New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Dec 14, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #5,674 of 11,260
Thanks. How about this Terminator dac from Denefrips? It is only around $1,500 more than the R7-HE and people rave about it.

Has anyone ever heard it and compared it to the R-7HE???

I'm still waiting for my speakers and power amps to finish their burn in. What I can say right now is the R7HE is the "price no object" level DAC for people who want a DAC that doesn't alter the original recording. I think some people will agree that the Terminator is subjectively a little nicer sounding, but the R7HE is objectively more accurate.

Mine you, I had an approved 5-figure budget for a DAC. I had auditioned many heavy hitters people would consider "end game".

I didn't really find what I was looking for, and was only coincidence I listened to an Audio-GD R8 and I thought to myself "I'm sold!"

Btw, the Terminator is actually a bit cheaper than the R7HE where I'm from, if you intend on the Terminator, you should be able to get a good discount off retail.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #5,675 of 11,260
I'm still waiting for my speakers and power amps to finish their burn in. What I can say right now is the R7HE is the "price no object" level DAC for people who want a DAC that doesn't alter the original recording. I think some people will agree that the Terminator is subjectively a little nicer sounding, but the R7HE is objectively more accurate.

Mine you, I had an approved 5-figure budget for a DAC. I had auditioned many heavy hitters people would consider "end game".

I didn't write find what I was looking for, and was only coincidence I listened to an Audio-GD R8 and I thought to myself "I'm sold!"

Btw, the Terminator is actually a bit cheaper than the R7HE where I'm from, if you intend on the Terminator, you should be able to get a good discount off retail.

Are you one of those who would hold that the Terminator is a little nicer sounding? Also- What do you mean by nicer sounding? If you had to keep one which would it be?

Dec 14, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #5,676 of 11,260
Are you one of those who would hold that the Terminator is a little nicer sounding? Also- What do you mean by nicer sounding? If you had to keep one which would it be?

There are two types of audiophiles, the dominant type that wants musicality, the minority type that wants fidelity.

I haven't decided which one to keep yet, not until I've finished my burn in. The R7HE is definitely getting more active use at the moment.

Dec 14, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #5,678 of 11,260
Which is the more musical? Thats what I want....

Terminator is the subjectively more musical DAC. Of course high fidelity DACs are also musical but it is in a different way.

Kingwa also makes a musical DAC based on the TDA chip. Might be worthwhile looking into it if you're going down that path.

Also look into the TotalDAC core, it's about the same price and is more musical than the Terminator.

Dec 14, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #5,680 of 11,260
True for me too, that's why I said fidelity is musical in a different way.

Live bands are musical, but in the context of musical DACs, they intend to make the recording sound better than it is. Tube amps are classic musical amplifiers, intended to make music less real but more pleasing in sound.

But for individuals like myself and @FredA we prefer music as if they are real - aka high fidelity.

Dec 14, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #5,681 of 11,260
The di20-he with the r7-he is such an awesome combination, even though the di-20he is breaking in and fluctuates, it reaches heights i had never heard before. It is the pure joy of listening to music, a direct soul to soul connection with the musicians. It is a no-brainer. It can't get much better than this, and especially with the external ocxo at the current state of burn-in. If you intend to do listening through speakers, the experience becomes even more intense as iimaging gets to a whole new level.

Dec 14, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #5,684 of 11,260
True for me too, that's why I said fidelity is musical in a different way.

Live bands are musical, but in the context of musical DACs, they intend to make the recording sound better than it is. Tube amps are classic musical amplifiers, intended to make music less real but more pleasing in sound.

But for individuals like myself and @FredA we prefer music as if they are real - aka high fidelity.

Is the Yggy high fidelity? Because I owned one and was NOT pleased. Yes- the detail was great- but it was dry, sterile, kind of metallic. If high fidelity- accuracy without coloration sounds like a yggy- than it is not for me. I am looking a smoother, fuller, rounder, more analogue sound. I once tried a Mojo Audio Mystique V3 and this was just right- but I don't want to pay $7,000.

Dec 14, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #5,685 of 11,260
Is the Yggy high fidelity? Because I owned one and was NOT pleased. Yes- the detail was great- but it was dry, sterile, kind of metallic. If high fidelity- accuracy without coloration sounds like a yggy- than it is not for me. I am looking a smoother, fuller, rounder, more analogue sound. I once tried a Mojo Audio Mystique V3 and this was just right- but I don't want to pay $7,000.
Many commented similarly on the Yggy. On the other hand, the r7-he is easily the most analog dac i have heard. Its highs are similar to those of a reference turntable. Totally grainless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back