New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Sep 5, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #5,011 of 11,260
In your shoes, I would not worry too much about what each set of clocks in each device is actually doing with each of the firmwares... i.e. which ones are being "used" or which are "better". If you've successfully flashed the firmware before, and if you're comfortable with it - try it. See what you like with your system. My R-8 shipped with V3S, but I tried V3A, TDA_Syn, TDA_Asy, and a combo firmware before updating the clocks and boards. It may shock some, but even after the updates, I went back to V3S. I haven't tried the latest flavor of the day. Assuming, you've opened your R-8 to update your firmware and taken a look around... see below.

re: doing your own hardware changes. Many people have posted pictures of their DIY updates. If you look at those pictures, understand exactly what they're doing, and don't worry about it - then you may be up to the task. That's a question only you can answer for yourself. I will say with a ballpark estimate - if you've never built a piece of audio gear, or substantially modded one in the past, you may not want to take it on. You'll need to be delicate with your de-soldering and soldering. Separate from that, I can't be sure if Kingwa is providing separate boards any longer.

Thank you very much for your answer, much appreciated.
I think you are right, I did some tests yesterday, and I found that Asy3 fits me very well with my headphones. So I'll stay like that !

Sep 6, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #5,012 of 11,260
@Chopin75 That will be some setup for surround sound. The dynamics and low level resolution of the AGD DACs are great for computer games so would suspect that movies would benefit as well.

I would wait on buying three U16s. DDC technology changes rapidly and cannot recommend the U16 unless you want to constantly battle its issues. The U16 with external 10Mhz clock sounds good though. Could only imagine having 3x the problems in a mult-U16 setup. But the U16s are really cheap and may work great for you. You can get it all working with internal USB and see how it goes with adding external components. I use the internal F1 for computer audio and it does a great job at handling anything I can throw at it.
]
When is your updated R2R 7 returning from Magna?
Think my R2R7 has just arrived in Holland. I will test m-ch using USB first which i did before using 3 completely different DAC using Mac/J river!

Sep 8, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #5,013 of 11,260
So I was thinking about the i2s input on the R8 and weighing up if it was worth spending the money on a U16 or SU6 without hearing them first, the SU6 would end up costing over $1000 NZ dollars landed, the U16 would be about half the price but there seemed to be a lot of reports of firmware issues, and in the back of my mind I was thinking USB comes out of the PC, then gets converted to i2s, then gets sent to the dac, why can't I just go i2s straight from the PC to the dac? but those options seemed very limited, I was thinking about the magna mano but it was still a little pricey, then I found this https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/netw...li-reclocker-audio-gd-compatible-p-13064.html
Slightly cheaper than a U16 and it has the benefit of being a player too, basically the i2s of the pi goes into the kali reclocker then gets sent to the dac, so i2s the whole way.

I'm still waiting for a 0.3m wireworld chroma hdmi cable and the allo shanti linear power supply to arrive, I'm currently using the standard switching power supply and a generic 0.5m hdmi cable, but its already an improvement over the USB out from my passively cooled laptop, there's clearer instrument separation, I noticed I can now follow things in the mix that I couldn't before, in terms of software I tried dietpi, volumio, picoreplayer, and moode, and surprisingly ended up settling on picoreplayer, I think it has a small edge in sound quality over the other MPD based distros, and it runs entirely in RAM, I had to enable syn on the R8 running tda_Syn to remove random clicking sounds, and as an added benefit I now have access to hundreds of internet radio stations and other streaming services, I highly recommend it, its great value for money.

Sep 9, 2019 at 5:09 AM Post #5,015 of 11,260
I've already got the raspdigi and I really like it, its only about $250 US, and you don't need a USB to i2s converter because its i2s the whole way, and on top of that its a media server and player too, I'm currently listening to internet radio on it right now, two thumbs up from me. :ksc75smile: I don't think it does DSD though if that's important fro you.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #5,016 of 11,260
Ask Audiophonics if you can put in a Raspberry Pi4B to upgrade the unit, which was released a few months ago. 4B fixes the USB/PCIe-Ethernet bus sharing issue of the Pi 3+ series. Will get better network performance especially if you stream high bit rate or DSD to your DAC

