCO clocking is perhaps more substantial than the effect of my OXCO on the R-7HE alone. At minimum, the OXCO on these three components doubles the improvement from the OXCO attached to the R-7HE only. All this IMHO....

By the way, I still maintain that the total improvement from a $5,000 OXCO on my entire system, although appreciated, and meaningful-- is one of the poorer investments in terms of cost/benefit value in my system. It really is the icing on the cake for someone who want the absolute best, but it is not necessary to get wonderful sound.

What $5.000 OXCO do you have?

May 11, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #7,125 of 11,309
A friend of mine that builds and voices hi-end speakers (with very good ears) has recently tried the Denafrips Top Line gear (Apollo amplifier + Anthena pre + Terminator Plus DAC + Gaia) with his speakers.

He owns some Audio-GD products (the "2018" R8 DAC, the Master 1 pre and the Master 2H mono amplifiers) and also a Matrix XSabre Pro DAC.

Here are his "overall" thoughts:

- He liked very much Apollo amp. He called it a beast. He loved it's control over the bass frequencies mostly. He said he never felt the same base in his speakers. I think it prefered it over his 2H monos, but he hasn't tried Kingwas new HE-2 Mk2. That would be a good comparison to hear!

- He found the Anthena pre very similar to the Audio-GD M1. Very transparent.

- He liked the Terminator Plus DAC, but overrated for the price. He found it very similar to the Matrix DAC and he prefered the R8 DAC on his speakers. He felt the T+ DAC had better bass control, but the R8 had more natural sound. He found the T+ DAC too expensive for the perfomance. He has also told me that one of the best sounds he has ever heard was his 2018 R8 DAC connected to a DI-20HE plus a good Master clock.

- He didn't get along with the Denafrips Gaia. I didn't ask what he meant with that, but it seems he didn't like it.

He's not a guy who will write a full review and he tried he Denafrips line because he was thinking about upgrading his Audio-GD rig So he will not describe me the whole experience with detail, but I trust his ears and honesty with me. I will ask him if he will buy any Denafrip product after the test.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back