New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
May 4, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #4,126 of 11,273
Looks like R7 continues to hard solder the I/O board wire connections to the main board. I clarified the instructions to secure the boards to the main board out of the way. M7S DACs have connectors for the I/O boards.

May 4, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #4,127 of 11,273
Just about everything I read, including from the designer, agrees with that. I emailed Kingwa to ask how the nfb7 with the new opa+transistor serve psus compare to the r2r now as the new psus are described as improving soundstage, detail, and dynamics. I'd expect the superior detail soundstage and transparency to equate to speed in the circuitrys ability to get all that information out. Perhaps just the nature of the resistor ladder vs the ds chip is enough of a delay to describe it as slower? But in the end r2r results in a more natural presentation.
In general the R2R DAC is really amazing for PCM. Gone are the glare, harshness and unnaturalness of PCM. Everything becomes more natural and analogue-like. Redbook CDs can sound amazing and most low Res are now sounding much better. DXD is simply amazing. If your collection are mainly PCM, the R2R DACs are the way to go. The SD chip has been a disaster for PCM playback, at least for Stereo. The latest multibit ESS chips are designed for universal players for blu-ray/DVD etc. They are excellent for DTS etc, huge dynamics - for theatre/movie. One chip can do all (in the past they would need 3-4 SD chips to do surround). May not be best for pure PCM stereo playback. But having said that those who have used the latest ESS sabre chips feel they are excellent still and tend to perform DSD flawlessly. If DSD is your thing, perhaps the ESS chip DACs are safer bet as you won't need to deal with potential DSD noise on the R2R (though KIngwa' s V2 board supposedly will resolve this). But I DSD on my R2R7 is still quite amazing. I am not able to compare it with the latest ESS chips.

May 4, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #4,128 of 11,273
In general the R2R DAC is really amazing for PCM. Gone are the glare, harshness and unnaturalness of PCM. Everything becomes more natural and analogue-like. Redbook CDs can sound amazing and most low Res are now sounding much better. DXD is simply amazing. If your collection are mainly PCM, the R2R DACs are the way to go. The SD chip has been a disaster for PCM playback, at least for Stereo. The latest multibit ESS chips are designed for universal players for blu-ray/DVD etc. They are excellent for DTS etc, huge dynamics - for theatre/movie. One chip can do all (in the past they would need 3-4 SD chips to do surround). May not be best for pure PCM stereo playback. But having said that those who have used the latest ESS sabre chips feel they are excellent still and tend to perform DSD flawlessly. If DSD is your thing, perhaps the ESS chip DACs are safer bet as you won't need to deal with potential DSD noise on the R2R (though KIngwa' s V2 board supposedly will resolve this). But I DSD on my R2R7 is still quite amazing. I am not able to compare it with the latest ESS chips.
Thanks! Ive been considering real time dsd512 conversion after ooyh as well so thats good to keep in mind, appreciate it.

May 4, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #4,129 of 11,273
Thanks! Ive been considering real time dsd512 conversion after ooyh as well so thats good to keep in mind, appreciate it.
Yah, for DSD 512 probably better use SD DAC. So far no one has done DSD512 on the Audio-gd R2R DACs. It apparently uses a simple chipless DAC pathway different from the R2R. (you know, decoded as 1 bit and then apply the analogue filters. I suspect the recent improvement is in the digital processing/filter at the new DA7 V2 board) but I doubt it can now do DSD512. If I am wrong someone here may correct me.

May 4, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #4,130 of 11,273
Yah, for DSD 512 probably better use SD DAC. So far no one has done DSD512 on the Audio-gd R2R DACs. It apparently uses a simple chipless DAC pathway different from the R2R. (you know, decoded as 1 bit and then apply the analogue filters. I suspect the recent improvement is in the digital processing/filter at the new DA7 V2 board) but I doubt it can now do DSD512. If I am wrong someone here may correct me.
This mirrors anothers experience with capturing the output of OOYH and doing a pcm to dsd512 conversion and using a dual ess9038p portable unit for best results.

May 5, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #4,131 of 11,273
The Gustard U16 is playing PCM better on my PC system by selecting ASIO output mode and using the modded Thesycon control panel to adjust the output buffer from default 16 samples to 1024. Was previously using WASAPI (Foobar2000) as I have for years with all my DDCs. I can now surf web pages with no dropouts or static noise as the web page loads! The U16 and DAC mods are sounding good today! And I upgraded the U16's firmware from 1.4 PSA to 1.61.

GustardU16ControlPanel.jpg

By a small amount the Gustard U16 is still king on sound quality over the SU-6. At this time in the run in cycle the SU-6 seems to have more highs but not always as clean. The U16 has less highs and smoother in this region and plays well with added clarity of the Accusilicons and DA7 V2 changes. The SU-6 definitely sounds better than F1/SU-1 and operates without fail. In the end it will most likely boil down to which one do you prefer.

We'll check the SU-6 in a few days. If the U16 is working for you I see no need in upgrading to the SU-6.

