New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
May 7, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #4,142 of 11,276
The results of some experimentation for all the M7S owners out there...

I've had the Accusilicon crystals in my DAC for 4+ weeks running V3A. I changed to the TDA firmware last night and it was a step backward - loss of bass and less sharp imaging, but perhaps more treble energy (or perhaps this was just relative to reduction in bass). I just went back to V3A and the bass and imaging have returned, with the sound stage perhaps a bit further forward. Kingwa did say the TDA firmware was not for the PCM1704 boards & this has become more apparent since the Accusilicon crystals.

It's really remarkable how much my Master 7 has changed since I got it - Original > Amanero > DSP v7 > Singularity > V3A > Accusilicon.

There are a few DAC manufacturers who offer firmware upgrades, but Audio GD must be ton of very few (if not the only one) who offers hardware upgrades as well. Thank you Kingwa!

May 7, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #4,143 of 11,276
The results of some experimentation for all the M7S owners out there...

I've had the Accusilicon crystals in my DAC for 4+ weeks running V3A. I changed to the TDA firmware last night and it was a step backward - loss of bass and less sharp imaging, but perhaps more treble energy (or perhaps this was just relative to reduction in bass). I just went back to V3A and the bass and imaging have returned, with the sound stage perhaps a bit further forward. Kingwa did say the TDA firmware was not for the PCM1704 boards & this has become more apparent since the Accusilicon crystals.

It's really remarkable how much my Master 7 has changed since I got it - Original > Amanero > DSP v7 > Singularity > V3A > Accusilicon.

There are a few DAC manufacturers who offer firmware upgrades, but Audio GD must be ton of very few (if not the only one) who offers hardware upgrades as well. Thank you Kingwa!

Thanks MIchael and agree the S7 (factory M7S) sounds great with V3A. For further enhancement you should consider adding a Gustard U16 or SIngxer SU-6. Haven't tried the SU-6 with the Accusilicon equipped S7 but the U16 sounds great. The U16 adds clarity, imaging, and good, articulate bass over the SIngxer F1 or SU-1. .

May 7, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #4,144 of 11,276
Tested the TDA Async firmware with my Accusilicon equipped Master-11S, fed by Singxer SU-6 I2S. Tried both NOS and OS 8X. Sounded OK, but I didn't do any serious listening as my clocks are new and burning in.

Now back to V3A firmware with OS 8X, I guess the V3A sounds more dynamic with the older PCM1704 DACs on my M-11S even with just 24 hours of run time on the Accusilicons

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #4,145 of 11,276
Kingwa recommend V3A for the M7S. He says that TDA was optimized for the discreet resistor DACs. But I tried TDA Asy in M7S and it sounded OK after the XO swap. It has been several weeks but may try TDA Asy again with the M7S. So give it a try! You can always go back to something else.

I tried V3A, V3S and TDA Async tonight with my Master-11S fitted with the Accusilicon clocks, listening to some really familiar tracks.

I ended tonight with a preference for TDA Async after coming back to it. #teamwarmpoo haha :)

All testing tonight was on OS 8X only, will do 4X then NOS soon.

May 8, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #4,148 of 11,276
I tried V3A, V3S and TDA Async tonight with my Master-11S fitted with the Accusilicon clocks, listening to some really familiar tracks. I ended tonight with a preference for TDA Async after coming back to it. #teamwarmpoo haha :).

After all the hardware mods have settled I will try various firmware again. Since the R7 is very revealing the various firmware versions and the DSP modes are a great way to fine tune your system.

At one point I thought TDA Asy sounded OK on the S7 (M7S). TDA Asy also works best with a low jitter I2S source (including short cable).

Don't take our words for granted. Everyone has different tastes and equipment. Give everything a try (but act responsibly)!

May 8, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #4,149 of 11,276
For my R8, TDAasy does not work with the PSA PWT via I2S, and V3A seems to be more dynamic, not even in the bass...it feels louder in my chain. But the Soundstage feels different with TDAasy, like you have a different soundstage with less gain on a MC Cart :)...nevertheless, I´m back to V3A.
I tried to install a second I2S board for the U16 (Input 5 instead the Amanero iso board) next to the PSA PWT on Input4 (I2S), and failed, even with the correct cable/plug (no sound)...i swapped back and everything is ok...now the R8 is used :).

May 8, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #4,150 of 11,276
I just loaded V3A and sounds really good on the R7. TDA Asy sounds good with Redbook CD material but high sampling rates sound better with V3A.

And you are power cycling after installing firmware? I get no sound after fresh programming without power cycle. The R8 sure seems to have inherent issue of not playing at times.

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 2:37 AM Post #4,151 of 11,276
Yes, thank you for the hint, off/on and no sound, but i will try it again, due to the fact, that the R8 case is now able to fit the i2s or amareno card on in5.
I have to check the plug and cable setup again, the plugs for both inputs (4 and 5) are epual. So i should have make a mistake...

May 9, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #4,152 of 11,276
The hardware mods have settled in and my audio memory is not that great. But since leaving power on the DACs and DCCs 24/7 I discovered my other system components take 2-3 hours to warm up. So if I make a change have to allow enough time for warm up. Vocals especially smooth out in a few hours.

But the hardware mods do have lasting affect. V3A with the older hardware was always hit or miss on the R7. With any firmware glare/ grain was forward with the old hardware and V3A seemed to highlight that aspect. Grain/ glare has improved with the Accusilicon and DA7 V2 changes. So V3A sounds naturally good now (PCM) and will give it a go with the SU-6. The Smooth variants just seem to gloss over the inherent grain/glare of R2R 7 vintage hardware. I spent a bundle on cables trying to reduce grain/glare on the R2R 7 and slowly worked my way up to V2A/V3A.

Try everything!

May 13, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #4,153 of 11,276
Accusilicon clocks and DA7 V2 boards are on their way to my R2R7! Will post comments after the mods are done.

May 14, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #4,155 of 11,276
The Singxer SU-6 sounds great with the R7 and V3A firmware. Singxer F1 sounds great as well as does the Gustard U16. Just subtle differences where you prefer one or the other. I will try TDA Asy again but V3A is solid on my system with I2S sources.

I powered off my R7 for about 5 days while listening to the S7 (M7S). Both the Accusilicon XO equipped S7 and R7 sound OK cold! Better after a few hours warm up but nothing really obvious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back