New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Aug 31, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #4,996 of 11,260
Thank you all for responses. I will look into this further, its for clocking my sms200 ULTRA and SU1 with SOtM clock board; need 2 10mhz outputs.
Something I wonder is whether the internal clocks are completely "disabled" when connecting a 10Mhz master clock. This is hard to believe for me, I think the accuracy is taken from the 10Mhz via a phase-locked loop (PLL) channel circuit. I am guessing; I could be wrong but it makes sense to me :)
Yep, most likely right about a pll being used. Than the 44k and 48k family clocks have to be derived without introducing much jitter. The good new is it works. And the cleaner the power to the ocxo, the better. In my case, a balanced isolation does make a difference.

Sep 2, 2019 at 1:01 AM Post #4,997 of 11,260
Can the C 16 or I suppose any other external clocks clock 3 of the U16 together ? I want to see if I can use 3 U16 to do multichannel using 3 Audiogd R2R DAC. So I need to clock all 3 U16 together and each U 16 will connect to 1 DAC.

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #4,999 of 11,260
Hi,

I just got a very helpful PM from @Dennis Figg.

""Hello JaMo,
I saw on the forum that you are using a BNC T connector for your 10 MHz clock output. If you are using a BNC T connector on your output you have a impedance mismatch, not only will the output current flow twice due to the combined resistance and the characteristics will be impaired, but the output circuit may deteriorate and the original performance may not be obtained. I would recommend the product in the below link or something similar.

See link: http://www.cybershaft.jp/option01/CYBDS01.html
Dennis"

Dennis is 100% correct here and I actually have used a similar distributor. Now with the Oscilloquartz I have two individual 50 Ohm outputs so now both U16 has their own dedicated 50 Ohm connection.

This is good info. Thanks Dennis!/Jan

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2019 at 3:51 AM Post #5,001 of 11,260
On my side, I'm totally lost now into the firmwares, I tried everything, and found that, strangely enough, only the TDA_Sync provides me the smooth and liquid sound that I liked. BUT doing such, I'm not able anymore to stream at 384 Khz without having noise.

So I dunno anymore what to change or set up. I like I2S via Singxer SU-1, should I change my Macbook running under OSX for Windows 10 and use the ASIO driver ? What firmware are you using now, you guys ? Did you notice a difference between Windows and Mac OS in term of sound quality, knowing that Core Audio seems difficult to bypas while it's easy to forget Direct X with Windows ?

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #5,002 of 11,260
I got r8he some days back. Coming from dac 19, this is sensational stuff. Anyone using master 1 and master 3 should use nothing less than this dac. Its hard to believe anything better exists. My system is transformed from good to exceptional now for the better. Music flows like water with a sunset in background. PCM sounds heavenly even when using usb. Using a good power cable takes this dac to even higher level. I am using furutech fp s022n which takes the noise level to absolute zero. I also noticed that if i use a good power cable then quality of usb cables and ics also dont matter that much, not sure why that happens. I am just posting this message for anyone using audiogd dacs to try using a good power cable to get most out of the system. Its about 100 hrs now so more exciting days yet to come.

Sep 4, 2019 at 7:27 AM Post #5,004 of 11,260
Congratulations ! :)
Which firmware are you using ? Probably the TDA_Asy if you didn't change anything.

Kingwa said its having r8_asy3 firmware by default. He sent me r8_asy, r8_19 and r8_v3 firmwares to try but suggested not to fiddle till the dac is fully broken in. I am using and liking it at 8x os mode. In nos mode it sounds like a refined dac 19. In os mode, it transfers my system to a different level, big dynamics and soundstage, better clarity and resolution, tight bass, music is properly extended from top to bottom unlike dac 19 which was very warm. It just makes music suspend in air and make it flow. Till now i domt find any reason to try a differnent firmware.

Sep 4, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #5,006 of 11,260
Guys, just a noob question.
Considering that my R8 is not upgraded, no Accusilicon, no board V2, doesn't it make sense to use tda_sync (Or any V3 firwmare) in order to use the Singxer clock instead of the R8 one ?
Because, from what I understand, the Asyn mode is mainly interesting when used with those new components. But with the "old" ones, isn't the Singxer clock supposed to be better ?

Next question : Is the upgrade to Accusilicon and board V2 can be done by myself or does it need to be made by a retailer ?

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #5,007 of 11,260
Considering that my R8 is not upgraded, no Accusilicon, no board V2, doesn't it make sense to use tda_sync (Or any V3 firwmare) in order to use the Singxer clock instead of the R8 one ?
Because, from what I understand, the Asyn mode is mainly interesting when used with those new components. But with the "old" ones, isn't the Singxer clock supposed to be better ?

Next question : Is the upgrade to Accusilicon and board V2 can be done by myself or does it need to be made by a retailer ?
In your shoes, I would not worry too much about what each set of clocks in each device is actually doing with each of the firmwares... i.e. which ones are being "used" or which are "better". If you've successfully flashed the firmware before, and if you're comfortable with it - try it. See what you like with your system. My R-8 shipped with V3S, but I tried V3A, TDA_Syn, TDA_Asy, and a combo firmware before updating the clocks and boards. It may shock some, but even after the updates, I went back to V3S. I haven't tried the latest flavor of the day. Assuming, you've opened your R-8 to update your firmware and taken a look around... see below.

re: doing your own hardware changes. Many people have posted pictures of their DIY updates. If you look at those pictures, understand exactly what they're doing, and don't worry about it - then you may be up to the task. That's a question only you can answer for yourself. I will say with a ballpark estimate - if you've never built a piece of audio gear, or substantially modded one in the past, you may not want to take it on. You'll need to be delicate with your de-soldering and soldering. Separate from that, I can't be sure if Kingwa is providing separate boards any longer.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #5,008 of 11,260

The new TDA Asyn does not support DSD on the old V2 board

Sep 4, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #5,009 of 11,260
@Chopin75 In a multiple DAC setup for surround sound you should be OK if all equipment is identical. Otherwise one DAC or DDC may have more or less delay than another causing imaging and phase shift issues.
My plan is to use 3 audio-gd DACs to do this, ideally 3 R7s but that is not cost effective and also takes up lots of space! I am thinking a combination of R8, R1 or R11, for the remaining 4 channels. R 8 is probably most similar to R7 so should work well for the central channel and for the rear surround channels, I really don't need anything too great, probably a R11 would be adequate though it may be a bit too dissimilar so R1 may be better. All locked together using I2S, clocked by the C16 or Muteck or any other clocks. This should work better than via USB as for USB it gets reclocked into each DAC. Pinkfaun can make a triple I2S bridge but it cannot do DSD/DXD so I would still need the U16.

Sep 5, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #5,010 of 11,260
@Chopin75 That will be some setup for surround sound. The dynamics and low level resolution of the AGD DACs are great for computer games so would suspect that movies would benefit as well.

I would wait on buying three U16s. DDC technology changes rapidly and cannot recommend the U16 unless you want to constantly battle its issues. The U16 with external 10Mhz clock sounds good though. Could only imagine having 3x the problems in a mult-U16 setup. But the U16s are really cheap and may work great for you. You can get it all working with internal USB and see how it goes with adding external components. I use the internal F1 for computer audio and it does a great job at handling anything I can throw at it.
]
When is your updated R2R 7 returning from Magna?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back