Sep 9, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #5,017 of 11,260
I don't see why you couldn't as long as the USB ports and Ethernet port are in the same place, you would probably need a micro USB to USB-C adapter for the power input, and a micro HDMI to HDMI adapter if you want to connect a display, I don't think it would be of any use for me though as I play music off my external SSD and internet radio via Ethernet, but interestingly this guy thinks the Pi4 sounds worse for audio due to the faster processor creating more noise

Actually it looks like the Ethernet port has swapped sides on the Pi4, so it probably wouldn't line up without modifications.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #5,018 of 11,260
Late at night, listening to Coltrane's Blue Train. Just love how this album sounds with the r7he/he9/m3 combination. I am 75% done with burning the r7he, and 30% done with the he9. The sound is organic, butter smooth. With plenty of spatial cues, rich timbres and great musicality. The setup is on the soft side although the drums and bass can punch hard when needed (not in Blue Train, though) . Instruments feel like they can be touched. Nothing is in your face, but the saxophone grabs your attention, as it should. You have to listen to fully appreciate. Like with a good wine, time needs to be taken. One thing is for sure, one's appreciation of Blue Train can be changed forever listening to this setup. What is does perfectly is exposing this record as what it truly is: a masterpiece.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #5,021 of 11,260
@Turdski

My setup has come along. The he9 now has approx. 700 hours on it, including the 300 done by audio-gd.

Compared to the 2013 m1 i had, it gives a fuller sound, better imaging, and it's smoother. The soundstage has better width and depth. It warms up much more quickly than the m1. It plays very well even cold and i don't notice much of a difference as time elapses. Good thing cause it runs hot, around 40C, even 45 or more when brand new.

Now that it has come along, the overall macrodynamics of my setup (r7he, he9, m3) are just right. There is an overall sense of ease and of an unforced resolving power that is frankly addictive. I never slept so little and listened to so much music as i did these last 2 weeks. Awesome layering too, and rich timbres. And the instruments have a tangible presence.

I have less success listening to my he560 hp set. I would need something that matches the signature of the Osborn Eclipse. Maybe the Ether cx would do.

As it is, my setup has a smoothness and richness that makes it ideal for old jazz, as it extracts the best out of the recordings and does not put much emphasis on defects. Meanwhile, modern jazz recordings, like Redman's latest, Come What May, is a blast to listen too, the bass being viscerally rendered, and spatiality and timbres being top notch, without any "greasyness", just full and and clean sound. You don't feel like anything is smoothed out.

I am totally satisfied with this setup.

Sep 15, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #5,022 of 11,260
@FredA I can follow your description exactlyI Thank you for sharing…
for me, I stay with ASY3 and now with 2xO (R8, clocks and V2).
I now drive my XA100.5 via a Hattor "the Big" balanced with AMRG Trans...passive Setup with short cables. My M1 is already sold. For me, "there is no preamp like no preamp" (quote from Paul McGowan)...for me the absolutely best setup ever.
You hear the different sources and the Speaker-Amp combination, not more...every recording sounds different, independent of the format. Resolution, body, warmth and correct tonality, pinpoint 3D, and room...one of those short relaxed moments,
where you think your system is right. There is no question like "how much better might a R7HE be as a driver"? :shopping_cart:

Sep 15, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #5,023 of 11,260
@FredA I can follow your description exactlyI Thank you for sharing…
for me, I stay with ASY3 and now with 2xO (R8, clocks and V2).
I now drive my XA100.5 via a Hattor "the Big" balanced with AMRG Trans...passive Setup with short cables. My M1 is already sold. For me, "there is no preamp like no preamp" (quote from Paul McGowan)...for me the absolutely best setup ever.
You hear the different sources and the Speaker-Amp combination, not more...every recording sounds different, independent of the format. Resolution, body, warmth and correct tonality, pinpoint 3D, and room...one of those short relaxed moments,
where you think your system is right. There is no question like "how much better might a R7HE be as a driver"? :shopping_cart:
You need to put put serious money for a top-notch passive, but in the right setup, i am sure it does great. The he-9 is one heck of a pre, that's for sure

Sep 15, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #5,024 of 11,260
And the r7he is better, clearly better than the r7, for sure. With the u16 and external clock, it is a notch better than using the amanero. Much more neutral and clean.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #5,025 of 11,260
Fred, in your experience, how many hours does the R7HE need to fully burn in? My local Denafrips distributor (who is also a good friend) wants to bring his fully upgraded Terminator and have a head-to-head against the R7HE at my house. But I want to make sure it's fully burned in before I have him come over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back