Attachments

• GustardU16ControlPanel.jpg
    GustardU16ControlPanel.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 5, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #4,132 of 11,273
Tried to install the xos this morning with the “board lifting” method. All went fine except i was not able to desolder the d... xos. No gap underneath to help me... i am goimg to have the job done by someone more competent. What a shame.

I resolder the xos properly, and the 2 spdif input, cleaned the solder point with alcool. I am back to where i was! :jecklinsmile:

Last edited:
May 5, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #4,133 of 11,273
Tried to install the xos this morning with the “board lifting” method. All went fine except i was not able to desolder the d... xos. No gap underneath to help me... i am goimg to have the job done by someone more competent. What a shame.

I resolder the xos properly, and the 2 spdif input, cleaned the solder point with alcool. I am back to where i was! :jecklinsmile:

Don't be too beaten by it, Fred. It can sometimes be a little hard to get rid of the solder. I usually use copper braids and sometimes a tool to siphon the solder tin off. I also used a small flat screwdriver to get underneath the XO (to replace) and carefully and gentle put lifting pressure under it at the same time as I altered the heating "round robin" on the "lifting side" of the XO..Then the same method on the opposite side. This slowly lifts the XO.. The challenge is very much to have enough hands to work it securely. A bit hand acrobatic. I hope You will find the help or the confidence and desoldertools, to get it done soon. Well You are not suffering too hard. Beautiful music flows, right?

/Jan

Last edited:
May 5, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #4,134 of 11,273
Don't be too beaten by it, Fred. It can sometimes be a little hard to get rid of the solder. I usually use copper braids and sometimes a tool to siphon the solder tin off. I also used a small flat screwdriver to get underneath the XO (to replace) and carefully and gentle put lifting pressure under it at the same time as I altered the heating "round robin" on the "lifting side" of the XO..Then the same method on the opposite side. This slowly lifts the XO.. The challenge is very much to have enough hands to work it securely. A bit hand acrobatic. I hope You will find the help or the confidence and desoldertools, to get it done soon. Well You are not suffering too hard. Beautiful music flows, right?

/Jan
Thanks Jan. Not so beaten, just tired. If i had a very sllim angled cutter, i would cut the xos of. Getting the lead out would then be easy. The xos act as heatsinks. Spent 2-3 hour just trying to get the tin out using a pump. But all is fine, i was very careful. The sound is as before.

May 5, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #4,135 of 11,273
I am done with DIY.

If someone wants my r7 (new faceplate, no Amanero isolator or additionnal psu, no update through the back plate, one optical, one rca, one rj-45, one hdmi, one usb, and one bnc). Perfect running order.. Cosmetics are 8.5 or 9, almost as new. No fair offer will be refused. Will come with a set of new Accusilicons, not installed. Can ship to Canada or the US.

My intent is to get the latest and greatest brand new from Kingwa if a get a fair offer.

May 5, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #4,138 of 11,273
I am done with DIY.

If someone wants my r7 (new faceplate, no Amanero isolator or additionnal psu, no update through the back plate, one optical, one rca, one rj-45, one hdmi, one usb, and one bnc). Perfect running order.. Cosmetics are 8.5 or 9, almost as new. No fair offer will be refused. Will come with a set of new Accusilicons, not installed. Can ship to Canada or the US.

My intent is to get the latest and greatest brand new from Kingwa if a get a fair offer.
Haha, earlier as briefly thinking about this too, sounds like I may as well do the same since I would need a facelift too - V2 board, faceplate, new XO clock etc. But it is only worth if I an sell mine for about $2100 (I am assuming I would need at least $400 for all the upgrade + shipping) I would have to check with Magna. Mine does not have Faceplate. The other option is to keep this as backup somewhere.... Or pay someone locally do the upgrade that would save on shipping etc... I wonder inf Magna would do trade in, which is another option.

May 5, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #4,139 of 11,273
maybe a little off topic, but I am really happy with my stock R1.
I just upgraded the R1 source to a dual-PC setup and was just amazed that the R1 can continue and continue to improve just by upgrading the source.
Using a Uptone LPS-1/LT3045 box powered modded SU1 to feed it. Mostly NOS3 setting but occasionally OS2 works better for some files..
So, although I am sure new firmware, clock chips, etc. would offer improvement (or different flavor), I am so happy with my stock R1 performance that I will just enjoy that for a while and maybe check some new flavor firmwares after the dust settles.

Next up for me will be a new full-upgrade spec R8... thanks to the feedback from you guys I am sure Kingwa will have that dialed in perfectly and for me will be end-game..

May 6, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #4,140 of 11,273
Today , I had a friend help me swap in the Accusilicon clocks for both my Master-11 Singularity and the R1. What a job it was, especially for the M-11S. Glad I didn't attempt it myself haha.

Some shots I took while trying not to get in their way :)

M-11S:
IMG_20190506_144659.jpg IMG_20190506_153314.jpg IMG_20190506_153202.jpg

R1:
IMG_20190506_161735.jpg IMG_20190506_165157.jpgIMG_20190507_210059.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back